Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Foxhole - now available on Early Access

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=723054337

http://www.foxholegame.com

Foxhole Prototype is now out on Steam. Free to try for all.

The game itself will be some kind of WW 1/2 MMO. So you will play online with and against other players in a persistent universe. In the prototype though you are more or less just duking it out with other players. But it shows some real promise!
It has some similarities with Running with Rifles, but this feels more "realistic" and refined. It also has a nice ragdoll thing going on, so explosions throw corpses and people into the air :)

Steam link:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460

Their official site for the game:

http://www.foxholegame.com

Video explaining how the controls work and what the prototype is:

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, not in this version at least. Just a combat prototype so it's more like death match at the moment. But damn, it is fun. Played with a friend and went full MG-team. He was the machine-gunner and I was the spotter & ammo carrier :)

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Predicshun: massspam and cheat(just pull the camera out) -> DOA

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Predicshun: massspam and cheat(just pull the camera out) -> DOA

There was one speed hack cheater when I played, but if you pull out the camera you won't see anything, since the game has true line of sight. So you only see stuff your character sees. But yes, cheaters are always a problem in online games.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
speed hack cheater
Worst case scenario. Its understandable that an indie dev cant sync that shit serverside and fight mongos too. Problem is - the amount of mongos is always staggering. And they kill the playerbase faster than any shit gameplay...

As for LOS, it looked like your camera angle and sight cone is fixed but the spotting works farther away than you can see on your screen, not counting obstructions. So the tactic is to pull the camera and scan for easy prey. The game hopefully draws a max range sphere for LOS but if speed hacks work...

edit

Actually, its even worse. Wallhack and spam...

Still very early in dev though... Still a bit of hope.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah, I mean it's only a protoype, and free to boot. So you can just make new accounts if you get banned. I hope it becomes a real steam game so it uses steam anti-cheat services. I see some real potential in this game, especially later when it becomes a MMO.

Btw. Endlösung Did you try it out?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like what I'm seeing - looks like the game will "feel" fun to play.

However, I have strong reservations about a game where every unit is a human player and there are no team balancing mechanics. When I played Planetside and complained about 50 vs 10 battles, the answer was always "well recruit more players then", which is the stupidest shit ever.

Looking forward to trying the demo.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
The devs have a discord server for VOIP support. Some nice guys there. Here is some combat footage I recorded while playing with those dudes:

Join...... us......

The game seriously need players.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Lost all interest, when the wood barrier magically appeared. That killed the whole immersion. I can imagine how frustrating it may be to miss a shot because a magical object just materialized between you and your target.
Instant building is crap on real time games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It's a protoype, stuff like that will most likely change. They are just testing the combat so it's basically pre-everything.

Beastro

Arcane
I wish WWIIO was more popular. Was always enjoyable to play the campaigns when enough ppl logged on.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2016/08/10/Devblog-3-Open-World-Preview

New devlog up. They talk about the transition to open world. This will mean:
  • The playable area of the map will become much larger
  • The game's pace will become MUCH slower
  • Combat will be much more infrequent and there will be more of an emphasis on production, building, supply, and planning
  • During early iterations, the world may feel barren and the gameplay may possibly feel mundane until we get certain features integrated
  • We will introduce new gameplay mechanics including campsites, player constructed outposts, passive defenses, production, character persistence, and collaborative building
  • We will possibly be exploring additional features like vehicles and field guns
Really looking forward to the updates! Check the article for more information if interested.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
They have updated the game with some more "mmo" things now, but I got to say. Large part of the appeal has been lost now. It shouldn't have, since I was looking forward to this stuff... But now, there no clear frontline, mostly just skirmishes. And good luck getting anything than a rifle. The game has been slowed down a lot.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Gave it another chance now and bought it. Many still like to play big mayor of SimCity but I'm having a blast so far. People are actually attacking a lot now, with vehicles and everything. One of the coolest thing is that you can capture enemy vehicles if you kill the crew. Shoot them or gas them. What makes this extra cool though is that there is actual work behind every vehicle since everything is player built with people having to gather the material for it. We turned around a campaign by capturing a couple of vehicles and used them against the enemy. We couldn't make our own since our factories were destroyed. Really like it, felt dynamic.

And yeah, the new patch increased the server capacity to 140. So it's 70 vs 70 now. Some battles get really crazy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Been playing all night. Couldn't leave my brothers in arms :P

Anyway. Tried a new "weapon". The rifle grenade attachment for the normal bolt action rifle. Really fun. When you aim with the rifle grenade you get to see a bit further than with normal aim which means that you can sit in safety behind friendly lines and lob grenades at enemy infantry and best part - workers! With that I mean since you now can see a bit further you can target the guys in the back, the SimCity mayors that are building turrets and stuff. They are often oblivious to their surrounding and don't really expect any danger. And man is it fun seeing your grenade land right at their feet with them totally unaware about their imminent death and then watching them fly up and away with glorious ragdoll psychics when the grenade goes boom. Bonus point if you manage to ruin their structure.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Some other fun stuff I have noticed:

Proximity voice-chat works both ways. The enemy can hear you and you can hear them. Really fun when sneaking around or when you kill one of them and then hear them cry out to their friends to kill the bastard that downed him :)

The trauma kit (to ress downed people) works both on friendly and enemy. And since you can talk to the enemy you can make all kind of demands before helping a downed enemy. Like for an example tell them to drop their weapon when they come back up and be taken prisoner. I haven't seen prisoners last too long though, but it's a cool thing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
So...

Been playing logistics all night. I knew before hand how it worked(somewhat at least) - someone has to make the stuff and others have to transport it to the front, to the soldiers and builders. But what I didn't know how much damn work there is behind it and it's a wonder it works at all. It takes a real team-effort to get anywhere. Once I had my truck built I started taking orders from the Quartermaster. I had to deliver supplies and men all over the frontlines and even if it's mostly just driving around it was really fun. You get to talk to a lot of people and most of the time they are really grateful if you pick them up and deliver them somewhere. Sometimes you even get a "fuck yeah!" when you arrive at the frontline bases with ammo, rifles and grenades. Feels nice to be part of the war effort even if you are just playing as a simple driver :)

What was extra cool here was that there was one guy that took the role of Quartermaster for the whole damn army. With that I mean he was single handedly responsibly for making all the stuff while at the same time taking requests from the frontliners and accepting deliveries from gatherers. He had a bunch of players as staff working under him so he wasn't totally alone in this effort, but he was in control of the distribution of the army supplies. This thing seemed to have formed completely naturally. Apparently there is always one guy that takes that role and everyone else just follows and it works. Very impressed actually.

About dangers. I didn't get attacked but I heard about roads that got ambushed. Drivers and supplies lost, maybe even stolen? (When you destroy an enemy truck the supplies "falls" outside the truck so you can pick it up).
This got me thinking that if you can get a good enough squad together you can completely shut down the enemy logistic and war effort. At some points I was transporting really valuable cargo, like several cases with grenades and other explosives. What makes this cargo so valuable is that it takes time to make, and the sulfur that it's needed to make are really rare. It only spawns on a few places on the map and when you have mined it out it takes 2 hours for it to reappear. And yeah, explosives are needed to destroy buildings, like trenches, pillboxes and such. So without explosives you won't be able to push with the army, as simple as that.

Really enjoyable game, both combat-wise and going logistics.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So...

Been playing logistics all night. I knew before hand how it worked(somewhat at least) - someone has to make the stuff and others have to transport it to the front, to the soldiers and builders. But what I didn't know how much damn work there is behind it and it's a wonder it works at all. It takes a real team-effort to get anywhere. Once I had my truck built I started taking orders from the Quartermaster. I had to deliver supplies and men all over the frontlines and even if it's mostly just driving around it was really fun. You get to talk to a lot of people and most of the time they are really grateful if you pick them up and deliver them somewhere. Sometimes you even get a "fuck yeah!" when you arrive at the frontline bases with ammo, rifles and grenades. Feels nice to be part of the war effort even if you are just playing as a simple driver :)

What was extra cool here was that there was one guy that took the role of Quartermaster for the whole damn army. With that I mean he was single handedly responsibly for making all the stuff while at the same time taking requests from the frontliners and accepting deliveries from gatherers. He had a bunch of players as staff working under him so he wasn't totally alone in this effort, but he was in control of the distribution of the army supplies. This thing seemed to have formed completely naturally. Apparently there is always one guy that takes that role and everyone else just follows and it works. Very impressed actually.

About dangers. I didn't get attacked but I heard about roads that got ambushed. Drivers and supplies lost, maybe even stolen? (When you destroy an enemy truck the supplies "falls" outside the truck so you can pick it up).
This got me thinking that if you can get a good enough squad together you can completely shut down the enemy logistic and war effort. At some points I was transporting really valuable cargo, like several cases with grenades and other explosives. What makes this cargo so valuable is that it takes time to make, and the sulfur that it's needed to make are really rare. It only spawns on a few places on the map and when you have mined it out it takes 2 hours for it to reappear. And yeah, explosives are needed to destroy buildings, like trenches, pillboxes and such. So without explosives you won't be able to push with the army, as simple as that.

Really enjoyable game, both combat-wise and going logistics.
That sounds way better than expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom