Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

But that's exactly what I wrote - mentioned "the writing" specifically when comparing it with Witcher 3.

Falksi

Arcane
I had played this back when it came out in 2012 and kind of dismissed it as popamole even though I liked the setting. I got about halfway through and gave up.

5 years of decline sure puts things under perspective - reinstalling it today and the writing is head and shoulders above pretty much everything, including Twitcher 3 (the regular shit, not the outstanding stuff like Baron quest, Hearts of Stone, etc.)

I like the setting and the game is actually much better than the TV show. It's like a Bioware style RPG done right without the SJW bullshit. Not the deepest thing but compared to recent decline, pretty fucking good and especially for a fledgling French studio that had like 1/100th of the budget big games get. This and Styx makes me a fan of Cyanide, sign me up.

Just ordered the game after reading this & reading through this thread. It sounds exactly what I'm after, as opposed to the modern SJW + Open World tiresome drudges casuals seem to be so obsessed over.

In fact I watched a few reviews vids, and the criticisms levelled at the game included - "too linear", "no open world to explore", "quests need finishing before a chapter is close". Just what the fuck? Who are these retarded cunt-faces who think any of that matters? It's as if an RPG isn't Skyrim it's shit. Fucking halfwits.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played this way back in 2013 or 2014. Completed it in 2 or 3 sittings, I was really glued to the story. The combat wasn't anything to write home about, but that wasn't my reason for playing. I'd recommend it to anyone somewhat familiar with the setting.

Last edited:

TC Jr

Scholar
Giving this a download now, sounds pretty decent plus it always adds a bit more personality when the game is technically a mess. Swings and roundabouts

Paul_cz

Arcane
Giving this a download now, sounds pretty decent plus it always adds a bit more personality when the game is technically a mess. Swings and roundabouts
The game is not a mess technically. There are no bugs or crashes or glitches. It is just poor. Poor quality graphics, animations, combat etc. But writing is so good it makes it worth playing.

Modron

Arcane
The game is not a mess technically. There are no bugs or crashes or glitches. It is just poor. Poor quality graphics, animations, combat etc. But writing is so good it makes it worth playing.
The game looks fine and as far as the combat goes it's basically KotOR all over again so I am shocked skyway didn't play it 7 times.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is a game from 2012. I remember it being mostly on par with Witcher 2 in terms of graphics, sans the annoying LOD pop-in that made me give up on Witcher 2 on my first attempt.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It is a game from 2012. I remember it being mostly on par with Witcher 2 in terms of graphics, sans the annoying LOD pop-in that made me give up on Witcher 2 on my first attempt.
You remember wrong. It looks much, much worse than Witcher 2 in both technical and art direction terms.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Is it "2012 Game of thrones good "or "2017 game of thrones good"? Because anything that matters from the last few years from GoT are boobs, gore and mass appealing plots. "Muh immortal hero John snow" "Muh empowered waifu Daenerys" etc etc.

TC Jr

Scholar
Started this last night and played all night. As said before the gameplay is pretty shit but the story and characters are great so far, great pacing too. Don't know why I skipped this when it came out, reminds me of Kotor 2 which again shit gameplay, good story/dialogue.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think this comparison with Kotor 2 is very misleading, the game doesn't have hubs on a proper sense and is ALOT more linear than Kotor 2 was, with way less sidequests, characters and content, the game is barebones, this is a low budget game to milk GoT fans and boy... it shows on all the bad ways. Kotor 2 gameplay wasn't anything to write home about but at least it wasn't annoying as it is on this game, the budget for play testing must had been very low. The story isn't anything to write home about either, the story has a glacial pace at the start, only picking up later but it never raises above mediocrity, it sorts of recycles a few ideas and characters from the books but it isn't anything all that interesting.

This is low budget shovelware, only play it if desperate.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
Is it "2012 Game of thrones good "or "2017 game of thrones good"? Because anything that matters from the last few years from GoT are boobs, gore and mass appealing plots. "Muh immortal hero John snow" "Muh empowered waifu Daenerys" etc etc.

It's a Bad Pussy Game

Deleted member 7219

I think this comparison with Kotor 2 is very misleading, the game doesn't have hubs on a proper sense and is ALOT more linear than Kotor 2 was, with way less sidequests, characters and content, the game is barebones, this is a low budget game to milk GoT fans and boy... it shows on all the bad ways. Kotor 2 gameplay wasn't anything to write home about but at least it wasn't annoying as it is on this game, the budget for play testing must had been very low. The story isn't anything to write home about either, the story has a glacial pace at the start, only picking up later but it never raises above mediocrity, it sorts of recycles a few ideas and characters from the books but it isn't anything all that interesting.

I agree with everything you wrote (although I like KOTOR2).

This game is really bad, not quite as bad as Fallout 4 but still not worth anyone's time.

oscar

Arcane

Combat is actually more challenging than KotorII (what was more piss easy than the already laughable first Kotor) where you become literally immortal. The story starts out decent and gets better and better with time. Very impressively the tone of the series is captured very well (far far better than the recent TV series seasons) with Alester and Mors' respective stories fitting smoothly and believably into the existing setting in a self-contained plot.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I see people with pink glasses issues regarding Witcher 2. :M The graphics were comparable.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Combat is actually more challenging than KotorII (what was more piss easy than the already laughable first Kotor) where you become literally immortal. The story starts out decent and gets better and better with time. Very impressively the tone of the series is captured very well (far far better than the recent TV series seasons) with Alester and Mors' respective stories fitting smoothly and believably into the existing setting in a self-contained plot.
On this case, it isn't more challenging being actually better, being harder just makes the problems of the Kotor 2 combat system even worse, when I played this game I only could think "Oh, boy, now I remember why the Kotor combat system sucked so hard." Actually is worse, I can't forget those awful sections where Mors control that shiite dog of his too or other shiite heavily scripted and linear "story" heavy sections that reminded me alot of the cinematic gaming I despise.

For all their flaws, Kotor 2 and 1 offer much better the sensation of being on a place, allowing you to explore, and not just a linear string of small setpieces that are just background for mediocre storyfagness. This game is barely above a Telltale game in terms of freedom of movement. While the story is mediocre, some dialogs are awful like Mors and his awful impersonation of Darth Vader at some point and the voice acting on many parts is excruciatingly bad.

TC Jr

Scholar
Deep ocean I think you're talking shite, both games are linear (like it's a bad thing) but GoT doesn't fuck about, it knows it's linear whereas Kotor ii was far too open giving the illusion of an open hub world but there was fuck all to do. The quest choices were a lot better in Kotor but honestly storywise I've rolled my eyes less at GoT. I could see myself replaying this at some point whereas Kotor 2 I remember the piss easy combat and trash mobs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished this yesterday. I liked it. There are some interesting characters, combat isn't as bad as I imagined. I thought it was an action rpg, but it's really not. It's basically real-time with slowdown. You can queue attacks and you get to control more than one character. I was positively surprised.

The game is low budget and bare bones, but not everything has to have The Witcher 3 presentation.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I finished this yesterday. I liked it. There are some interesting characters, combat isn't as bad as I imagined. I thought it was an action rpg, but it's really not. It's basically real-time with slowdown. You can queue attacks and you get to control more than one character. I was positively surprised.

The game is low budget and bare bones, but not everything has to have The Witcher 3 presentation.

That said, if it did have Witcher 3-like presentation, it could be 9/10 instead of 5/10 that it got. It could have sold better, and we could get more well written games by cyanide. Oh well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That said, if it did have Witcher 3-like presentation, it could be 9/10 instead of 5/10 that it got. It could have sold better, and we could get more well written games by cyanide. Oh well.
True, but it was a low budget game as far as I understand.

Mark Richard

Arcane
To amend a quote from LittleFinger, 'It has other gifts - the gift of a great theme. Sometimes that's all one needs.'

I've played all the official Game of Thrones titles except Genesis, and they're not going to win any beauty contests. The RPG is budget ugly even during the time it was made, the voiceacting quality runs the gambit from solid to stopping just short of a Jill sandwich, and the highest compliment the gameplay is likely to receive is to be called serviceable. Yet the game's narrative does feel like it lives up to its lineage and makes a worthy contribution to the GoT universe. Sometimes a theme can carry a game through its shortcomings (Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?)

Paul_cz

Arcane

True, but it was a low budget game as far as I understand.
It was, which is a shame. HBO should have been not fucking dumb and give developers bigger budget.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom