Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing The Witcher and corridor shooters makes you retarded - now scientifically proven

The Fish

Arcane
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-brain-differently-depending-on-what-you-play

"In the majority of action video games, there's an onscreen GPS overlaid on the screen," West says. "There's also wayfinding markers overlaid over the environment, and we know from past studies that when people are encouraged to navigate using these cues, really, they're not using their hippocampal memory system to navigate."
"While we train up this one system, this other system is potentially being neglected and potentially showing signs of atrophy," West says.
"It could be the case that these action video games are encouraging people to favor this reward system over their hippocampal memory system. And then it's become the use-it-or-lose-it type scenario."

Like we even need a special study to tell us that. Compare the way your head feels after extended amount of time playing Thief and your typical modern "follow the quest marker" game. Gee I don't know, show me the scientific studies for that!

Last edited:

torpid

Liturgist
You, vidya gamer: playing The Witcher 3 with witcher sense active at all times
Me, hippocampus-enhanced genius: playing Thief with eyes closed, navigating by dead reckoning and sound cues

Deflowerer

Arcane
...potentially...

...could...

yep; this appears to be a sound study from a reputable source

Tbh that's usual science/paper lingo. Just because you get a statistically significant result doesn't actually mean your hypothesis is true, you just reject the null hypothesis.

But given that we have things like sugar tax, I propose retardation tax on games causing brain atrophy. Only monocled games exempted from this.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In other science, playing :obviously: games like Grimoire and Age of Decadence makes latent 'thal traits genes express and turns you into an überman.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
9uZk8ck.png

Mojobeard

Augur
Wouldn't the same be true to driving with a GPS then? Oh wait, people might actually call out your bullshit study then. This way they get media's attention and half the gamers will even believe it.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like we even need a special study to tell us that. Compare the way your head feels after extended amount of time playing Thief and your typical modern "follow the quest marker" game.

While the OP's study is basically common sense (i.e., if you don't need to use your memory, then you are obviously not going to use it,) I think this is a worthy area of study. I have noticed that I feel somewhat "nauseous" (psychologically speaking) and dumber after playing those games, and it's the same feeling I experience after watching modern actions movies or doing repetitive, mind-numbing activities for a long time. I feel like some of my levels have been drained.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wouldn't the same be true to driving with a GPS then? Oh wait, people might actually call out your bullshit study then. This way they get media's attention and half the gamers will even believe it.

Who says it isn't true? Obviously it is the same for driving.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Turn off the gps hud, it's feels really dumb to play a high-end downgraded-graphics game, and then all you look at is the gps hud.

Spend five minutes playing without gps and rage at the fact you have to toggle your world map every 10s. But at least after 50 hours, you know where every pathway on Skellige leads to.

Zer0wing

Cipher
To be honest, Thief map design was linear enough to "guess" the right path, no big deal of a game. Now if you want to see how western gaymers would lost in a less linear game, say.. Deus Ex, just boot up DX: Mankind Divided before one and turn off markers.
Where is Caius Cosades?
Where is NSF commander?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest, Thief map design was linear enough to "guess" the right path, no big deal of a game. Now if you want to see how western gaymers would lost in a less linear game, say.. Deus Ex, just boot up DX: Mankind Divided before one and turn off markers.
Where is Caius Cosades?
Where is NSF commander?
Lolwut? Thief's map design is anything but linear.

Chicks couldn't even drive a cab before. Now we have women who hate games in gaming.

The quest compass is SJW.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Lolwut? Thief's map design is anything but linear.
Sure, there are branches and optional paths, but the premise is still the same walk from A to B and back to A. In more comprehensive language, Thief's difficulty and complexity is way too overrated. It's still playable PC game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom