Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unexplored - twinstick roguelite action RPG

ColCol

Arcane

This game popped up as an RPS recommend and I was intrigued by it's promise of great dungeon design. I was not disappointed by my decision to buy the game. The game is probably among the best real-time roguelikes I have ever played. It is one of the few roguelikes that manages a healthy mix of exploration, combat, and puzzle solving. The dungeons created by the engine are also top notch and a breath of fresh air for this genre. It is not a perfect game by any means but I feel one or two more expansions can help make this game the next big roguelike obsession.

As a sidenote. I feel the game trailer does a horrible job of selling the game. The trailer makes Unexplored look like some sort of bullet hell game. The game feel more like Brogue then Binding of Issac.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
How does it generate puzzles exactly? Can you give a couple of examples?
Also, it seems rather light on stats, to the point of barely qualifying as RPG, no?

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
How does it generate puzzles exactly? Can you give a couple of examples?
Also, it seems rather light on stats, to the point of barely qualifying as RPG, no?

There are ten stats, but unlike typical rpgs you need to find items and potions to permanently raise stats. This makes it like Brogue. During a run it is very likely that some of these stats will remain at zero.

Puzzles, they're not complex, but they are a breath of fresh air, they include:

1. pedestal puzzle: you need to remove/move the right item from a selection of pedestals. Sometimes you need to search for the items that are placed on the pedestals and only place the ones needed (lest you lose the prize). the dungeon always has clues scattered around about what items to move.

2.You will find strange items that have an unique effect when used in a certain way. Like a glass ball that you need to break in a special room for a prize to appear. The dungeon always gives a clue about what to do with such items.

3. Block moving puzzles

4. Exploration based puzzles- There was several dungeon floors that were covered in spikes that I could not navigate around. On one floor I found a staff that allowed me to teleport. I was able to use this staff to get past the spikes I encountered on several floors. There might also be dungeon areas that are unable to be reached on the floor they are located on , you might need to come from above or below.

These are just a few examples. The puzzles are not complex, but they are usually optional and they break up the pace of the game. You can also turn the puzzles off if needed (I believe).

ColCol

Arcane
Still playing this. The game really does feel like one of the best real time roguelikes I ever played. It is also one of the few real time roguelikes that plays like the classical examples of the genre. Resource management is one the key skills of the game. When you can become powerful you're always far from being an overpowered god like many current roguelikes.

V_K

Arcane
Started playing this, my current character is at level 3 having finished an optional branch at level 4. I must say I'm quite impressed, this game does manage to generate levels that are genuinely fun to explore. Feels much closer to Ultima Underworld or Daggerfall's main quest dungeons (the non-random ones) than to the roguelikes I've played. Also, agree that combat isn't actiony at all, once you get used to the controls it's more about tactics than reflexes. Wouldn't mind it to have some sort of character progression outside of items though, even a simple learn-by-use system would do - the way it is, it just feels that I'm not in control of my build.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played this game a bit.

There is a serious lack of documentation on this game, which can be annoying. Many things aren't fully explained and the crafting system has no explanation at all.

It's a fun game when you are fighting monsters and avoiding traps.

I may play this game another day or two, or I may get annoyed and leave it for a while. Not sure yet.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got it on sale. couple of hours in and this game is great, slow movement reminds me of top down Ultima Underworld + roguelike.
I was initially a bit put off by the one-eye PC.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Stabbed green dragon with a dagger of slaying, 49 dam instant kill muahahaha!

Finally after many hours my first victory on challenging, easy run as I have good loot.

Litle documentation but try the few guides/tips on steam & reddit.
Crafting guide:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...E8yi53h_gLLa2wTEXy2G1nfpc/edit#gid=1178171323

My tips:

26B64095FC1BCE34B9D5FE7CD835D1F1E3E16ABC

Pic: my secondary dagger keeps rat at bay after striking with spear.

For weaker monsters use pointy weapons to poke without swinging, many weaker monsters cannot injure you and avoid attacking you. Dual wield if the primary weapon recovery is too slow. Double daggers is good at the start.
I use shields for tougher enemies, remember to swap shield hands to match enemy weapon hand, you don't need to do active block for swings.
You can back off when opponent swings so he miss and then walk in and strike when he is in cool down.
Go deep underwater to do hit and run attacks.
Or start with archer and shoot the tougher enemies.
Get or forge cloak of mending to heal, make copies scrolls of recharge & you should have lots of healing. You can buy the 2 life sigils from sigil shop if you find it.

10/10 game, minus 2 due to bugs so 8/10.

Part 2 is in the works.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...explored-the-mithril-run.130990/#post-6441056

Completed a Let's Play on the first free DLC, The Mithril Run.
Ranked 10th globally on the LP run.

The third free DLC is awesome.
The Dark Ritual, a random mystery/whodunnit(who & how to kill) where you gather clues to stop where you stop cultist from summoning Cthulhu The Great Old One.

84444232B68CA5FFB52C355EBE3B81BEDBAFE7C8

2nd free DLC is Ripley Run, where you explore a colony destroyed by monsters with acidic blood who burst from eggs. You start with a repeater crossbow and a motion tracker ring of life detection.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom