Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera vs Pillars - battle of the modern isometric titans

Numenera vs Pillars - battle of the modern isometric titans

• Total voters

Shape

Educated
So PoE and the new Torment are basically the most hyped up "classic" isometric cRPGs of the modern era. Questions to those of you who have already played or preferably beaten both of them: which storyline sucked you in more and why? Which game has better characters/NPCs? And finally, which has the better combat/development/item system?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Numenera as a setting is more appealing, but there was more game in PoE than ToN, even from Day 1. Forget the simplified character customisation, how do you make an isometric CRPG and leave out the ability to freely perform actions like pick-pocketing or attacking?

Yeah, PoE just wins overall.

This short clip is pretty funny though. I agree completely in regards to the tiresome, over-use of generic fantasy tropes. ToN has potential to be better, I hope the core game undergoes some massive overhaul akin to PoE 3.0.

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
I was actually incredibly bored with PoE. Maybe that got better in the later game but getting a background story everytime you expect a dialogue in the beginning was extremely annoying.
It's like scattering a bunch of lore dumps throughout a village and calling it a day. I haven't played Numenera yet (and haven't voted btw), but if it doesn't pull off shit like that it's gonna be alright in my book (writing-wise at least).

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"Numenera: Love and Sex in the Ninth World - By Shanna Germain"
HQbOwQQ.png
What have you wrought Monte Cook?!

eaa.jpg

Colour Spray

Educated
This short clip is pretty funny though. I agree completely in regards to the tiresome, over-use of generic fantasy tropes. ToN has potential to be better, I hope the core game undergoes some massive overhaul akin to PoE 3.0. -snipped twitter link-
I actually hate that line of reasoning. Here's all the things we're not; doesn't mean that the things you are is automatically better.

If anything that line of reasoning can lead to dismissing fundamental precepts of the genre; even if he's right (which he is) about a lot of bad games allowing you to kill fire-breathing lizards. To me that speaks more to the quality of those games than to its usefulness as a pre-established piece of expertise you can expect the player already to have, such that you don't end up having to re-explain old concepts.

Especially in the case of Planescape, where Torment takes those game-playing tropes and uses it as the basis for its high concept take on the computer role-playing protagonist.

That scan though, :hahano:. It poses so many questions. Mostly, why?
Although you have to give it to her, a contraceptive called 'fertility barrier,' that actually makes it easier to cause accidental pregnancies would be the height of female-minded technological advancement.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling… makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

duanth123

Arcane
So PoE and the new Torment are basically the most hyped up "classic" isometric cRPGs of the modern era. Questions to those of you who have already played or preferably beaten both of them: which storyline sucked you in more and why? Which game has better characters/NPCs? And finally, which has the better combat/development/item system?

What the fuck is wrong with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom