Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That sort of reminds me of the bug in Ultima V (which still exists today). If you sleep in Lord British's room over night, if you don't have a magic lockpick (or a cannon) you will be trapped in his room forever (because his door can only be magically lockpicked or blown up with a cannon). Even if you blew up the door, it will MAGICALLY RE-APPPEAR AND BE LOCKED AGAIN in the morning. You can't do anything at all but re-start the game over from scratch.

That actually happened to me once, and I had to completely re-start the game from scratch.

Good times.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That sort of reminds me of the bug in Ultima V (which still exists today). If you sleep in Lord British's room over night, if you don't have a magic lockpick (or a cannon) you will be trapped in his room forever (because his door can only be magically lockpicked or blown up with a cannon). Even if you blew up the door, it will MAGICALLY RE-APPPEAR AND BE LOCKED AGAIN in the morning. You can't do anything at all but re-start the game over from scratch.

That actually happened to me once, and I had to completely re-start the game from scratch.

Good times.

I had almost forgotten about this.

:argh:

Lazarus

Novice
Sedition
iconGames.png
8 minutes ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

It appears that all locked doors and chests have "Re-locked" themselves since this patch. I found a chest i had looted before the patch...picked the lock again, and looted it again, which i thought was nice....until i tried to leave the area, which i picked the lock of a door to get in...now the door is locked from the other side, and i cannot pick it from inside the house......the door is shut and will not open, and when i click "pick lock" it says there's nothing to pick...all my saves are from inside this house, now im screwed...please fix this.

-I was torn between sad and funny until I read this. Now I'm pretty certain its funny.
Gotta be a cheat that Cleve can put up to relocate your party anywhere in Hyperborea.

Darkforge

Augur
For fucks sake. So after lamenting yesterday about this save game crap, and vowing not to play until it's sorted. Of course I couldn't resist, rerolled my party (because library was deleted) and started a new game, where I was much happier with progress than my original party, only too find he's broken those saves now too, and my original ones I no longer care about are playable.

Nice one Cleve...

Ok now I have really learnt my lesson. I'm dropping this game for a while. I don't really have any confidence that this is not going to be an ongoing issue every patch, and at this stage it's clear the older versions have serious balance issues.

Obviously needed about another 10 years in the oven...

mondblut

Arcane
you can resurrect mistral? Oo
that would be kind of unexpectedly epic.

You are supposed to be able to (and not him alone, many remains across the game), it was long lauded as a feature. I didn't, since I always sold the caduceus wands, and my only raise dead scroll was from the Shrine, bugged (0 charges, as seen when placed into scroll tube).

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
For fucks sake. So after lamenting yesterday about this save game crap, and vowing not to play until it's sorted. Of course I couldn't resist, rerolled my party (because library was deleted) and started a new game, where I was much happier with progress than my original party, only too find he's broken those saves now too, and my original ones I no longer care about are playable.....

Nice one Cleve...

Ok now I have really learnt my lesson. I'm dropping this game for a while. I don't really have any confidence that this is not going to be an ongoing issue every patch, and at this stage it's clear the older versions have serious balance issues.

Hes probably stressing alot harder than we are.

I agree though, probably best to let a patch or two go by where the saves have no issues before jumping in again.

Games just so good its addicting and my dumb ass will probably start over tomorrow anyhow and lose that save as well in another few days- I'm trying to be strong here but my saving throws for 'common sense' often fail miserably. =P

Winslow

Novice
Patron
It actually saves to a file called 'NO, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS FILE' which you can still rename to a 001.SVG or whatever and load up.

PEACH

Arbiter
Hahahaha, is worse than that. Saving on a previously saved game doesn't work.

That's strange. I just patched and loaded an older save I had no intent of using just to see if the patch worked. Saved over it afterwards to see if saving would break the save and I overwrote it with no issues.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

That's strange. I just patched and loaded an older save I had no intent of using just to see if the patch worked. Saved over it afterwards to see if saving would break the save and I overwrote it with no issues.
When I try to quicksave or save on an existing file, a backup of the file named "NO, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS FILE" is created in the AppData directory, but nothing gets saved.

Repressed Homosexual
Ok, I easily fixed my problem with this:

go to appdata/local/GRIMOIRE
it wont create the GRIMOIRE folder on its own you have to make it

Now all my saves work again, everything is fine.

Kudos to Cleve for being so proactive toward fixing bugs and listening to suggestions.

I'm really starting to think this is the best RPG ever.

Ok, I have the same issue as Toxic Faggotry above. So close to playing this amazing masterpiece again.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
For fucks sake. So after lamenting yesterday about this save game crap, and vowing not to play until it's sorted. Of course I couldn't resist, rerolled my party (because library was deleted) and started a new game, where I was much happier with progress than my original party, only too find he's broken those saves now too, and my original ones I no longer care about are playable.....

Nice one Cleve...

Hes probably stressing alot harder than we are.

I agree though, probably best to let a patch or two go by where the saves have no issues before jumping in again.

Games just so good its addicting and my dumb ass will probably start over tomorrow anyhow and lose that save as well in another few days- I'm trying to be strong here but my saving throws for 'common sense' often fail miserably. =P

Probably a good thing. Can check out the various starting areas.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All right I completed the first dungeon of the superdemo with the quickstart party (minus one, plus Rosy).

It was all right I suppose, but what you're supposed to do is far too vague for me. Like I did the sun moon star dial thing backwards and forwards, but nothing happened. I ended up killing that mummy almost purely with Lil Rosy. I'm still unclear just how exactly you're supposed to open locks (for me it was a reload-fest guessing game until I got the right ones, I suppose higher lockpicking skill would make it less of a guessing game but it would be nice if there was at least one chest of my level to demonstrate that).

Additionally, that you can't load a save without exiting to the main menu is infuriating, as is the inability to close one of the in-game menus with anything other than the mouse (short of pressing tab a bunch of times until it highlights the exit button). The amount of things you can carry is incredibly strict given the massive amount of items there are to pick up (and leaving multiple objects on the ground will result in a total pain if there's something you want to trade). Jasede is right about how this UI is a mess even by early 90s standards.

Basically I warmed up to it and then I cooled off. Perhaps one day someone will release a modern blobber with role playing (M&MX and Bard's Tale 4 certainly aren't it), but until that day ever happens, Cleve has this market cornered. Guess he's the new Vogel (though to Vogel's credit, I don't believe he's ever had a post-release fiasco as huge as Grimoire's).

jfunk

Augur
Like I did the sun moon star dial thing backwards and forwards, but nothing happened.

The dials open a secret door right next to the guardian which contains a powerful potion you can use against him (you'd likely not have been able to beat him without it if you didn't have Rosey). But in general, if that's too obscure for you you're not likely to enjoy most of this game. There's going to be a lot more like that. Most old school dungeon crawls have levers and buttons that cause things to happen elsewhere in the dungeon, you're not going to get instant feedback.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Like I did the sun moon star dial thing backwards and forwards, but nothing happened.

The dials open a secret door right next to the guardian which contains a powerful potion you can use against him (you'd likely not have been able to beat him without it if you didn't have Rosey). But in general, if that's too obscure for you you're not likely to enjoy most of this game. There's going to be a lot more like that. Most old school dungeon crawls have levers and buttons that cause things to happen elsewhere in the dungeon, you're not going to get instant feedback.

Is there a sound that plays? I have set Sun, Moon, Stars left to right and right to left but didn't hear a sound

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The funny thing here is that I used the "cast find object scroll, print screen, reload save to keep find object scroll" trick on all the maps and saw the location of that potion, but it never clicked that that is what it was.

Is there a sound that plays? I have set Sun, Moon, Stars left to right and right to left but didn't hear a sound
Nope.

Edit: I created the User folder and now the game runs again, but the Library from the main menu is broken. If I click it, screen goes black for a moment then I get the main menu again. Thoughts?

Dominae

Educated

When I try to quicksave or save on an existing file, a backup of the file named "NO, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS FILE" is created in the AppData directory, but nothing gets saved.

Same issue here. I can only save over a brand new save slot with nothing in it. Any attempt to save elsewhere fails to overwrite.

Edit: On the plus side, it keeps you from Save Scumming .. since you have at most 11 saves before you have to quit out, delete all the extra saves, and start up the game again? :hmmm:

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
What was the thing Cleve changed from .5 to .7 btw? .5 is working pretty well, although it crashes during fights against ?WORMS? from Dune.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom