Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

LizardWizard

Cipher
The monster hunt stuff is pure incline and a great change of pace from painting the map. Probably CA's best design decision since MTW1, hopefully that's the direction they're going for the rest of the trilogy.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Tomb Kings confirmeded???

RTfHPSw.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yep. A lovely infested infected Chaos Mammoth butthole.

e: Literal Mountain Jews:
f4zx3fm.png

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Instead of Chaos arriving after so many turns, with Norsca you must first do your faction quest and then get to decide whether to side with Archaon or tell him to stuff it. That's pretty amazing. I told the Everchosen to stuff it, ambushed and defeated his stacks (Getting treats for defeating Sigvald and Kholek in the process!) and ended up with a permanent buff that reduces my upkeep by 75%.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The whole faction. You essentially replace Chaos and overrun the Old World yourself.
There is a lot of content in this DLC. I played a campaign for ~250 turns on Hard and never finished all the monster hunts or lord quests.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:
I'm trying to imagine the thoughts or look on the "face" of one of the Chaos gods when his armies got beaten by at their own game and now someone else steamrolls the world in just the way they had planned.
Would it be more an "Awwww, I'm so proud of them!" or "Okay, what the heck just happened?"...

Silva

Arcane
So bros, is this as good as Shogun 2?

Also, I heard this game's AI is similar to the new Civ games where you're in peace with everybody on a turn and then you leave a town undefended for a turn and then stacks of doom come out of nowhere to attack you and then 8 different factions declare war on you. Is that true?

Edit: sorry for the english. really lazy now

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
It's pretty decent. It's certainly better than Rome 2. The AI is less retarded, factions actually expand and behave in ways that are somewhat unique, the different army rosters are varied and it can actually be difficult.

Well, it depends. You have 'natural' allies in this game. For instance, if you're The Empire, factions like the Dwarves and Bretonnia (the 'good' guys?) have a more favorable disposition towards you, so you almost always end up with an alliance or at least a non aggression pact with them, which they won't usually break. On the other hand, if someone is a natural enemy (like the Vampires if you're The Empire or the Greenskins if you're the Dwarves), they'll probably attack you as soon as they get the chance.

However, diplomacy might be harder to manage if you increase the difficulty level. I always play on normal difficulty because the AI cheats as soon as you play on hard and beyond (extra money, free armies and so on). But on normal difficulty I've had plenty of games where I stayed allied with certain factions throughout the whole campaign. This is partly due to the fact that you'll usually be one of the strongest factions after a while if you play the game correctly, so no one will fuck with you. If you fuck things up and are weak, however, they might exploit that and go to war with you.

The only instance I can think of where everyone attacks you - aside from if you're really weak - is if you're playing as certain unpopular factions like the Vampire Counts, because they simply don't have any natural allies. This is in tune with the setting, which I think is a good thing.

Also, some factions are simply more treacherous than others. Greenskins will betray other Greenskins more often than Empire subfactions will betray each other.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I beat Norsca on normal. It was decent. The highlight was when I defeated Chaos (i.e., chose to challenge Archaon). I held a Tribal city (max defense structure) near a choke point where Chaos pours out of when it begins its onslaught. I killed/dispersed 2 initial doom stacks that ran ahead, and then the remaining 4 armies advanced, with Archaon at the front. I road out to snipe Archaon with a lightning strike (this ability borders on too strong). Once I killed Archaon, I fell back to the town to defend against the remaining 3. This resulted in a big open field battle, but it was easier than I thought it would be (the local garrison had a lot of disposable marauders). Afterwards, I just had to chase Sigvald through the map. Ultimately, it was worth it for the 75% upkeep reduction. The amount of armies I was able to field was insane and made the clean up of Bretonnia and Empire easy.

In terms of gameplay, Norsca feels like a middle point between Beastmen and Chaos. You have settlements, but they produce so little income that you need to raid and sack to progress. With that said, gold no longer became a problem once I started to raid Nordland and Middleheim. I banked 200,000+ gold before I even ran into Archaon. The Chaos marks were interesting, and I focused on Nurgle (20% recovery was huge) and then Slanesh (10% upkeep reduction goes without saying). Nurgle's plague was okay (minimal damage), and so if I were to go through with it again, I would favor Slanesh or Tzeech for the special hero/caster.

In terms of units, War Mammoths and armored Werewolfs took center stage. The War Mammoths always had 120+ kills in any fight. The armored Werewolves came in second, with protecting flanks and attack enemies from behind. Also, I had 2 Werekin heroes (both specced into defense and attack traits), and they took practically zero damage. Outside of those units, I just kept a solid amount of shielded champions to maintain a frontline.

One disappointment, however, was that my monster hunter quest glitched. For the ice dragon, no matter how many times I raided the target province for the quest, nothing triggered. Once I locked into the ice dragon question, I could not change to another quest. As a result, my Wulfrik missed out on a lot of neat items. Still, the items were not exactly required on normal difficulty.

Tldr; armored Werewolves and War Mammoths.

LizardWizard

Cipher
One disappointment, however, was that my monster hunter quest glitched. For the ice dragon, no matter how many times I raided the target province for the quest, nothing triggered. Once I locked into the ice dragon question, I could not change to another quest. As a result, my Wulfrik missed out on a lot of neat items. Still, the items were not exactly required on normal difficulty.

Did you try ending the turn while in raid stance?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Those monster hunt quests aren't easy on the first try... Really should have taken Marauder Javelins along for the fight against the Shaggoth. Instead, I took an all-Troll theme army, with a few Marauder Champions for variety. As soon as I saw the first lightning AOEs form, I realized what a mistake that was.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Did you try ending the turn while in raid stance?
I did. I even tried different spots to end the turn on. I think what screwed it up was that I controlled the region by the time I tried the quest.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I did. I even tried different spots to end the turn on. I think what screwed it up was that I controlled the region by the time I tried the quest.

Odd, I controlled the region both times I completed that part. Maybe you were accidentally raiding Kislev? Without the borders mod they become hard to see in the snow.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Odd, I controlled the region both times I completed that part. Maybe you were accidentally raiding Kislev? Without the borders mod they become hard to see in the snow.
That would be embarrassing, but I tried to raid the north west area. Same place where the Challenger of the Eagle (or the final challenger) quest spawned.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I knew about the space bar, but that's kinda cumbersome.
Next time, I will try that right hand menu (never even noticed it...)

Still makes you wonder why they would thank that is a good default setting.

Morkar Left

It looks pretty. But I could do without a 3d map perfectly fine. I would even appreciate it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Where do they learn to become uber archers when their line of sight is limited to 10 meters in their natural environment?
I don't know if their range is hampered, but they did hit a lot less in that terrain. You could see about half the arrows hitting trees instead.

It was very much noticeable - I barely won that fight. Usually, my array of archers kills everything so quickly, I barely use a spear unit.
It's quite funny during sieges - my archers in front of the walls completely annihilated whatever is on top of the walls :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom