Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Latro

Arcane
Lovecraft was terrified of the yellow menace from China, believing they would eventually take over the world
Not a bad prediction, he just under-estimated how ant-like they can be.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So the person who made the class/race chart--are they Marty Meatball on this weeb site or is Marty Meatball a little content thief who never learned how to cite their sources?

http://gameplay.tips/guides/860-grimoire.html

Looks to me like it originated from the steam forums because of the heart censors over "shitty". Maybe this person made it there and posted it or stole it from there. It's a mystery.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Way to out yourself as a retard.

The prison he's in should be a clue.
Your retard is out of prison. For now, that is.

So, I understand this has been in development for twenty years. Should I buy it now, or wait for it to stabilize a little?

Kidding aside, I'm completely new to blobbers, and I understand Grimoire's approved by experienced people. Is it a good entry point into blobbers or should I start with other games first?

It is an incredible 2nd-gen blobber, maybe the best of them all once it gets patched 50 times.

If shekels are a concern to you, maybe play wizardry 6+7 before, as it's very cheap. If that's fun, buy Grimoire. If the price tag doesn't mean a problem, buy it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I understand this has been in development for twenty years. Should I buy it now, or wait for it to stabilize a little?

Kidding aside, I'm completely new to blobbers, and I understand Grimoire's approved by experienced people. Is it a good entry point into blobbers or should I start with other games first?

Buy now!!

Wait. There seems to be a good game beneath this buggy mess, but what's going on in this thread is mostly virtue signaling among hardcore rpg fans.
If you never played blobbers before, play Wizardry 7. If you enjoyed that, you might give grimoire a shot. But beware, currently the developer is breaking the game on a daily basis. Chances are that the party you rolled today won't be playable anymore by tomorrow.

What will never be fixable: There is a huge gap in quality and style of the writing in Grimoire between the original Sirtech writers' work and what cleve added to the game. So if you value writing and immersion a great deal, stay away... but then you shouldn't play blobbers anyway.
Doesn't hurt playing Wizardry 7 in addition to Grimoire. I believe I even have it in my GoG library.

No, not expecting immersion here. I'm more in the mood for some light hearted hack and slash, with the 90s and pre90-s graphics that go well with this gameplay.

Minmaxing is not obligatory in order to play without frustration at a normal difficulty, right?

Thanks DavidBVal , I'll give wizardy a try.

makchanka

Arbiter
:what:

The guy was a harmless shut-in who tempered his racist ways near the end of his life.

Oh, come on now. Little bit of boot never hurt anyone. It's good for you. Gets the blood flowing. Imagine if every gross shut-in nerd on 4chan took a good hiding. They'd be much more stable. Or they'd commit suicide. Or maybe they'd stay the same. Either way. Whatever.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
:what:

The guy was a harmless shut-in who tempered his racist ways near the end of his life.

Oh, come on now. Little bit of boot never hurt anyone. It's good for you. Gets the blood flowing. Imagine if every gross shut-in nerd on 4chan took a good hiding. They'd be much more stable. Or they'd commit suicide. Or maybe they'd stay the same. Either way. Whatever.

Are you some kind of nigger?

Weasel
What will never be fixable: There is a huge gap in quality and style of the writing in Grimoire between the original Sirtech writers' work and what cleve added to the game. So if you value writing and immersion a great deal, stay away... but then you shouldn't play blobbers anyway.

While the edgy "stolen from Sir-Tech" routine never gets old, in this case I guess nobody can dispute that it does owe a large debt to the writer on Stones of Arnhem:

E5fOfa2.jpg

Last edited:

jfunk

Augur
So the person who made the class/race chart--are they Marty Meatball on this weeb site or is Marty Meatball a little content thief who never learned how to cite their sources?

http://gameplay.tips/guides/860-grimoire.html

No, he didn't make it, but he's been including it as screenshots in guides he posts without citing sources. He acknowledged he didn't create any of the stuff he posted as a guide on Steam, but only in a forum post.

Curious how the metacritic user review scores are so polarized. Aside from one 9, the rest are either 0s or 10s. No middle ground it seems.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Curious how the metacritic user review scores are so polarized. Aside from one 9, the rest are either 0s or 10s. No middle ground it seems.

Best guess is that classic blobbers have always been a love it or hate it genre, and since Grimoire is a GREAT blobber those who enjoy the genre and play the game can't help but give it a 10/10 due to its utter majestic magnificence and quality. Those who went in expecting some hand-holding photorealistic bullshit with anime artwork and limit breaks are of course going to hate it. The ones giving 0 ratings are probably younger than 12 too, so there's that as well.

Draxylon

Savant
Just watched today's RetrogradeTom stream in Twitch and... holy shit!! This is THE game, it's pretty awesome! So much fun.
I must apology for doubting about the game and Cleve's work. It's pretty stable now.
I hope Grimoire will success and will open a door inspiring people for doing similar games.

Sherry

Arcane
Just accidentally flushed my entire party down a toilet and had to fight my way out of the sewer. This game really has everything.

Hi.

omg I did that and was not impressed with the back tracking involved but still a cool feature because it unlocked another map area that I could not explore otherwise. lol.

Don't pull levers without preparing for the results!!

Thanks,
Sherry

Nixheb

Arcane
What puzzle me the most at this stage, baffled by quantity of content in the game so far for me (20% !!!) is WHY cleve never posted any new screenshot with new monster or locations during all of those year ? Since 2013, he was only recycling the same hold super demo content... a master troller, indeed.

Sherry

Arcane

Best guess is that classic blobbers have always been a love it or hate it genre, and since Grimoire is a GREAT blobber those who enjoy the genre and play the game can't help but give it a 10/10 due to its utter majestic magnificence and quality. Those who went in expecting some hand-holding photorealistic bullshit with anime artwork and limit breaks are of course going to hate it. The ones giving 0 ratings are probably younger than 12 too, so there's that as well.

Hi.

It is really a lot of fun and like someone else said it is really bringing the Codex together as we puzzle out the puzzles together and give hints to those who need them and simply becoming more of a family than ever.

or the 3rd webbed cord cutting and not figuring out that Khan's weapon needs to be upgraded. it is a lot of fun this community is awesome!

i am just messing with you Viata :hug:
good luck and always tu for your help.
heart.png

Thanks,
Sherry

LootSeeker

Educated

Head over to GoG and give Wizardry VII a go. It costs 5.99 right now and comes with VI too. If you enjoy it on any level, then you'll like Grimoire. And I hope you enjoy it; a monocle would look excellent with your mustache.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom