Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadows Behind The Throne - That Which Sleeps-inspired game

BobbyTwoHands

Arcane
Developer
Trust me, that shouldn't stop you. It hasn't stop others.

Oh man, that is some unfortunate game art. I'm not even sure if those are meant to be zombies or normals.

As to the budget being low: Yes it is, it's purely for the art. That's the part of the game I can't just throw together in my spare time.

Luka-boy

Arcane
173z4q.jpg

Bro, I have some news for you...

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
Instead of paying 90 bucks and having to get some unknown number of votes from the somewhat fickly Greenlight community, you can now pay 100 bucks and get your AppID from Steam Direct. Best of luck with the project and the Kickstarter. It's a really cool little game already, and I'm sure it'll get better as development progresses. I've backed and look forward to seeing my name-sake get driven mad, impregnated by deep ones and/or enjoying the end of the world as a bloodthirsty tyrant.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is hard to tell. The last KS update said:

An Unsuccess
0 commentaires

So, the funding failed.

The fault is mine, for a variety of reasons. The people I've interacted over the course of this project have been, with no exceptions, great. Supportive, full of advice and constantly optimistic. Couldn't have asked for a better community.

Honestly, the main issue is that I'm bad at marketing, and had some other stuff going on which took up a bunch of my time. I'm disappointed in the result, but I could see this coming even before the Kickstarter began (thanks to statistical models provided to be by said super-helpful community), and so it's not come as a shock.

Moving forwards, I'll probably just continue same as always. Release versions every now and then when I get the chance, continue checking off items from the Phase 2 checklist. When it's done, I'll look take a look at the project and see what the next best step is.

Maybe there'll be a Phase 3, but I've also got some ideas for a sequel-type affair, with far more focus on politics and interpersonal relations, as well as espionage and intelligence gathering. Maybe even make the original game open-source, if that happens, but getting a open source project running successfully seems to require a fair amount of luck. We'll have to see when the time comes.

Anyway, thanks for all the support. Mostly I've been doing this project for fun, and I can't deny that it hasn't been exciting so far.

So he planned to continue working on it, but without contracted art.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not actually abandoned, maybe. This was 5 days ago on itch.io:
So I've released an unfinished build of the new version. Big changes across the board from previous versions, it's actually a new project which just imports large parts of the old one. As a result, each gameplay feature is being checked, in light of lessons learnt from previous versions, to see if it can be improved or streamlined. In theory, the game should be far better for these changes, but for now this means that most of the previous gameplay is absent, pending re-addition.

For now, the game features just one agent. Agents are your world-map enthralled. Unlike noble enthralled, they have no city, and wander the map doing evil on your behalf. The basic gameplay is "Enthralled Agent turns up in nation, does evil deeds, leaves evidence on ground, investigators find evidence, nobles send the army to arrest the agent, agent escapes to neighbouring nation, begins new evil deeds". You're essentially on a timer, as your evidence gets discovered, so you gotta do what you came to do, then run before the cops show up.

The agent available is the plague doctor. Their gameplay is to cause civil wars, exploit existing wars, or to antagonise the tribal nations, to create as many dead as possible. (Use the '2' key to switch to map-view for dead). They then steal these dead, and dump them on corpseroot patches they build. Eventually you'll have enough dead on enough corpseroot patches to suddenly raise them all (Tide of Death ability), to destroy the kingdoms of men. The agent's gameplay is one of preparation and subtle building-up of power, then a sudden switch to an end-of-all-life crusade against the living. I was hoping for a glorious final battle between good and evil, which the whole game builds towards.

The agent has a few powers to help things along, from the ability to eat the dead for power, to sabotaging defences and armies. Locations also can have their own powers. For now, those are just tribal gathering places and cities, but in the future far more locations will have far more powers, which any agent could exploit.

Anyway, I'm releasing this version in case anyone wants to try it and give feedback. For now it's not a full game, but there's enough to check over and see if I'm doing anything obviously wrong, or if there's anything obviously good which should be focused on. Give it a try, tell me what you think.

I'll post a bit more in a bit, about the full future of the game, when I've sorted out some stuff.

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne/devlog/11113/an-unfinished-version

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I'm really beginning to think a greater power just keeps driving these men to madness. That's what happened to Lovecraft's mother. The first Lovecraftian 4X developer, very ahead of her time.

OK so someone is continuing the 'That Which Sleeps saga' except they're actually making a thing. I've played it and there's a demo.

It's not TWS yet, but it's well on the way and the underlying systems work very well to allow similar gameplay loops.

Here's the announcement, from the developer that brought you Shadows Behind the Throne 1 and 2 - Bobbytwohands is now creating the closest thing to TWS I can imagine - Shadows of Forbidden Gods -

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne-2/devlog/277367/a-new-beginning

SerratedBiz

Arcane
People are so invested into trolling about this game's existence that someone actually came through and put together a game just to make you believe it exists.

Ninjerk

Arcane
People are so invested into trolling about this game's existence that someone actually came through and put together a game just to make you believe it exists.
You know what they say--never look a good scam in the mouth. Or something.

Lol, while you degenerates were roleplaying playing TWS, someone decided to make the thing.

I think this Dev will follow through, he's released games before and, after speaking with him directly, it's clear his approach is far more sensible. Still, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, and all that.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What bugs me and what bought some fools into investing into TWS scam is the art - it was good. Compare it with Shadows of Forbidden Gods mediocricy:
RuuhNL.png

xIuUXj.png

And this:
Yrxr9mj.jpeg

See? They invested into their scam, so said art attracted many more people into their scheme. And decent art appeal to people much more than hald-assed primitivism on nuMaster of Magic levels of flash-player mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom