Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD Remake Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Crafty Studios; Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (Remake)

The remake of Realms of Arkania: Star Trail was released today, after spending a couple of months on Early Access.

Now some of you probably remember the Blade of Destiny HD release and that the game wasn't received that well. However, a developer contacted us and said they had learned from their errors.

Hello there!

We are about to release Realms of Arkania: Star Trail tomorrow and we thought you might want to add this to your news. We were in Early Access for more than half a year and are now rather fond of what we achieved together with our community.

After the desaster that was the release of Blade of Destiny, we worked hard to redeem ourselves and make BoD the game it was meant to be, and we did it. Now, with Star Trail we included our dearest fans from the start and gave a lot of people the chance to get involved - and boy did they get involved! More than 650 Bug Threads, more than 400 Feature Requests (more than a hundred of them implemented), lots of modding already done and available in Steam Workshop - Star Trail has become an actually good game.

So, if you need anything else in terms of information, support or just want to let me know that you wrote something about us, I'd be happy to help you out!​

I've played a lot of Drakensang and Blackguards this year, who knows, perhaps I'm checking this out when I get that Dark Eye itch again (which happens in regular intervals).

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Kind of sad that Ulisses Spiele doesn't throw some serious funding towards CRPGs - if these remakes were done well, they'd make a killing off the IP.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The graphics are good. I want to know if the mechanics are good or dumbed down.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Kind of sad that Ulisses Spiele doesn't throw some serious funding towards CRPGs - if these remakes were done well, they'd make a killing off the IP.

AFAIK Ulisses doesn't hold the rights for computer games. These are held by Chromatrix.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

AFAIK Ulisses doesn't hold the rights for computer games. These are held by Chromatrix.
They still own the IP though yeah?

Yeah, but I think they cannot do computer games. Everyone who wants to create digital games has to go through Chromatrix. E.g. in the Blackguards manual, only Chromatrix (and Significant Fantasy) are mentioned, not Ulisses. It seems that they hold an old license which Ulisses cannot (or doesn't want to) touch - even though they bought the exclusive rights.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This game is awesome and fixed all the whining items from the first. This is Grimoire's only competition for GOTY and I think it may be the better game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Graphics look very mid-00s but I suppose that's the best one can do with the budget they have. That barebones inventory screen is so appallingly lacking in art direction, but given Unity, I guess they may be doing what they can to improve performance.

Since it's not a complete embarrassment it looks like 2017's going to be a year full of surprises. :cool:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Graphics look very mid-00s but I suppose that's the best one can do with the budget they have. That barebones inventory screen is so appallingly lacking in art direction, but given Unity, I guess they may be doing what they can to improve performance.

Since it's not a complete embarrassment it looks like 2017's going to be a year full of surprises. :cool:

Lacking of consistence and art direction was a big problem with the first game and it's the last thing a programmer driven company will invest in because they literally "don't see" the problem.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think about buying and shelving it unplayed to support their work. Though maybe that's meaner than not buying it. I still have the boxed special edition of the first somewhere.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know how that trailer is supposed to attract anybody. All they show is completely barren, low-poly environments with poor textures and even worse lighting. No gameplay, nothing. Why exactly should I care at all?

Because:

DISCOVER AND EXPERIENCE

:lol:

Well, if it also has "WALK AND LOOK" I'm sold.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just started playing the Blade of Destiny remake. After all those patches, I guess I might as well.
Holy shit, obviously made for 4-direction movement games and weird ass MMO style mouse-look do not work together well. At all.

Also, I just realized how weirdly many taverns there are in Thorwal. Every 2nd house is a fucking pub. Drunkards :lol:

Really, a "remake" version using the same graphics, slightly modernized UI and improving the rules as they did (like removing non-used spells or that nonsense Jester class) - that would have been much better.
But meh-at-best 3D graphics are doing the game a disservice.

Morkar Left

The graphics are good. I want to know if the mechanics are good or dumbed down.

They improved the rule systems / mechanics compared to the original games. Basically they took the old DSA edition and added optinonal rules, mostly inspired from the latest editions, to it.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Yeah, but I think they cannot do computer games.
Ah, I just meant serving as more of a benefactor. It would help Dark Eye overall.
They are still merely the biggest fish in a very small pond. I don't think they'd have the resources to do more than write related adventures to cross-promote even if they wanted to. I very much get the impression that if they'd do any amount of reasonable financing of a video game, they'd be risking literally everything. And The Dark Eye has seen more than enough bankruptcies in my book. Who knows, maybe their North America subsidiary and all those sweet heretical Warhammer 40,000 moneys will end up filling their coffers enough for such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom