Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Weasel
Imagine some random steamtard just checking out this game for the first time, discovers a whole new world...

cOqogcz.png

Lambach

Arcane
Imagine some random steamtard just checking out this game for the first time, discovers a whole new world...

cOqogcz.png

Cleve is implicitly comparing splitting the atom with developing one of the buggiest blobbers ever released. I don't believe that above-average people should be modest and humble just to avoid hurting average people's fee-fees, but goddamn, talk about delusions of grandeur. :lol:

valcik

Arcane
He might want to wait a week or two since deleting everyone's saved games before boasting about IQ...
Jumping at high horse only a couple of hours after blaming hax0rz for his own royal fuck up in his own code is a part of good ole Cleve's charm, you can't expect anything else. These huge neanderthal balls of his must be responsible for that! Let him galloping at full speed for the lulz, until he inevitably ride into another problem knocking him off for a day or two..

:troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From the Rock Paper Shotgun article:

In perhaps the greatest divergence from what we now call RPGs, your team of characters have no personality whatsoever, let alone interact with each other

Alec "biodrone" Meer, your RPGs are nothing but lies and balderdash and have nothing to do with Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.
johnwalkerz6juj.png

rpsqkkjq.png
Funny thing is, he is right. :troll:

Although he is missing the point that it is not about a game being easy or hard, it is about being easy because of simplified mechanics. Old games could be easy, but they still had interesting, complex systems (e.g Fallout). Today's games are easy because they are simple as a rock. (There are exceptions of course)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Uh oh...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615862858084/

Grimoire 1.2.0.14 Update
Version 1.2.0.14
----------------------------------------

Force source of truth to globally ID items preset by vendors for display

Fixed Music and Stealth improving on a single learning point success

XP Adjusted on Rockwyrms, Giant Bats, Festerboils and Fire Beetles

Enmity decay fixed for NPCs, they will eventually cool off if atrophy flag set

Confirm end game in Combat dialog

Fixed "animeng" assert #726 Failed link spawn because of monster condition block

Fixed "Knock-Knock" crashing locks with zero difficulty set only opened by keys

Reduced tooltips hover time

Fixed "Amulet of Might" crash on wrong spell channel

Fixed bad CGX index in Samhain Underworld

dionizeno

Novice
Haters gonna hate. All the librul-faschists want is engage us in stupid discussions about w/e (funny) bullshit Cleve pulled and make people forget that he wrote and actually released a great oldschool crpg. Ignoring their mimimi and banning them is the best way to go - at least on steam.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing I don't like are the meta self-references, like the Orb of Codex or the Cornerstone of Hyperborea. I appreciate Cleve's ability to make fun of his history of failed promises and crushed dreams but goddamn, does it disturb the immershun. I could swallow these wink-winks if they were really hard to find and weren't so frequent. For me, a blemish on a momentous game.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One thing I don't like are the meta self-references, like the Orb of Codex or the Cornerstone of Hyperborea. I appreciate Cleve's ability to make fun of his history of failed promises and crushed dreams but goddamn, does it disturb the immershun. I could swallow these wink-winks if they were really hard to find and weren't so frequent. For me, a blemish on a momentous game.

Just wait until you meet the Entity. You will LOVE him...

Also, I love how you can sell cursed items along for their full price...

MKGNG3q.jpg

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Considering the presence of pastry-based WMDs and ACME-branded vending machines in Hyperborea, my suspension of disbelief is much too deep to be disturbed by such things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
John Walker and perhaps whoever he's arguing with is conflating skill ceilings with skill floors. Almost all RPGs back in the 80s and 90s had high skill floors, even if their ceilings were pretty low (e.g. Might and Magic, Fallout, even Torment if you actually try to fight things). There are grognards who want that high barrier to entry to keep the dummies out, even if many modern designers disagree.

Perhaps he changed it for release, but my experience with Briarwood and Aquavia in the superdemo wasn't all that demanding once I started my serious attempt at getting through it. Meanwhile, those unable to clear the skill floor think it's one of the most harrowing experiences ever.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
FUCK!

JAuW380.jpg

64 AC seemed a bit too good to be true...

Yeah, I noticed that too. Though the minus AC is triggered differently by different armor spots and on different characters, so it's worthwhile to reshuffle a bit. We should also check whether it is just a display error, or whether some buggy shit happens in combat when it is in minus like that.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In terms of self-references and verisimilitude you should compare Grimoire to the Zork games, I think. If you have once gotten used to Zork, then you will find such things like ACME vending machines more easy to swallow.

BTW: Contribute to the Wiki!

Lazarus

Novice
Mac users: The other day I posted a wineskin wrapper to run Grimoire on Mac, and I've realized there was a problem with it. Although sound effects worked, it wasn't playing the MIDI music! Personally I had other music playing, so I didn't even notice. I've now fixed the problem and here is the new wrapper with everything working. It won't break your saves ;-)

https://mega.nz/#!ZFgFRDpK!94US6qfhUP5xLuL6Fi9TtiLbdx2mMtoUbKYaqhMTEAo

Unzip, show package contents, & there is an empty Grimoire folder in Program Files. Copy your Grimoire files into this folder (no subfolders), and Bob's your uncle.

:terrorist:
Awesome! Thanks!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom