Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
The cult of Grimoire is just getting started

0VKhp2w.png
...I would buy this shirt.

We *1.2.0.18* now:
Version 1.2.0.18
----------------------------------------

Hotfix for Skulheim game logic bug.

Under some conditions it was possible to close the pit and then toggle it to open again in the far northeast corner of Skulheim. This meant you would not be able to reach Count Orloch's lair. The button on the wall beside the pit now does nothing. This has not changed any game pointers and should not have any effect other than to make sure the pit is not toggled to open again after being closed.

Sorry, this was a puzzler for me when I was doing the final review. I forgot where that pit was supposed to be closed from and finally did a brute force button beside it, thinking it foolproof. This button could toggle the pit open again making it impassable and dumping you to the floor below every time you would try to cross. This would not prevent you from completing the game but you'd have a nice portion of Skulheim cut off you could not reach. Should be fixed, any other problems notify me and I will look at them right away.

Curious how the metacritic user review scores are so polarized. Aside from one 9, the rest are either 0s or 10s. No middle ground it seems.
The 0s are probably by SJW turbocucks who don't play actual videogames and who weren't born when blobbers were popular. They are useful idiots who are review bombing Grimoire everywhere because they got on the bandwagon that Cleve is literally Hitler and muh safe spaces etc etc.

The game is fucking stellar and still managed to sell 3,5k copies on Steam during its first week regardless of all smear campaigns.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Version 1.2.0.18

Under some conditions it was possible to close the pit and then toggle it to open again in the far northeast corner of Skulheim. This meant you would not be able to reach Count Orloch's lair. The button on the wall beside the pit now does nothing. This has not changed any game pointers and should not have any effect other than to make sure the pit is not toggled to open again after being closed.

Sorry, this was a puzzler for me when I was doing the final review. I forgot where that pit was supposed to be closed from and finally did a brute force button beside it, thinking it foolproof. This button could toggle the pit open again making it impassable and dumping you to the floor below every time you would try to cross. This would not prevent you from completing the game but you'd have a nice portion of Skulheim cut off you could not reach. Should be fixed, any other problems notify me and I will look at them right away.
Thank god I didn't restart that save.

Viata

Arcane
Guess I do have to restart that, since it is saved after pressing it.
Then again: "This would not prevent you from completing the game but you'd have a nice portion of Skulheim cut off you could not reach" means I'm not restarting.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yes, there was an episode on the Steam forums where someone found a seemingly legit keylogger or something in their Grimoire folder but digging revealed that the user had not actually paid for the game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I really have to say, I am starting to hate the end-game battles with special passion.

Enemies that have 10 actions, killing half of your party, casting charm, sleep and all sorts of shit. Not because it is challenging, most often they can't kill the remaining half of the party.

So that just means really annoying, drawn out fight that takes ages to get out and takes ages to recover from (party members with -1000 health, requiring up to five uses of "Caduceus of Life" to get back in action.

I'm simply reloading certain enemies all together. You can either RNG a fight with rapesquad that takes five minutes or ?WORMS? that die before spellcasters even get to cast their spells...

At least I can take pleasure in knowing that all the dumbfucks who minimized their speed on their bards will be arsefucked, since their bards will be dead before they will ever get to act...

So what you're saying is you fucked up by not putting enough speed into your characters? Or that you simply went into an end-game area while not being ready for it?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
We *1.2.0.18* now:
Version 1.2.0.18

See, every time he says "this change won't affect any pointers and break nothing", it is more clear the save versioning is not 100% robust and some other future map changes could (and probably will) screw old savegames.

I'm going to put Grimoire on hold a couple months until it's obvious it's completable, as being banned I can't even report bugs I find anymore so playing current versions will just spoil the experience for me.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The indie developer faggots getting so upset that Grimoire is a success can't face the reality that Cleve is succeeding because he has actual talent and they don't.
Talent is one thing- Cleve has heart.

This game has heart and soul.

Theres a ton of talented devs who just dont and never will.
Cleve actually cares for the game and the genre, and demonstrated it in how casually he acts about profiting from the game. Most of the california based indie developers just got into it for street cred in their circlejerk groupies.

We *1.2.0.18* now:
Version 1.2.0.18

See, every time he says "this change won't affect any pointers and break nothing", it is more clear the save versioning is not 100% robust and some other future map changes could (and probably will) screw old savegames.

I'm going to put Grimoire on hold a couple months until it's obvious it's completable, as being banned I can't even report bugs I find anymore so playing current versions will just spoil the experience for me.

He's just saying that he doesn't need to do any import hacks for old savegames.

Oh, and it's retarded that you were banned by Cleve.

Danthar

Novice
Head over to GoG and give Wizardry VII a go. It costs 5.99 right now and comes with VI too. If you enjoy it on any level, then you'll like Grimoire. And I hope you enjoy it; a monocle would look excellent with your mustache.

I have seen this advice a lot, and I want to add something to it:

And if you do not enjoy Wizardry VII, still take a good long hard look at Grimoire because you might in fact really love Grimoire in spite of not liking Wizardry VII.

Inquisition

Educated
This is easily game of the year. Jesus.

This game has so much heart. So much dedication.

Cleve, you can be so proud of what you achieved here.

edit: except for the new main menu. I still think the old one with the knight looked much cooler. Maybe implement an option to switch that?

Dexter

Arcane
I'm so confused about this game, is there any wiki or compilation of resources explaining everything?
Check muh Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1102535369 :lol:

And if you do not enjoy Wizardry VII, still take a good long hard look at Grimoire because you might in fact really love Grimoire in spite of not liking Wizardry VII.
I was never really a Blobber fan, I think the one I actually played the most was Grimrock but that got boring due to intense repetitiveness before the end. Love Grimoire.

Bros, should I just play Wiz7 while I wait for this to reach peak incline or do I go in now? It's such a daunting game with the promised 600 hours.

I've never completed any of the Wizardry's (I blame birth year) but I do have some experience with RT and TB blobbers -- M&M1-6, EoB, LoG1-2, Elminage games -- if that matters at all. I am not weak of heart and willing to get thunderfucked by these games but am I too green to appreciate the sheer :obviously: ? Please send help, my $40 needs a home.

mondblut

Arcane

Look at his stats and the most OP class. A codex representative indeed (although a sage would be more fitting. Or a berserker). Almost ready to go jester though. Well, other than 15 levelups worth of FEL and DEV. (why so low DEV though? FEL I do get, yet we are anything but non-devoted)

jfunk

Augur
[
What you little piece of trash completely missed is the fact that my post was about Wizardry too.

Ha! I did indeed!

jfunk <--- outed himself as a retard.

That being said, you still missed the entire point of the post you ranted against, which was discussing the what & how difficulty of these games, nothing to do with fighting the UI. And what he said is absolutely true. The first reaction of modern gamers when they get stuck on something is to blame it on poor design or claim it's a bug. It's sad that the fact that you actually have to READ those little messages scrawled on the walls (and remember what they said!), or that it's actually important when an NPC mentions somebody by name.

The UI issues of most of these older games is often a product of the times. My biggest criticism of the Grimoire UI, is just how mouse-reliant it is. Bane's UI could indeed have been much better (more hotkeys would have solved a lot of problems), but once you build some muscle memory after a few hours, it's pretty speedy. Having to repeatedly bang through the inventory over and over trying a bunch of keys on doors is indeed a drag though. But again, none of this has anything to do with the difficulty factor that was being discussed in the post you replied to.

Viata

Arcane

Look at his stats and the most OP class. A codex representative indeed (although a sage would be more fitting. Or a berserker). Almost ready to go jester though. Well, other than 15 levelups worth of FEL and DEV. (why so low DEV though? FEL I do get, yet we are anything but non-devoted)
The old grimoire thread is the proof of how much devotion users in this forum have.

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit...less RNG.

Agent of decline detected.

Butthurt detected. Are you suggesting that having imbalanced and buggy games is part of the age of incline? Or just that Grimoire is without flaws?

No, I'm implying that "you swing, you hit" is decline. I felt that was obvious, but apparently you find the very possibility of missing to be some kind of imbalance. This isn't some competitive RTS where clicks per minute determine victory because every action has a static result. Go swing a stick at a hostile target 100 times a tell me how infrequently factors beyond your control impact your success.

So, are you suggesting that the X-Com remakes are better for having RNG, too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom