Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Morning, guys.

Here´s METRIC in a nutshell: The level of your stat, say INTELLECT, will be the cap for your skills. If you have an INT of 3, you can then assign up to three points in Visual Calculus or Conceptualization or another INTELLECT skill. You can also have no points in any given skill. I guess that would be the equivalent of "untrained" or something of the like. So if you have zero points in Vis-Calc - you won´t be able to use that skill. If you want to be a super duper brainiac type character - you better max out your INT up to 6 so you can put so many points in the INT skills either when you´re creating the character (you´re going to miss out on those other skills) or as you level up (like a normal person).

Now I'm a bit more confused :D

So, the article I linked is a bit outdated?

Because I understood the statement

"In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

as: I start a game with Intellect of 6 (parent attribute) and have 6 points in Visual Calculus because of that. Should it instead be

"In the beginning the MAXIMUM amount of points you COULD have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

?

If that's so, then I got it :)
My bad, I gave you wrong info.

:shitposting:

The rolls are affected by STAT + SKILL. So you can use the skill, and even succeed with high enough INT but the more difficult rolls will be highly unlikely.

I´ll run it again from the beginning:
If you have an INT of 3, you have the skill cap at 3 - BUT - it is as if you have a natural ability (of 3 points) in the skill. You can add up to three points to that skill (effectively giving you a bonus of 3+3=6 for a roll).

Now, with a starting Physique of 4 I coud put 2 points in Half Light and 2 points in other of 5 Physique-related skills, right?

With a Physique of 4 you could put 4 points into Half Light and 4 points into Shivers - if you had so many points.

Last edited:

Lexxx20

Learned
Okay, now it's clearer to me :) Do you already know the starting amount of attribute points? Which we can use during the character creation.

Regarding 4 points of Physique - I was asking about the character creation too, mate :) So at the start of the game with a Physique of 4 I can invest only 4 points in any Physique-related skills, right? I get it that I can pump any of these skills to 4 later if I want, but I'm asking about the starting scenario at the moment.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks PJ!

I thought it'd be more involved in how you perceive evidence instead of your political leanings - which would have been a lot more interesting to me tbh.

Every detective is a person and has their own convictions - these color the way they perceive a situation, an interviewee, or a whole case.

Prime Junta, hello, comrade. I have a question regarding METRIC that - I hope - you can answer for me. I'm translating this article about METRIC right here and stumbled upon these sentenses:

1 In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute.

2 The maximum amount you can spend on a Skill is equal to it’s Attribute. (Natural aptitude equals the learning cap).

Now, am I right that having Intellect of 3 means I start with Encyclopedia skill of 3 and can further pump it by 3? So, starting attribute of 3 means that all associated skills can be raised to 6?
Morning, guys.

Here´s METRIC in a nutshell: The level of your stat, say INTELLECT, will be the cap for your skills. If you have an INT of 3, you can then assign up to three points in Visual Calculus or Conceptualization or another INTELLECT skill. You can also have no points in any given skill. I guess that would be the equivalent of "untrained" or something of the like. So if you have zero points in Vis-Calc - you won´t be able to use that skill. Oops, no. The rolls are STAT + SKILL, so you can still use the skill, but the more difficult ones will be beyond you.

If you want to be a super duper brainiac type character - you better max out your INT up to 6 so you can put so many points in the INT skills either when you´re creating the character (you´re going to miss out on those other skills) or as you level up (like a normal person).
cool, it is always bother me in falloug new vegas especially, you can have 1 int point but have 100 points in science or whatever and still pass skillcheck and talk like a professor in one dialogue and dumb doofus in other

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Do you already know the starting amount of attribute points? Which we can use during the character creation.
Not yet.

Regarding 4 points of Physique - I was asking about the character creation too, mate :) So at the start of the game with a Physique of 4 I can invest only 4 points in any Physique-related skills, right? I get it that I can pump any of these skills to 4 later if I want, but I'm asking about the starting scenario at the moment.
I´m also talking about character creation - but about the METRIC in general, not necessarily about No Truce. If at the start of a game you assign 4 points to FYS (Fysique) - you could put up to 4 points in each skill - if you had the points for it. What I mean by that is that if you didn´t put any points into INT, PSY or MOT skills - you could boost up all your FYS skills. How this will play out in the release build of the game is still in review so don´t quote me on this.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Do we have a release date?
We will (REMEMBER GRIMOIRE)

I know you guys don´t care much for art, but here´s some art anyway:

Lx4DT2l.gif

e6eCnpM.gif

These are clean renders before painting and then in-game art after herr Rostoff´s paintover

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As said before - tough to show in a demo. We'll try our best, though.
Tough, why's that?
No Truce is not an action game. Note how all that even Pillars and Pillars 2 show in videos are magic effects and majestic camera pans? They did that interactive dialogue thing with Torment, true, but we don´t have the resources for that right now.
Make do with more pix of Showering Klaasje or whatever her name is.

Lexxx20

Learned
Kasparov, Marat Sar Hey guys, it's me again. I've finished the translation of your Metric system and one of our readers got 2 questions for you. I'd be cool if you can answer them :)

1 How far apart are the choice and its consequences?

2 Is there any mechanics to protect the game from save/load abuse (Iron Man, etc.) or check rerolls (the red ones, I guess)?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov, Marat Sar Hey guys, it's me again. I've finished the translation of your Metric system and one of our readers got 2 questions for you. I'd be cool if you can answer them :)

1 How far apart are the choice and its consequences?

2 Is there any mechanics to protect the game from save/load abuse (Iron Man, etc.) or check rerolls (the red ones, I guess)?
1) If I think it's what you mean then that is based on the type of situation and the kind if choice you have to make. If you insult someone - they might react immediately or refuse to help you down the line. Same goes for helping/successfully influencing someone - they might blush and nod thanks right then and there or react in a more complex way over time. A more complex choice usually leads to a more complex consequence. Sounds pretty straighforward, right? What makes NTWtF different is that sometimes you could get a better consequence when you fail. This will make sense once you get your hands on the game.

2. Our market research shows that our target audience has well developed willpower combined with inhuman self control and is not a bunch of whiny pansies :))

Last edited:

Prime Junta

If were you I'd just make Ironman the only mode. This is the perfect game for it.

Except if you go full liberal. The perk would be to unlock unlimited save/reload abuse, so you can change your mind and go with the prevailing wind as much as you like.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
If were you I'd just make Ironman the only mode. This is the perfect game for it.

Except if you go full liberal. The perk would be to unlock unlimited save/reload abuse, so you can change your mind and go with the prevailing wind as much as you like.
I think the game itself wouldn´t lose much if it went full ironman - except for a bunch of players who like saving and loading.

Hey guys, it's me again. I've finished the translation.
Also! Dude, Lexxx20, a massive thank you for doing this!

Robert had this to say:

1) How far apart are the choice and its consequences?

Robert:
These are honestly quite insane to write, the constant trickle of game acknowledging your small stylistic, whim-of-the-moment ideas. The game takes note of thoughts that your player has. These thoughts ferment and then may resurface later in unexpected ways. There is a lot of humour and romantics-of-the-everyday built around that. As to the giant Witcher 2 "did that in point A = go to city B later"; or "someone comes and tries to kill you because you killed their brother" type stuff -- there's some long term stuff in there, but I'm less keen on "punishing" or "wowing" the player with such C&C. Honestly I prefer the game acknowledging the player's actions to be shorter term and organically evolving. And very skill based too, so having had that skill there gives you this option here. I try to do as little KILL / MERCY moral cliffhangers as I can get away with. I want the major moments of choice to take place in the character's inner world. NTWtF is a realistic setting, not a Greek tragedy.

2) Is there any mechanics to protect the game from save/load abuse (Iron Man, etc.) or check rerolls (the red ones, I guess)?

Robert:
Every situation we write has to be written in a way that is so dramatically satisfying the player does not WANT to betray it. Does not want to wipe it clean with a save. Especially the failures. We intend you to do some serious character building here and not betray that character if at all possible. And we as writers will help you do that. I can't promise this will be the first RPG you don't want to save-scum, but it's certainly my goal to make it one.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom