Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale on Linux Under Wine?

Is OP Retarded

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I'm having some minor problems with Icewind Dale under WINE. It runs fine, up until I go to save or do an area switch. It then freezes and the only "fix" I've found is to alt tab out, right click on the Icewind Dale - Heart of Winter icon on my taskbar, click close and then no on the dialog box that asks if you'd like to close Icewind Dale. It then loads it back up and runs fine until I do it again. To make the matter more confusing, it's inconsistent. Sometimes, it does it, but the next time I load up the game, it doesn't do it. Anyone else encounter this issue and/or have a fix for it?
Crispy
Crospy

Wayward Son

Oddly on the like twentieth try to quick save this session, it worked fine, this is what I meant by inconsistent. Sometimes it'll work for an entire session though, which I find even odder.

Wayward Son

Windows users play, Linux users gay. :fuuyeah:
The only reason I use Linux is how shit Windows is on internet(same PC, same browser (tho Linux has MORE addons), only change is OS) and how much shot I have to do with browsers. And also games run better on Linux, barring strange issues like this.

Crospy

Learned

I have no taste for the IWD series so I don't personally know about any potential game specific issue here.
With that said, here's some tips :

1/ Consult WineHQ for bug reports.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5279&iTestingId=78007

There is savegame crash bug occurring when using opengl, but if you set it off then it's ok.

There's also this one :
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5279&iTestingId=84143

What does not (work)
quick save/auto save if 3d acceleration is turned on, thus no eye-candy spell effects and smooth fog of war. I could live without it, though.

This looks similar to your problem. Maybe it will solve it.

2/ When asking for help with wine/linux, one should detail which version of wine, is it the staging build or not, are you using a clean wineprefix specifically made for that game, which winetricks hacks if any are you using, what does the console show in the terminal when you run wine on the program and if there's anything of note in there before / during the freeze and so on, what GPU and are you using the open source or closed source drivers. And of course, in case of modded games, the classic 'did you try without the mods'.

With that said, since it's a decently popular game, I'd wager your problem has to do with one of the two reported problems and the fix probably lays in doing what they say.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't actually own IWD1.

Does the problem occur if you can disable autosave? Some (BG2 and IWD2 for sure) infinity engine era games of the time have a stupid bug i workaround with a script hack (i do a script for every game i play in wine in order to have a wineprefix apart since that is safer anyway). The below *probably* doesn't apply if you're using the nuReleases.

Bug is mentioned here:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13560

My BG2 workaround works like this, i adapted it (without having the game, not sure it will work out of the box). Notice that this is setup for the script to be on the parent dir of the game (game dir named IWD1). I don't know the name of the executable, change it if it's wrong.
It also has a hack to make the game portable so you can just unzip it wherever (you probably need to delete this or change it a bit to work on IWD1 - i already changed the ini name to the 'right' one)

The games had a fullscreen bug with movies, but i think this was fixed on wine so i deleted the workaround with virtual desktop.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
PREFIXES="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes"
mkdir -p "$PREFIXES"
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX="$PREFIXES/IWD1"

GAME_PATH=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")
cd "$GAME_PATH/IWD"
wine_path=$(winepath -w .)

#bug on baldur's gate with saves in wine
rm -f ./temp/default.tot
ln -s ./temp/default.tot ./temp/default.tot

#For the game to read the data files anywhere
#fuck this sed escaping shit, in windows / behaves as \
path=$(echo "$wine_path" | tr '\\\\' '\/')
sed -i "s|HD0:=.*|HD0:=${path}\r|g" icewind.ini
sed -i "s|CD1:=.*|CD1:=${path}/CD\r|g" icewind.ini
sed -i "s|CD2:=.*|CD2:=${path}/CD\r|g" icewind.ini
sed -i "s|CD3:=.*|CD3:=${path}/CD\r|g" icewind.ini

wine icewind.exe

by the way the same dir (that 'CD') on the ini file means i just combined all the files into a single dir. I could do this on BG2 because the same named files were the same (i checked with md5) but not sure it's true in IWD1. It may be safer to have different dirs for different cds. It's also possible 'CD1' may be on the same dir as 'HD0' by default (after install - i think this depends on the size of the install you chose). If so replacing
sed -i "s|CD1:=.*|CD1:=${path}/CD\r|g" icewind.ini
by
sed -i "s|CD1:=.*|CD1:=${path}\r|g" icewind.ini should work.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I also forgot; not sure if this game needs it, but changing the ini file paths is not enough to make the infinity engine a 'no-cd', you also need the 'infinitycracker.exe' to disable the cd check on these games executables. It's around on the net on gamecopyworld.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If I am recalling correctly, the latest official patches for these games, remove the CD check.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have the CD's SCO. Doesn't that make a difference in needing a no-cd?
Well, that last part is only if you want your game to be 'portable' and not need to put in cds. I do it because i'm not a fan of needing cds and i archived the games to only need to do this once and never install them again, but it's not actually needed to play if you don't care.

The main thing you need for your OP problem is that default.tot bug workaround. Or you could pirate and use the nuBlackdog releases, that probably fixed this (if not i'd be very surprised, since the savegame code changed). Also they don't need this 'no-cd' rigmarole. Fucking game devs.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
I stopped playing original IWD a while ago. Just get the EE.
Launch the game from a terminal and see if Wine spits out errors or something.

Wayward Son

Weirdly enough, it seems to stop after a half an hour or so of playing. Any ideas?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom