Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Was China really that influencial? It would mean having to deal with them as India and I never heard of that much interaction between the Chinese and the Indians. Mongols/steppe tribes I can see but even then the farthest east of the map is still quite far from China "proper".

Delterius

Arcane
Was China really that influencial? It would mean having to deal with them as India and I never heard of that much interaction between the Chinese and the Indians. Mongols/steppe tribes I can see but even then the farthest east of the map is still quite far from China "proper".
Well, there was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas Its a more interesting idea than the map ending suddenly, or a Romance of the Three Crusader Kings.

In any case, let us rejoice for the thousands of CPUs that will not explode due to another map extension.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Meh, this doesn't do nothing at all for me. The furthest to the east I have ever played were the crusader kingdoms.

I hope they bother to improve the core of the game at least a little bit. Maybe use the opportunity to improve diplomacy and war mechanics.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I wonder how will eventual CK3 look like. Given how many things we have in CK2 now after all the DLCs, it would be weird for them to repeat the same pattern with CK3 vanilla being bare bones and everything else is locked behind a paywall.
But then again, this is Paradox. They will milk it anyway, again and again, and it will sell anyway, again and again. Nomen est omen.

Atomkilla

Arcane
They'll just say CK3 is on an entirely new engine and everything needs to be coded from scratch. Cha-ching.

Sure thing. But I really wonder what they will do with core mechanics. Court interaction, wars, stats and attributes, breeding, religion etc. Some of those things work really weird in CK2.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They lined out their design process in a presentation at PDXCON. It was for EUIV, but I think it's safe to assume that it's similar for all their grand strategy titles.

25% Revised Gameplay
25% Better Graphics
25% Multiplayer Focus
25% Easier to get into

Revised Gameplay equals one or two new headline features, in the case of EUIV it was the new trade system and monarch power. They based EUIV on EUIII with all expansions, but decided to cut features which don't fit.

Some of those things work really weird in CK2.
There you go, a perfect foundation for a new milking machine.
I'd bet 1K parrots it'll be more of that + some major new fuckups under the pretense of "freshening things up" so they can spend another 5 years "fixing" and "improving" €10 a piece. Now with more brown people and no theocracies, all perfectly balanced for MP, just like we always wanted.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
25% Better Graphics
25% Multiplayer Focus
25% Easier to get into

DECLINE
e: Also ironic when you consider that they make their games more casual to begin with and then end up shitting it up with 20+ DLC packs that add new convoluted mechanics, buttons to an already bloated UI and generally things to fuck with newbies.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They will cut more of Medieval mechanics and add more brown faces, trannies and strong womyn. Its version 2.71 and you can play as Joos, Mudslimes, Horse Niggers and Street Shitters but there is no playable Papacy nor knightly orders cause Sweden Yes! I guess. They add more content from early middle ages too but instead they should release Rome and make it playable right to the Age of Crusades when true Fuedal system and power of medieval Cuckolic Church emerged instead in my opinion.

Atomkilla

Arcane
The fact that CK2 is nearing its DLC cycle's end and we still cannot play as theocracy is just sad.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fact that CK2 is nearing its DLC cycle's end and we still cannot play as theocracy is just sad.

Well, it does go against the "family management" aspect of the game and the Pope is the AI that handles all the hidden events in the game. Then again, theocracies are still more relevant than goddamn India.

mbv123

Arbiter
Paradox said:
The Swedish summer vacations are drawing to a close and I’m back and eager to talk some more Crusader Kings! What better way to kick off the end of summer than by revealing the theme of the next expansion? Yes my friends, it’s China! Now, before you get all emotional one way or the other, we’re not actually going to expand the map farther east. We considered doing that, long and hard, but eventually decided on a different approach that would not strain performance and stability beyond reason. As I mentioned in Dev Diary #51, it bothers me that the eastern edge of the map just cuts off in such an unnatural way. Playing in the Orient, you should always feel like you’re in the shadow of the Dragon. It should be an interesting and dynamic region right in the center of the Old World. So, we came up with the idea of adding China as a political entity even though you cannot actually see most of its territory.

rCUhDqe.jpg

There is a new screen you can open up, which, if you’re within range of China, allows you to interact with the Emperor in various interesting ways. China can grant many wonderful boons if you’re in the emperor’s good graces, but, depending on the current status and policy of the Dragon Throne, the emperor can also decide you’d better show some respect and become a tributary state. When there is turmoil in China, displaced or fleeing armies can arrive on the map and cause all kinds of trouble. China can even seize and rule actual provinces, but the emperor leaves the governing of such areas to the Governor of the Western Protectorate (or, to be a stickler, the “Protectorate General to Pacify the West”.) Potentially, this on-map part of China can grow enormously powerful, but you should not have to worry too much as long as you enjoy the emperor’s grace…

That’s going to be all for now. I’m sure you have a million questions, but you’ll have to wait for the upcoming dev diaries. :)

Meanwhile, remember to tune in to our CK2 livestreams between 16 to 18:00 CET!
The mechanics look someone unique and interesting, but still China doesn't really interest me that much while the core game could use some fresh ideas and gameplay.
Paying 15 bucks for a fucking dialogue window, lmao. What a fucking joke.

Barbarian

Arcane
So I finally checked out "Monks & Mystics". First thing I did after playing for a while was to look at the code, since I had an interest in modding societies.

Amazing how lazy the development of this was. Basically all monastic societies use the same exact code and same exact events. No kidding. Same text even, with just choice words being changed depending on the religion and society in question. I.e: The buddhist society has the exact same events as dominican society, even the same perks. Also a lot of what was advertised is not in yet(i.e: in the code for the dominican order there is a big ###TODO: demon hunting bonus").

They actually put more work in the hermetics and demon worshippers than in the monks and hashashins. Also the Hashashin have ridiclous oversights/bugs(i.e: playin after 1092 you have two grandmasters and two separate entities: a hashashin holy order and a hashashin society). Also the biggest and most elaborate monastic order event(which is in every monastic order) is one about two members of the same sex becoming homossexual and starting an affair. SWEDEN YES I guess :lol:

I think it is all a cashgrab at this point. I wouldn't be suprised if the reason why they didn't add China on the map was lazyness, and not being worried about performance.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
So I finally checked out "Monks & Mystics". First thing I did after playing for a while was to look at the code, since I had an interest in modding societies.

Amazing how lazy the development of this was. Basically all monastic societies use the same exact code and same exact events. No kidding. Same text even, with just choice words being changed depending on the religion and society in question. I.e: The buddhist society has the exact same events as dominican society, even the same perks. Also a lot of what was advertised is not in yet(i.e: in the code for the dominican order there is a big ###TODO: demon hunting bonus").

They actually put more work in the hermetics and demon worshippers than in the monks and hashashins. Also the Hashashin have ridiclous oversights/bugs(i.e: playin after 1092 you have two grandmasters and two separate entities: a hashashin holy order and a hashashin society). Also the biggest and most elaborate monastic order event(which is in every monastic order) is one about two members of the same sex becoming homossexual and starting an affair. SWEDEN YES I guess :lol:

I think it is all a cashgrab at this point. I wouldn't be suprised if the reason why they didn't add China on the map was lazyness, and not being worried about performance.

Yes, DLCs like this are pretty gimmicky: first time you play with any given society, it's all new and pretty entertaining. That's when the forums are full of "Holy fuck, look what just happened to my character" threads. Then when you do it again with your great-grandson or something, you realise it's all exactly the same thing, same events, etc. The two different Christian holy orders are exactly the same I believe. Several DLCs do this. Like with the Way of Life focuses, e.g. the Scholarship focus always leads you down one of two paths that are always the same.

Only thing I haven't explored with the societies is the quest chain where you can befriend fellow members. Or at least not the path where the friendship becomes a gay relationship. Swedes gonna Swede. You can see where these events are going from a mile off.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Hermetic society with cure depression / stress is also quite o.p. (so they had to add remove vices to the monks in a patch). But it's really boring - I raided 100 laboratories and crossread a million papers by other sages, while tomb raid(er)ing across the known world for fragments of eden hermetic artifacts.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also they cut the Hellenic faith because they were too lazy to make it normal faith.I even got banned for 8 months for saying that.Only good thing about paradox games is the far superior mods.I just downloaded the latest geheimnisnacht mod.Paradox is such a greedy progressive cumbucket that if it was a human being i would be offended if i have to spit on it.

Last edited:

mbv123

Arbiter
Paradox needs a competition but since the genre is already pretty fucking niche to begin with, it's not going to happen so they can do whatever the fuck they want with their policies and DLC. It's not like people will just stop buying them because there's literally nothing else like it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Paradox needs a competition but since the genre is already pretty fucking niche to begin with, it's not going to happen so they can do whatever the fuck they want with their policies and DLC. It's not like people will just stop buying them because there's literally nothing else like it.
That is why i buy them from Piratebay!Scummy lazy swedes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am curious how many bugs will be introduced in this dlc,or how slugish the game will become!I still rememberer how unplayable the indian DLC was.Oh and i still haven't played with indian.Do people play the indians?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom