Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

bylam

Funcom
Developer
When most people buy these games, they don't buy them all excited for unofficial servers where they may or may not be able to enjoy the game depending on the kind of people moderating them. They buy them thinking that the company they are paying will put up official servers where they will be able to play with other people under proper admins who won't abuse their control. When you are making a game like this, the official servers are a part of the service you are providing. You're damn right I have problem with how you have YOUR servers configured since it affects ME, a paying customer.
To be clear, I am not arguing with your right to be annoyed, I just think it is a tad hyperbolic to treat it as a scam. A large majority of players are not playing the way you play.

So just to be clear, instead of making areas like dungeon entrance, "non-buildable" like you JUST did in a patch with NPC spawn areas, your solution is to not have any PvE servers where people can play from different regions? Alrighty then..
Obviously there is a limit to how much of the playable map space you want to eat up with those sort of blocking areas. All the dungeons already had those blocking volumes since before launch - we're still getting reports of dungeons being blocked on PvE servers. I

Anyway, done with the game, deleted it. Not going to leave a negative review though since I've played this game enough (80+ hrs) and I enjoyed my time with the friends I made on unofficial servers (who were all waiting for unofficial servers but nvm that now..). And as a developer myself, I do hate people leaving negative reviews for one-two things they didn't like while enjoying most of the game.
Hopefully by the time Early Access is over, everything will be improved to a point that makes you happy.

ortucis

Prophet
To be clear, I am not arguing with your right to be annoyed, I just think it is a tad hyperbolic to treat it as a scam. A large majority of players are not playing the way you play.

I didn't say it was a scam, I said it was "scam..ish", which just means it feels that way but isn't, probably.

Obviously there is a limit to how much of the playable map space you want to eat up with those sort of blocking areas. All the dungeons already had those blocking volumes since before launch - we're still getting reports of dungeons being blocked on PvE servers.
How is that the case? Nobody should be building anywhere near or in front of the dungeons at all. Considering most servers are running at 40 players max (and I've yet to see any unofficial server fill that up, max I've played on has been like 25), there is enough map left to create a player house. Besides, you can just always create blockable areas which can be turned on-off by admins. Turn dungeon blocking on/off, turn NPC base blocking on/off, etc.

I personally haven't seen anyone block dungeons in any servers, not saying it isn't the case, but just give admins option to increase/decrease radius of blockable areas if it's a big problem. Or here's another idea, instead of making it a "no build zone" simply make it a "destructible zone" where if you build ANYTHING in these certain areas, any other player, even in PvE ,can take your structure down easily with just an iron pick-axe, without needing the admin to turn on "structure damage" for players. There, problem solved.

Hopefully by the time Early Access is over, everything will be improved to a point that makes you happy.
I am sure the gameplay will be improved, I was excited about every update up until now. But I have been waiting for official servers to play online without the risk the unofficial servers come with (you know, admin getting bored and shutting it down any day, for one). All your servers are useless to me now because all Asian servers will be 400+ ping for me in Southeast-Asia (India, primarily).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is that the case? Nobody should be building anywhere near or in front of the dungeons at all. Considering most servers are running at 40 players max (and I've yet to see any unofficial server fill that up, max I've played on has been like 25), there is enough map left to create a player house. Besides, you can just always create blockable areas which can be turned on-off by admins. Turn dungeon blocking on/off, turn NPC base blocking on/off, etc.

I personally haven't seen anyone block dungeons in any servers, not saying it isn't the case, but just give admins option to increase/decrease radius of blockable areas if it's a big problem. Or here's another idea, instead of making it a "no build zone" simply make it a "destructible zone" where if you build ANYTHING in these certain areas, any other player, even in PvE ,can take your structure down easily with just an iron pick-axe, without needing the admin to turn on "structure damage" for players. There, problem solved.
Isn't the problem with all of this that people could just build around it?
If the radius of that zone is 10m, for example, well just build around it at 12m. At some point, it becomes too much to do, yes, but at that point it also takes away LOTS of space, doesn't it?

I don't really see how that could be fully solved other than by reporting & moderation, which takes lots of time I'd assume.

ortucis

Prophet

Isn't the problem with all of this that people could just build around it?
If the radius of that zone is 10m, for example, well just build around it at 12m. At some point, it becomes too much to do, yes, but at that point it also takes away LOTS of space, doesn't it?

I don't really see how that could be fully solved other than by reporting & moderation, which takes lots of time I'd assume.

People can build walls all over the map, that's why admins exist on a server.

Also, are you suggesting that people will go around building a fucking wall around a large area of map and not get attention of admin. Stop making excuses for Funcom, they are good at making up excuses already.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

Also, are you suggesting that people will go around building a fucking wall around a large area of map and not get attention of admin. Stop making excuses for Funcom, they are good at making up excuses already.

Official servers don't have admins...and never have.

ortucis

Prophet

:lol:

Anyway, saw some videos on ARK for the first time on YT and I'm stunned how much Conan rips off. Almost feels like a mod for ARK. Then checked Steamcharts:

Conan Players
7,567 - playing now
16,525 - today's peak
53,402 - all-time peak

ARK Players
35,030 - playing now
63,413 - today's peak
100,723 - all-time peak

Makes me wonder why Conan was released in a half-arsed EA state when it was basically copying ARK instead of doing something new with the gameplay. They would've gotten more players if they had at-least had the basics down and shown some semblance of a world that isn't barren lore-wise as well. I'd be really surprised if this game reaches "finished" state in a year from now and won't be just abandoned by Funcom after the funds dry out.

Oh and their forums are filled with people complaining about region locks because of Chinese. "Not a big deal, you are overestimating the problem.." they said. This is what happens when you have no idea what your own audience wants and take decisions randomly without coming up with proper solutions. Then again, people have already seen everything this game has to offer, which is nothing but "BUILD BUILD BUILD.. destroy building.. BUILD AGAIN DERP!". There is absolutely nothing interesting to keep you going after you are done with the building part, which is what keeps most new players invested for a time.

Aenra

TLDR 1:

- edgy, complex-ridden juveniles in the bodies of thirty year olds want to grief, gank and make life miserable for people they neither know nor will get to know. For free. Because in real life, i bet you they're left with their complexes and not much else.
- because they inhabit the bodies of thirty year olds, they not ONLY want to grief, gank and make life miserable for others, they ALSO expect to be able to do it all with rules and shit, lol. Rules that allow them to do all that AND complain if others make THEIR life miserable, lol, because that's unfair somehow..

(aka news at eleven, retards be retards)

TLDR 2:

- Funcom has finally smelled the coffee. You'd think otherwise, but there you go, miracles never do cease.
- Sadly (am assuming because of investors/company line-up), smelling the coffee did and will not ever relate to taking the steps deemed preferable by proper, mature(er) gamers. Rather, it will entail one-offs targetting retards (see above) and re-launches of niche-in-a-niche titles (TSW)... while future gems that never came to be will be left to rot.
- Their newfound sense of company maturity has yet to equate itself with a title that can bring them back to where they could have once been; and judging by what's available, nor will it.

(aka news at eleven, what happens when suits make the rules in gaming and one single dev has to post in forums to save the day)

Have i honestly missed anything?

Zednix

Barely Literate
Now that this has been out for a bit, will it be worth getting in the winter sale on the cheap?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm sad to see that instead of making kickass single player RPGs, Funcom makes MMOs time and time again. Does it really worth it to make these, just to see them suffer financially? Or are they still profitable desite the lower player numbers?

Your company has tremendious talent to build worlds, just look at the Secret World which has the best world maybe ever. I feel you are wasting that talent on MMOs.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

I'm sad to see that instead of making kickass single player RPGs, Funcom makes MMOs time and time again. Does it really worth it to make these, just to see them suffer financially? Or are they still profitable desite the lower player numbers?

Your company has tremendious talent to build worlds, just look at the Secret World which has the best world maybe ever. I feel you are wasting that talent on MMOs.
And some of my best gaming moments were wasted on MMOs :D

ortucis

Prophet
Now that this has been out for a bit, will it be worth getting in the winter sale on the cheap?

I haven't played the game since I last posted here, but unless you like pointless PvP where you achieve jack-shit, or like building houses over and over.. only to lose all that in a server wipe cause of some update or game database slowing down, then don't bother.

Oh yeah, if people build large architectures, and they DO, game & its database slows down leading to shit load of visual bugs where trees and rocks stay intact but don't give any resources, only way to fix that is a server wipe.

I saw the updates they have released, change log is still showing "fixed more bugs introduced in the last update" and nothing new. World is dull, gameplay is dull, the only thing some of you will find interesting is the pecker slider, but you can't create a tranny avatar so that's pointless as well.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I think the industry realized that making wow clones is a path to failure. Unfortunately, they don't know what else to make. So the genre is in torpor.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think the industry realized that making wow clones is a path to failure. Unfortunately, they don't know what else to make. So the genre is in torpor.
they know what else to make. the problem is pitching those idea to the capital, because the capital doesn't like long term projects with target groups smaller than WoW. that aiming at WoW's 11 phantastillion players is a recipe for disaster in and on itself is ignored, because investors are not rationally acting agents in an open market.

why anyone still thinks going public is a good idea is beyond me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, the reviews on this are pretty much all identical:
Seems potentially great, but play SP or face rampant cheaters.

Could anyone comment how this would be playable for just 2-3 players? I'm interested in running a server just for my GF me, and maybe one other person.

I used to play Ark with my GF and we loved it, but it was clearly not meant for two people only. The amount of grind was too extreme for just the two of us (and we already set the server to give 50% more of everything to speed it up), and the big monsters way too strong for just two people as well, so we stopped.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The amount of grind was too extreme for just the two of us (and we already set the server to give 50% more of everything to speed it up), and the big monsters way too strong for just two people as well, so we stopped.
When you start your own game in CE you get all server mod tools. You can set rates for damage, crafting etc. and various other rules (like PvP only working in certain hours). You just set mat farming to x5 or stuff like that if you feel progress is too slow.

It's also a reason I stopped playing - waiting for a fixed solo mode, because now you can just open mod console and do whatever you like... Too tempting for me.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
So, the reviews on this are pretty much all identical:
Seems potentially great, but play SP or face rampant cheaters.

Could anyone comment how this would be playable for just 2-3 players? I'm interested in running a server just for my GF me, and maybe one other person.

I used to play Ark with my GF and we loved it, but it was clearly not meant for two people only. The amount of grind was too extreme for just the two of us (and we already set the server to give 50% more of everything to speed it up), and the big monsters way too strong for just two people as well, so we stopped.

apart from building and basic controls being similar conan exiles isnt really comparable to ARK. ARKs gameplay revolves around discovereing all those different creatures, fighting them, taming them, riding them, forming your own army to command out of them, leveling them up, mating them, breeding them, finding armor(saddles) for them.. there s an absolutely huge variety of beasts that not merely look different but have different special attacks, stats, roles etc. flying creatures, diving creatures, rideable creatures, creatures on whose back you can build a house etc. etc.

conan has absolutely nothing comparable: thralls are a totally half-assed (cannot gear them, cannot command them, cannot level them, there s little to no variety among them, etc. etc. ) lacklustre feature devoid of content - it seems to be only ingame for edgnyness purposes just like the dick slider. "hurr durr you dont tame dinos - you tame humans ! " and while technical true ... gameplay-wise thralls dont have even 1/50 the relevance/impact/gameplay-role creatures in ark have.

...same goes for religion: you can build shrines and ultimativly summon an avatar but otherwhise the whole religious stuff feels tacked on and just as devoid of actual content & ideas as thralls do.

so whats left ? ressource gathering and basebuilding. in that regard both games should be around equal: conan does some things better but so does ARK.

and well.... running around the world (which is a lot smaller and less varied than ARKs ) and engaging in really awful combat with really dumb enemies... and we re talking worse than oblivion combat/AI.

....the game might have merits in PVP ( i really cannot comment on that aspects) but as a solo or coop experience i d stay the hell away from it because its really, really shit.

i hope one day i can eat my words because i actually had huge hopes for this =/ ....a game with ARKs gameplay ( preferably minus the bad parts and with some cool new ideas instead) but set in an actual interesting setting like conan (instead of Arks DINOSAURS + LAZERS!) would be very welcome.

so far however they add content at a snails pace: in the time ARKs adds content via patching that some other games would sell as a small expansion pack (new creatures, new mechanics, new items, dungeons etc) .... conan exiles added 50 new emotes and a mini-dungeon =/

not that ARK is perfect ( they should maybe actually slow down with adding new stuff and do quality>quantity .... their new tek dungeon for example is total shit ) but in this case the player ratio roughly 40:1 in favour of ARK is a pretty good indicator how much less content & fun conan has.

its also kinda hilarious that the much bashed (because released during EA - which is indeed a dick move) Scorched Earth DLC on its own has more content than Conan Exiles .... =/

TLDR = conan exiles is utter shit for singleplayer/small coop. maybe has merits in pvp - doubt it though. buy ARK+SE at (often) half the price for 50times the value.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
They went with early access waaay too early. Ultimately it ended as a sort of money grab with next to zero meaningful features. They won't be able to surpass ARK in the nearest feature, that's for sure.

Oh well theres always the sex mods that Loverslab has made for the thing.

4b1Cfwz.png

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey bylam , question I've seen on some FB page...

Any REH publishing experts out fhere? I'm sure there must be. Hoping for a spot of advice please.

REH's work is out of copyright now. So is there anything to prevent me from using his stories?

I had in mind creating and selling a new computer text adventure game based on a Conan story or stories, for old computers, as there's quite a good following for the Retro Computing hobby these days.

A.percentage of any profits would go as a donation to help support an REH-related charity or charities, not that it would be a massive market but every little helps.

I'm in England, by the way.

Any thoughts?

Happen to know the situation with that?

ortucis

Prophet
Well this thread bump made me realize that they released a new "free" biome for the game few days ago.

I found it funny how they keep talking about the lore for the creatures while in-game, you will not encounter anything interesting story-wise. It's a barren wasteland with shit enemies and shit combat. Both PvE and PvP are shit since the AI is retarded and gods are THE most pointlessly overpowered things I've ever seen in a game. The new biome will get boring in less than a week for those who love exploring. And why is there no neutral NPC village to take side-quests in?

Basically, like I said before, they should've perfected at least one biome and made it fun before going into Early Access. Now they have few twats left still playing this since they haven't discovered 7 Days to Die or similar games, yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom