Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout: Nevada mod for Fallout 2 gets a preliminary English release

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fallout 2; Fallout: Nevada

Fallout: Nevada (also known as "Fallout of Nevada") is another one of those Fallout 2 standalone campaign mods from Eastern Europe that have come out over the years. Chronologically, it's a prequel to both of the original Fallout games, taking place in the early days of Vault City. It was developed by a Russian team and was originally released in 2011, with the final version coming out in 2015. Unlike the Czech team behind Fallout 1.5: Resurrection, they decided not to go on and develop an English version, so last year a group of fans on the NMA forums led by one Dionis decided to produce an English translation themselves. This week, they released their first preliminary translation of Fallout: Nevada. The translation effort doesn't have its own website or promotional materials, so here's the trailer and description from the mod's original website:

Fallout: Nevada - fanatical attempt to create a prequel to the game Fallout. The project is not a renamed clone of the original, it is not an assembly of other people's ideas or mods, it is not an addition to the original story. This is a full conversion, which borrows some of the typical content and the engine of the original, the rest of the content (scripts, plot, dialogs, characters, locations, etc.) is created from scratch specifically for the project.

Main innovations:
  • A completely new story
  • More than 100 quests
  • A new world map (12 major points on the world map and 12 new special meetings)
  • 2.7 MB of game text
  • New soundtracks
Features:
  • The plot reveals the prehistory of Vault City, known for the game Fallout 2.
  • The central importance is given not to combat, but to quests, stories and the universe of Fallout.
  • High degree of authenticity of locations.
  • A small amount of black and humor

The mod is fully translated to English, but most of the writing is still in a rough state and requires editing, and it probably wasn't that great in the first place. However, I'm told that in terms of pure design, Fallout: Nevada is top-notch, putting even Fallout 1.5 (last year's Codex GOTY) to shame. If you'd like to give it a try, you can grab both the original mod and the latest version of the translation here.

Klarion

Arcane
I love to see that 20 years old RPG is still getting new mods that are basically new, top-quality RPGs all set in the same universe as the original... And all that made by fans - for fans. Fallout 1&2 have truly stood the test of time.

Perkel

Arcane
i'll wait for touched up translation. I am yet to play 1.5 so i will probably do marathon.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i'll wait for touched up translation. I am yet to play 1.5 so i will probably do marathon.

WARNING: you need to play 1.5 first because it's so much worse than even the unfinished translation of Nevada. I played the last, much choppier version of Nevada first and since then I just haven't been able to get into 1.5. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it immensely otherwise, but it suffers terribly in comparison. At times Nevada approaches Black Isle quality.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Stoked about this, and definitely gonna give it a spin.

Lhynn should come into this thread, since he's a massive fanboy of FO 1.5 and kept raving about it.

If this is better, that bodes well. Even with the questionable translation notwithstanding.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I hope this is better.
Despite the obvious technical capabilities of the people behind 1.5, the writing, pace and really everything related to playing the game felt amateurish at best.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Couldn't get it to work, but the installers are numerous and in russian. Hoping there will be a single, english, easy installer once the translation is complete.

valcik

Arcane
Latest package from NMA download section goes with readme plus two bmp pictures explaining how to properly use the cyrilic infested installers. Runs fine for me, with in-game texts translated properly, only a couple of user interface pieces remained in Russian. (totally hooked after couple of hours in, great mod!)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope this is better.
Despite the obvious technical capabilities of the people behind 1.5, the writing, pace and really everything related to playing the game felt amateurish at best.

Writing in FN is as edgy* as in 1.5... What is much better is pacing, quests design, story so far and of course tons of cool new assets, weapons and crafting which is actually fun.

*Lacking so much profanity and with no oversexualized stuff fortunately yes there is booze, drugs and whores but all done in tasteful way and show RL consequences of such vices; This game I can let my primogeniture to play with. :incline:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Aww, crap. I guess that means I need to do an english version of my Nevada guide, but I've totally forgot how it all goes there. I guess I'll have to watch myself, lol, but it's a challenge 'cause I really can't stand the sound of my own voice.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I really need to re-play Fallout. Only played it once but it is the only game in my entire experience of playing computer or video games that I wanted to re-play immediately after finishing it that first time. I never got the chance to do that. Fallout 2 was very disappointing compared to FO1. I got Fallout 1 for free when GOG was giving it away a few years ago. I should play it, and maybe these new modules for it. The first (and only time) I played it about 20 years ago, I never got to see a certain major character that was voice acted by David Warner because I took a belligerent path that basically destroyed his city stronghold before I could even meet him. One thing I really hated about Fallout though was that it would constantly crash on me, perhaps more than any game I ever played, but the gameplay & world-building was so compelling I still played it until the end.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ok, so I can see marathon of Nevada, FO1 Fixt, Resurrection, FO2 Restoration Pack and NV with mods in my future. Jesus christ that will take some time.

I thought new vegas was already set in nevada

weird

#Actually, the eastern part of Fallout 2's map is geographically in Nevada, while the southwest part of FO:NV's map crosses into California: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1DuilfvNcMvhMosMjyZBL6Vgvjp4&hl=en_US&ll=48.72539703897988,-109.0509796&z=4

All my life has been a lie...
Edit: Wait! The Glow is misplaced on the map! This map is a lie!
Edit2: Wasn't Necropolis located in the Backersfield not Barstow? This map is a lie!
Edit3: Junktown should have been on the East from where it is. This map lies as much as Trump now.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edit2: Wasn't Necropolis located in the Backersfield not Barstow? This map is a lie!
Edit3: Junktown should have been on the East from where it is. This map lies as much as Trump now.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Necropolis

• In Fallout, according to the Vault-Tec Vault locations holodisk, Vault 12 was located in Bakersfield. However, while Necropolis lies to the north-east of Los Angeles, the actual city of Bakersfield is not far to the south-west of the Lost Hills bunker. The location of Necropolis roughly matches the town of Barstow. It is probable that while Necropolis was initially placed where Bakersfield is, the locations were moved by the developers at a later date to spread them out better along the map and game files were not updated to reflect this fact.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Necropolis

• In Fallout, according to the Vault-Tec Vault locations holodisk, Vault 12 was located in Bakersfield. However, while Necropolis lies to the north-east of Los Angeles, the actual city of Bakersfield is not far to the south-west of the Lost Hills bunker. The location of Necropolis roughly matches the town of Barstow. It is probable that while Necropolis was initially placed where Bakersfield is, the locations were moved by the developers at a later date to spread them out better along the map and game files were not updated to reflect this fact.

But doesn't it says somewhere in the game that Necropolis is in the Bakersfield? I would value higher what the game is saying than where it shows the location on the map.
The map is still terrible, through.

valcik

Arcane
But doesn't it says somewhere in the game that Necropolis is in the Bakersfield?
Yes - the vault location holodisk mentioned in post you're quoting. :)

Nevertheless, Necropolis was inspired by city of Barstow according to one of the designers, Brian Freyermuth:
http://www.archive.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=48932
What specifically inspired Fallout for you? What were the biggest influences?

The game Wasteland was my number one inspiration. I loved the feel of that game. The raiders came directly from Mad Max, while the locations themselves came from good old Southern California. A lot of times we would look at a map and say, �I want Barstow in the game. Oh, let�s make it Necropolis!�

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can anybody PLEASE post the real and best installation guide?

I can't into this russian installer shit, why didnt they make a english installer... how much of that am I supposed to click on ?

Please somebody do a full installation guide.. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom