Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I just got my backer keys for Steam!

I'm installing Steam for the very first time for this momentous occasion.

Got mine too at 2am euro time. Second campaign, last name starts with Z. Hopefully all backers have their keys now.

jfunk

Augur
What was the thing Cleve changed from .5 to .7 btw? .5 is working pretty well, although it crashes during fights against ?WORMS? from Dune.

The problem with 1205 is you cannot start new games. When you do, there are no SET encounters.

Regarding the Sun, Moon, and Stars puzzle, no there is no sound. That's what I'm talking about when I say you won't get feedback. This isn't unusual for these games. I haven't seen it yet in Grimoire, but for example sometimes in the oldies a lever would toggle something (open one door and close another) and you had to visit multiple times to get to different areas to complete the puzzle. There's not going to be some "ding!" or flashing lights telling you that you put it "in the right place", you just have to go find out.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Rerolling on 1.2.0.5 or 1.2.0.7?

Either would imply trusting the next update would be able to load them, and to assume nothing would be broken in them in the long run. So it's better to just wait and see.
I dont know if I should laugh or cry.
Just shitpost. It's what I do.

:stunned:

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What was the thing Cleve changed from .5 to .7 btw? .5 is working pretty well, although it crashes during fights against ?WORMS? from Dune.

The problem with 1205 is you cannot start new games. When you do, there are no SET encounters.

Regarding the Sun, Moon, and Stars puzzle, no there is no sound. That's what I'm talking about when I say you won't get feedback. This isn't unusual for these games. I haven't seen it yet in Grimoire, but for example sometimes in the oldies a lever would toggle something (open one door and close another) and you had to visit multiple times to get to different areas to complete the puzzle. There's not going to be some "ding!" or flashing lights telling you that you put it "in the right place", you just have to go find out.

Turns out I did get the potion. Secret door just outside the crypt leads to a lever which opens a gate where the potion is. I wonder what the dials did, make the lever work? Make the secret door detectable? Anyways the potion it hit the mummy for 48. It was already down to 20 HP when I was forced to use it as half the party was almost asleep from VIT depletion.

Biggus

Scholar
I think I am done, again. :( It isn't a matter of when he will fix it, it is a question of can he, and given what has happened since release, I think the answer is obvious. I think now in hindsight, that the reason this took the time it did to release, was not because he was polishing and fixing micro-issues and trolling, it is because the game literally didn't work, and sub-consciously at least, he knew it. It still doesn't, and he isn't capable of fixing it, I think that is clear. I wish he'd prove me wrong. Crow I can do. Even if it didn't have the bugs, it is so broken in a balance sense that it is almost pointless. Mind numbingly OP weapons and NPCs and spells that trivalise the effort of party building. Ridiculous amounts of gold to be had, when you worked so hard to manually accumulate the first 500 or so. The balance issues would be fixed in all other games by listening to feedback, but Cleve doesn't listen. He didn't then, and it is clear he doesn't now, or maybe he is listening, but just doesn't have the coding skill to implement them. Who knows? One thing that will come out of this though, can't see him ever again boast about his sublime coding skills. :oops:

With this many problems in the very early part of the game (ie. the oldest and what I guess should be the most thoroughly balanced and tested?) I can't even begin to think about what will happen as we wade in deeper. Loss aversion will kick in, people will be ranting, oh wait, that's happening now. I think the guys who said that this is the greatest game of all times were right, it is, but for all the wrong reasons.

I am beginnning to remember why I stopped being a beta tester in the 90s. Magic game, magic ideas, great fun, it is STILL calling me FFS... but I know when I'm licked (all over). Thanks for the ride (again) Cleve. I wish you well. :salute:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread still keeps on giving. :lol:
Cleve, never change.
2-update10_2.png

Oh and Wiz VI is fun. A little random though, lots of reloads because every second fight ends in someone dying.
Too many RNGs working together to screw me but so far I manage.
The UI is horrible though, keyboard mode is close to being the clunkiest POS I ever encountered (Dwarf Fortress is worse of course) and mouse isn't much better.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Biggus You are being a little dramatic. Grab a copy of 1.01 and use that, it has been quite stable for me. I haven't even had one crash.

You need to take a step back and realize that this is beginning days. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the game. Roll characters, check out different starting locations, etc.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes, it's not a matter of how the game state is, you are going to have to experiment and experiment a LOT to find the right teams that you like to play. Just like the Wizardry series (Everyone has their favorite teams).

Biggus

Scholar
Biggus You are being a little dramatic. Grab a copy of 1.01 and use that, it has been quite stable for me. I haven't even had one crash.

You need to take a step back and realize that this is beginning days. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the game. Roll characters, check out different starting locations, etc.

Beginning days, mate, they were literally in the last century! This is the polished version remember? I can enjoy the ride without ever playing the game, that is the true magic of the Grimoire experience.

Yeah, maybe. I have weakened already. Pretty shallow eh?

What sort of devilry is inside a game that you don't want to NOT play?
It isn't so much the stability, I can live with crashes. Not so much the breaking of saves, I can back stuff up, it isn't CMB's 'ways', it is the very broken balance that ultimately gets me. Oh, and the shit interface. lol That ain't ever going to change.

Ok, talked me into it. 1.2.0.1 seemed ok. What's the word on the street re the 'best' version?

PS. Not sure whether I should thank you or stalk you :P

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron

Beginning days, mate, they were literally in the last century! This is the polished version remember? I can enjoy the ride without ever playing the game, that is the true magic of the Grimoire experience.

Yeah, maybe. I have weakend already. Pretty shallow eh?

What sort of devilry is inside a game that you don't want to NOT play?
It isn't so much the stability, I can live with crashes. Not so much the breaking of saves, I can back stuff up, it isn't CMB's 'ways', it is the very broken balance that ultimately gets me. Oh, and the shit interface. lol That ain't ever going to change.

Ok, talked me into it. 1.2.0.1 seemed ok. What's the word on the street re the 'best' version?

PS. Not sure whether I should thank you or stalk you :P

From what I hear, 1.2.0.1 or 1.2.0.5 are best. I haven't tried 1.2.0.5 myself yet.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Stress levels rising in the bunker. All the available crackerjack programming skills needed!

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [ontwikkelaar] 1 uur geleden
It's a nightmare. Give me some time, I am trying to figure out why my app cannot create a user data folder once it's on Steam. I know it sounds hilarious but it works fine on my machine.

Tigranes

Arcane
Seems like manual and quick saving both don't register properly even after you create the folder. Saving in a new slot may work, but maybe not 100%?

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Some people had crashes when picking up keys in 1.2.0.1. I've never crashed picking up a key. I'm thinking maybe it was a screen resolution issue? I run full screen, scaled to fit.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Powertorment has been conspicuously absent lately.

Are the big name publishers trying to stop the incline through sabotage and subterfuge?

Coincidence or conspiracy? You decide.

Thank you for thinking about me. :)

Sorry, no big conspiracies today. Oh, and IO is now independent - so not a big publisher anymore. And yes we still share mail servers - until that gets
sorted out.

I have been away for a week on a resort in Sicily in Italy. I was being sun burnt and drinking beer at the pool. Came home yesterday evening. I hate typing
on my tablet so I just read the thread but did not participate. I know, the timing was bad.

I really didn't think the game would be released. I have considered it a lost cause. My girlfriend can testify that I went around being mind-blown a full day of our vacation
rambling about how the cracker jack finally did it.

I am super excited about the game. I was on the second campaign so I didn't get my Steam Key yet. I hope I get it today.

But what is even better, even though the game is out, this saga/thread just keeps on giving. The lulz is not over yet. I had feared it would die out after release. But
Cleve's game breaking patching, invalidation of old save games and commenting on streamers is just hilarious.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
But what is even better, even though the game is out, this saga/thread just keeps on giving. The lulz is not over yet. I had feared it would die out after release. But
Cleve's game breaking patching, invalidation of old save games and commenting on streamers is just hilarious.

Always bet on the Thal!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom