Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Weasel
Come on Cleve, settle that dust. Still got that interview to do
cat.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By my count six recent negative reviews mention broken saves as a factor in their negative assessment, and they're all from people who have over 2 hours of playtime (the most had 25, the average is around 12 or so).

Weasel
By my count six recent negative reviews mention broken saves as a factor in their negative assessment, and they're all from people who have over 2 hours of playtime (the most had 25, the average is around 12 or so).

Yep, Cleve really needs to be careful with this stuff from now on. And a number of people have said they put up with restarting now as they're just getting into it, but would be extremely butthurt if it happens again after 100s of hours.

As I (and many others) said earlier, he's got the option of a beta branch and volunteer testers now, let's hope he makes use of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yep, Cleve really needs to be careful with this stuff from now on. And a number of people have said they put up with restarting now as they're just getting into it, but would be extremely butthurt if it happens again after 100s of hours.

As I (and many others) said earlier, he's got the option of a beta branch and volunteer testers now, let's hope he makes use of it.

I'm concerned he's still going to ignore this because when he was made aware of this issue, his first step was to change the Steam settings so it automatically upgrades Grimoire to the broken save-patch, thus making it affect everyone rather than those who go through the trouble of reading updates and redownloading. All the work on Grimoire and the lack of sleep is affecting his judgment, making him make all these weird bad decisions.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Flawless save game compatibility is crucial. It may be quite a fun challenge to change the current loader to something more robust and capable of lasting the rest of the lifespan of Grimoire and all the future patches (if you are a developer, you would agree).

Im sure Cleve realizes the critical importance and is on the case. He may even be able to make it backwards compatible for the current savegame versions, from 1.0 on. That would be ideal.

In this case he actually should strongly resist rushing while working till 4AM, getting it exactly right is more important than making it available asap.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
There are some interface improvements to make.

Here's an inventory idea...

Keep the rows as they are, but add the ability to toggle 4-5 row view. You get an elegant improvement that makes the first row a quick access bar and the other rows manageable.

In expanded view, allow filtering and sorting by type.

That would be an huge improvement (ANYTHING would be an improvement FFS)

How about leaving the thing as it is, but losing the arrows and turning it from an inventory into a quick launch, then adding a whole new screen that is the global inventory? This extra screen would allow normal inventory functions, like sort, join, filter, and so on. Why not make this new screen a tabbed interface, so that the rest of the cramped unreadable stuff could be moved there.

Thing is, by the time you make the changes to the interface, virutally notthing remains of the old one and therein lies the problem. You have to admit there's a problem before you can solve it, and you have to have the skills to implement the fixes.

You could add configurable hotkeys, radical idea eh? :P

So many ideas, none are likely to be acknowledged. :(

Ideally a revamp would be best. I propose what I have because I believe it would require less work.

Mech

Cipher

I'm concerned he's still going to ignore this because when he was made aware of this issue, his first step was to change the Steam settings so it automatically upgrades Grimoire to the broken save-patch, thus making it affect everyone rather than those who go through the trouble of reading updates and redownloading. All the work on Grimoire and the lack of sleep is affecting his judgment, making him make all these weird bad decisions.
Ya, I don't think a lack of sleep is what makes Cleve make bad decisions.

Sherry

Arcane
oh and do not worry if you have a fully party if the npc will join you you will get the option to pick which party member to get rid of but it is not permanent because you can find their bones in the Shrine of the Raptor and if you have a scroll or wand of raise dead you can bring them back to life. their bones will be in an alcove and there are 8 alcoves for all 8 party members pretty cool right?
Wait, are you saying that if I kick somebody out of my party that it kills them and I won't be able to get them back unless I resurrect their bones? That is most bogus!

Hi.

mhm that is what happened to me because I had made a thief character for the party and then used two last slots from the premade ready party characters so when I met the cutest little rosy and asked her to join tiny sherry's party I had to kick someone out so I picked the thief character I had made. but you get to keep the equipment of that kicked out character and then when I was exploring and getting further in the game I found the Shrine of the Raptor and there in one of the alcoves was the bones of my thief!

Thanks,
Sherry

Is there any way while shopping to see if a party member can use an item before purchasing? I bought a Lance for my Templar, and was told I couldn't use it.

It would be nice if you could click above or below the scrollbars in the spell screen to move one page up, or one page down.

That's all my thoughts for now.

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit...less RNG.

Agent of decline detected.

Butthurt detected. Are you suggesting that having imbalanced and buggy games is part of the age of incline? Or just that Grimoire is without flaws?

No, I'm implying that "you swing, you hit" is decline. I felt that was obvious, but apparently you find the very possibility of missing to be some kind of imbalance. This isn't some competitive RTS where clicks per minute determine victory because every action has a static result. Go swing a stick at a hostile target 100 times a tell me how infrequently factors beyond your control impact your success.

I would rather they do it by damage type and resistances. If you hit a heavily armored foe, you will do a percentage of your ordinary damage, not miss, or as Grimoire puts it, 'fail to penetrate.'

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Is there any way while shopping to see if a party member can use an item before purchasing? I bought a Lance for my Templar, and was told I couldn't use it.

It would be nice if you could click above or below the scrollbars in the spell screen to move one page up, or one page down.

The thing that confuses me about shopping is that I have to identify some of the items to know what they are (identified through the shopkeepers built in menu) so why make us do all the extra clicks instead of just saying whats for sale?

Is there a reason Im just not getting?

Okay, more interface thoughts: I think you should be able to click-and-drag portraits of party members to reorganize them. It would also be nice if you could hit the 'esc' key to enter menu. Then hit it a second time (like a toggle switch) to close the main menu. All nitpicks aside, I am having fun. I think the game just deserves a little more explanation - like a manual to RTFM on.

You can rearrange them. You click and click, as opposed to click and drag. I asked for esc in the 90s. It is a mind boggling choice not to include it a quarter of a century later. I was in my 30s then, I am in 60s now.
I can only assume that the very limited function esc has now, somehow would interfere with it? Probably wrong, but really, why would you NOT do this?

You can toggle the bar graph display to a numeric one too by clicking.

I was having fun, but the balance of the game is so broken, I can't takes it no more :cry: Broken balance and an inconsistant and horrendous interface ruin what could have been a gem.

These are about my thoughts. I don't mind the interface, but another 2-3 months to balance gameplay.

Biggus

Scholar
Ideally a revamp would be best. I propose what I have because I believe it would require less work.

Let's hope that if he ever does anything, it turns out better than this. Honestly, it is embarrassing. I am not seeing the, "I am the king of coding!" self promotion lately, which is probably wise at this stage :P

lijGHZ6.png

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist

The thing that confuses me about shopping is that I have to identify some of the items to know what they are (identified through the shopkeepers built in menu) so why make us do all the extra clicks instead of just saying whats for sale?

Is there a reason Im just not getting?

Cleve probably forgot the option to either use your own identifying skill, or have the merchant identify it for you at an extra cost.

mondblut

Arcane
oh and do not worry if you have a fully party if the npc will join you you will get the option to pick which party member to get rid of but it is not permanent because you can find their bones in the Shrine of the Raptor and if you have a scroll or wand of raise dead you can bring them back to life. their bones will be in an alcove and there are 8 alcoves for all 8 party members pretty cool right?
Wait, are you saying that if I kick somebody out of my party that it kills them and I won't be able to get them back unless I resurrect their bones? That is most bogus!

Nope. They look like bones in niches, but you don't have to resurrect them. Just click on the niche, choose whom to dismiss, and your party member is back, alive and kicking.

Anyways, what happens to an NPC resurrected from bones when dismissed? Mistral, for instance.

jfunk

Augur
Got my keys last night at 8:49 and 9:21pm Eastern. Was supposed to be combined into one pledge/tier (which I discussed with Cleve back when the campaign was ongoing). We'll see if that's still possible. If not, I may have two keys to gift instead of one.

Regarding the impending save fix, if the only problem importing is with saves INSIDE the sanctuary, then perhaps the players could roll back to 1205, get their party out of the area, then save and update to the latest version?

This is of course assuming Cleve actually fixes the problem. As has been noted, he's suspiciously fixated on the Sanctuary when brand new V1205 parties that never stepped foot in there still have the bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom