Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No mansplaining, boys.

33WIKd3.jpg

:foreveralone:

Draxylon

Savant
I really don't know what is going on with Grimoire, but I feel very sorry for Cleve. The guy has worked real hard on a great game and it must be terrible that the game won't run (save) as it was supposed to do. I know it's definitely shite to lose saved games, but I wouldn't want to be Cleve right now. Working hard and hating what is happening, knowing it is not going great and then you have to hear from all kinds of people what you already know. Give the guy a break, he knows it already!

If all of this is happening really as he said so he's having a hard time fixing this I totally agree with you. Must be a knightmare and he is taking lots of pressure from people. Honestly, he needs help, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice and "legal" people willing to offer their help (not mine, due to my ignorance :cry:). Hope Cleve learn from his mistakes. Should offer the suffering backers some advantages (he should had let backers beta-test the game... we wouldn't mind wait 6 months more for proper release).

Rick

Erudite
He must be wracking his brain right now, seeing the world turn away from his beloved masterpiece.

I can't imagine the hurt he must be feeling when people call the work of art he has devoted 20 years of his life an early access.

Better that the savegame issues creep up now than later on when people have solved the game halfway through.

You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. This is not that big of a deal.

I kind of agree it's not that big a deal, but assuming there won't be any more save game issues later on is a massive assumption.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He must be wracking his brain right now, seeing the world turn away from his beloved masterpiece.

Not sure a bunch of millenial SJWs downvoting the game on Steam just to kick Cleve in the balls constitutes the "world turning against his masterpiece". For me personally a Steam score is completely irrelevant. I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen games on my account with "mixed" (or worse) score that I have enjoyed. I just don't give a fuck and neither should you. The only criticism that matters is the one I read within the hallowed halls of Codex, from people who know what they're talking about.

Wiz 7 had been my TOP 1 favourite game for over 20 years (until I played Dark Souls 1 last year) and I've been waiting for Grimoire like for a dream come true. From what I've seen so far I'm totally exhilarated, it's basically my beloved Wiz 7 reborn. The bugginess of the game is annoying, sure, but remember Fallout 2 - Grimoire is more stable than a Blizzard game compared to Fallout 2 when it came out. FFS they have fixed the last major bug a few years ago and people still love the game. I'm not concerned about bugs, they'll be squashed, they always are, I'll just wait for the most severe ones (like the savegames) to be sorted out.

A few design things are more concerning, like the creature sounds are unbearable, the UI is a bit messy (tho for us grognards who love Wiz 7 it's not that bad) and the Lands of Lore inventory strip instead of a proper inventory grid like in Wiz 7 is just baffling. I predict these things will never be redone and they'll annoy me to no end when I start playing but the incline will prevail, I'm sure of it.

Rick

Erudite
I must come clean. Yes, I doubted. I was sure it won't come out. But then it happened and it shown me errors of my ways. Grimoire and everyone involved are my heroes of 2017. Shit's buggy for now, but it's magnificent as fuck. I don't even know if I will find time to play it properly (ie. locked in a room with diaper on).

The game is beautiful and has atmosphere. Aside from the save game crap, it's pretty good.

I wouldn't call it "beautiful", but yes, aside from the save game fiasco, other bugs, and the imbalances, it does have great atmosphere. As much as I am not a fan (anymore) of games of this type, I find the combat surprisingly deep and compelling.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Glad Cleve solved the save game bug in 1.2.0.12.

I suspected that it was something pretty simple. All programmers (amateur and professional) get stumped by the most simple and obvious errors.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
As a programmer this mostly sounds like rambling to me.

Save games cannot contain viruses so that entire thing with AV is pure lunacy (or incompetence, you choose)..

you are full of shit and I hope you are not a dev working on any software I use on a daily basis, because your statement on the idea that "save games cannot contain viruses" is incompetence and ignorance on the highest levels. All programs have bugs. Some bugs are exploitable, like buffer overflows. An exploit can lead to code execution which can lead to.. you get it, running a virus on your computer. This is how a virus can propagate from a pdf file, from a word document, from a save game or even a game rom meant to be run in an emulator. Considering how buggy and incompetently done Grimoire is, it probably wouldn't take more than some light fuzzing on save files to find something. Games that don't have a sanitized save loading system were always a popular venue to hack consoles and allow the user to run pirated games, they were one of the main entry points in hacking the xbox, wii and 3ds. The same method that makes people happy to become pirates on their consoles is also a method someone could use to infest your computer.

Ok, yes my blanket statement of "it cannot be done" is not true. I will give you that.

But I think it is highly unlikely for a few reasons:

1. Somebody should actually have bothered to do this. It is not trivial. You need to find the exploit and the use it. Not many people can do this and Grimoire is pretty low profile so I doubt anybody would spend the time. In particular since it is only a week since release. My first game "Total Overdose" wasn't cracked for 3 months simply because crackers didn't give it attention.

2. Cleve claims that the virus "prevents file access from Grimoire". He did not claim that other apps had problems. That means that someone needs to target the builds Cleve is making himself and that is not public yet and prevent IO from those. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

And yes it also requires that there is exploits to be found, but since a save can cause a crash I think it is likely that such exploits are possible.

Draxylon

Savant
Glad Cleve solved the save game bug in 1.2.0.12.

I suspected that it was something pretty simple. All programmers (amateur and professional) get stumped by the most simple and obvious errors.

It would be nice if he explains what happened. People will understand and he will regain some of the credit he lost due to the unfortunate issues in the previous patches.
There's a streamer (RetrogradeTom) that did some nice streams and didn't continue due to the saves not working anymore... and now he's giving him another opportunity.

We all need to believe in CLEVE!

Viata

Arcane
dugalm [has Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar] 4 hours ago Don't bother playing! After the patch of earlier this week which made all seved games useless, I started a new party, better stats and went much further in the game only to discover today that yesterday's saves will not open but the earlier ones could! What is going on!!! I had so much hours in yesterday, characters to level 5 and on my way to the wilds. We can't keep starting up like this!!!!
:lol:

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
dugalm [has Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar] 4 hours ago Don't bother playing! After the patch of earlier this week which made all seved games useless, I started a new party, better stats and went much further in the game only to discover today that yesterday's saves will not open but the earlier ones could! What is going on!!! I had so much hours in yesterday, characters to level 5 and on my way to the wilds. We can't keep starting up like this!!!!
:lol:

Surely this weeds out the sapes. This was Cleve's plan all along.

Viata

Arcane
I'm having a blast so far, I'm on .2 and .5 usually. 0 bugs(I kill my party when fighting ?WORMS? to not crash the game) and things just gets better every time, unlike Steam users.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom