Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Biggus

Scholar
One more thought: tab key to open and close map. Also, left and right scroll keys for cycling through party members you've created in library. Interface is a little unintuitive, and what is with all these "no penetration" attacks? I don't know what the different attack types mean either. Valiant effort, either way. I'm going to go back to playing, this has been an exciting month for me.

F3 to open map, F1 to see keys.

Biggus

Scholar
Must say, the decline from 11 inventory spots down to 9 for 'convenience' scrolling-faster buttons seems like a bad move. Heard Click+Enter could scroll fast before anyway and I don't mind clicking more. But losing 2 inventory spots does irk me.
Anyone else an opinion?

11, 9, or 27, it doesn't work. Like so much of the game, it is a good idea in theory, that should have been thrown out when it was first tried in early design. Global inventory = great idea, saves much micro managing. A (poorly) scrolling, global inventory, with no provision to sort or group or easily arrange anything = horrid

treborSux

Arcane
Do recruitable NPCs leave after a certain time or not go to certain areas? Is it viable to make a party of 6 characters, find two NPCs you like and stick with them for the rest of the game?

Biggus

Scholar
Do recruitable NPCs leave after a certain time or not go to certain areas? Is it viable to make a party of 6 characters, find two NPCs you like and stick with them for the rest of the game?

It is viable in one sense, but not in another. I recruited one, and it essentially broke the game, due to being so OP. Ok, so you don't recruit it, then ask why can't I do what the game allows me to, and possibly encourages me to? I guess you can make arguments both ways, if you want an easy early ride, recruit, if you don't, don't recruit, but wouldn't it make better sense that if the early game was balanced correctly, then you could do either? Sigh.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Grats Cleve!

cleve_cheers.gif
DarkUnderlord can we have this as a smiley?
I'm ok with that if DU is.

Cyler Rubin

Educated
I have found rumblings and discussions about this game probably 10 to 20 times in the past 15 years and each time would forget it existed. Then I saw it on steam the other day and was like, "Oh yeah! I remember reading about this!". I've heard things about Cleve, and so on from a great many detractors, but just watching a bit of a let's play signaled to me, its definitely a game I want to pick up when I get paid. Took you 20 years, hats off for that amount of dedication, man! Can't wait to give it a shot.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
There are some interface improvements to make.

Here's an inventory idea...

Keep the rows as they are, but add the ability to toggle 4-5 row view. You get an elegant improvement that makes the first row a quick access bar and the other rows manageable.

In expanded view, allow filtering and sorting by type.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
So I sauntered over to baxander's Youtube channel and I see he is now a Grimoire fan as was discussed earlier in this thread.

I have to say that I'm surprised. Is Cleve aware of this? Have they reconciled?

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is no mystery, we like beauty and everyone that truly likes beauty is an elitist and a true elitist is someone willing to put up the effort, and a game made from love and autistic attention to detail is a beautiful thing, and everything that is beautiful is worthy the effort.

If you go to the forums where the plebs are located, they don't know what beauty is or are inspired by it, they consume games as they eat hamburgers. They want a distraction, not inspiration, there is nothing wrong to want to be distracted sometimes but the casual public, that makes the majority of the gaming industry, made this on a way of life to a point where they don't know what beauty is or even value it.

Things got to a point, that game designers make games to be accessible and not to be inspiring because to be inspiring, requires to be demanding and the mindless zombie horde is easily bored with demanding, they need entertainment as an addict demands crack, they aren't willing to work for it. I completely despise developers than embrace that sickness and defend it as good. We are after inspiration, not only entertainment, that is why we are willing to put up with bugs and all those problems, otherwise we would be like the little bitches on the steam forums.

The "Incline" is not only a buzzword employed at the Codex: the inclining slope of a mountainside is a metaphor used in philosophy since times immemorial.

“In a sense everything that is exists to climb. All evolution is a climbing towards a higher form. Climbing for life as it reaches towards the consciousness, towards the spirit. We have always honored the high places because we sense them to be the homes of gods. In the mountains there is the promise of… something unexplainable. A higher place of awareness, a spirit that soars. So we climb… and in climbing there is more than a metaphor; there is a means of discovery.”

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog.jpg

Escalating the incline is the archetypal example of struggle, and struggle is at the core of life itself moreso than anything else. An "Inclined" game like AoD or Grimoire offers resistance to the player, while rewarding those who overcome the resistance with the joys of exploration and the true feeling of achievement. Learning to appreciate true struggle is the sociological goal of a game, just like emotional catharsis is the goal of a narrative in drama.

Both games and drama have been largely hijacked by exploitative interests peddling self-destructive thoughts, and now mostly replace the concepts of struggle and catharsis for cheap power fantasies (simulating the exertion of power without the requisite struggle) and emotional pandering (which gives feelings of reassurance to the morally corrupt instead of catharsis).

In resisting these trends, a game of "MASSIVE INCLINE" like Grimoire ultimately symbolizes resistance to the decline of modern Western society, which is even more accentuated by Grimoire graphically offering a retrospective window to the past era of the 90s. It's no coincidence that the postmodernist SJWs flock to the reviews and discussion forums like hyenas. They feel that Grimoire is antithetical to their worldview, and they recoil from it like a vampire facing sunlight. Their ultimate goal can be interpolated to be the annihilation of all constructive, struggling forces, all duty and all responsibility, replacing this with their hedonist pink fluffy wishful thinking which ultimately is only a disguise for death itself, which is what life is when you remove the struggle.

Accordingly, choosing the incline is not only a 36,99€ payment to Cleveland Mark Blakemore, it is in fact to choose life over death. Cultivating an indomitable will to ascend the Incline to the heavens is ultimately the best investment you can make, even though the screeching, indulgent crowd who follow the path of least resistance descending the Decline into that other place will try to drag you down and tell you otherwise.

Biggus

Scholar
There are some interface improvements to make.

Here's an inventory idea...

Keep the rows as they are, but add the ability to toggle 4-5 row view. You get an elegant improvement that makes the first row a quick access bar and the other rows manageable.

In expanded view, allow filtering and sorting by type.

That would be an huge improvement (ANYTHING would be an improvement FFS)

How about leaving the thing as it is, but losing the arrows and turning it from an inventory into a quick launch, then adding a whole new screen that is the global inventory? This extra screen would allow normal inventory functions, like sort, join, filter, and so on. Why not make this new screen a tabbed interface, so that the rest of the cramped unreadable stuff could be moved there.

Thing is, by the time you make the changes to the interface, virutally notthing remains of the old one and therein lies the problem. You have to admit there's a problem before you can solve it, and you have to have the skills to implement the fixes.

You could add configurable hotkeys, radical idea eh? :P

So many ideas, none are likely to be acknowledged. :(

GandGolf

Augur
oh and do not worry if you have a fully party if the npc will join you you will get the option to pick which party member to get rid of but it is not permanent because you can find their bones in the Shrine of the Raptor and if you have a scroll or wand of raise dead you can bring them back to life. their bones will be in an alcove and there are 8 alcoves for all 8 party members pretty cool right?
Wait, are you saying that if I kick somebody out of my party that it kills them and I won't be able to get them back unless I resurrect their bones? That is most bogus!

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
There is no mystery, we like beauty and everyone that truly likes beauty is an elitist and a true elitist is someone willing to put up the effort, and a game made from love and autistic attention to detail is a beautiful thing, and everything that is beautiful is worthy the effort.

If you go to the forums where the plebs are located, they don't know what beauty is or are inspired by it, they consume games as they eat hamburgers. They want a distraction, not inspiration, there is nothing wrong to want to be distracted sometimes but the casual public, that makes the majority of the gaming industry, made this on a way of life to a point where they don't know what beauty is or even value it.

Things got to a point, that game designers make games to be accessible and not to be inspiring because to be inspiring, requires to be demanding and the mindless zombie horde is easily bored with demanding, they need entertainment as an addict demands crack, they aren't willing to work for it. I completely despise developers than embrace that sickness and defend it as good. We are after inspiration, not only entertainment, that is why we are willing to put up with bugs and all those problems, otherwise we would be like the little bitches on the steam forums.

The "Incline" is not only a buzzword employed at the Codex: the inclining slope of a mountainside is a metaphor used in philosophy since times immemorial.

“In a sense everything that is exists to climb. All evolution is a climbing towards a higher form. Climbing for life as it reaches towards the consciousness, towards the spirit. We have always honored the high places because we sense them to be the homes of gods. In the mountains there is the promise of… something unexplainable. A higher place of awareness, a spirit that soars. So we climb… and in climbing there is more than a metaphor; there is a means of discovery.”

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog.jpg

Escalating the incline is the archetypal example of struggle, and struggle is at the core of life itself moreso than anything else. An "Inclined" game like AoD or Grimoire offers resistance to the player, while rewarding those who overcome the resistance with the joys of exploration and the true feeling of achievement. Learning to appreciate true struggle is the sociological goal of a game, just like emotional catharsis is the goal of a narrative in drama.

Both games and drama have been largely hijacked by exploitative interests peddling self-destructive thoughts, and now mostly replace the concepts of struggle and catharsis for cheap power fantasies (simulating the exertion of power without the requisite struggle) and emotional pandering (which gives feelings of reassurance to the morally corrupt instead of catharsis).

In resisting these trends, a game of "MASSIVE INCLINE" like Grimoire ultimately symbolizes resistance to the decline of modern Western society, which is even more accentuated by Grimoire graphically offering a retrospective window to the past era of the 90s. It's no coincidence that the postmodernist SJWs flock to the reviews and discussion forums like hyenas. They feel that Grimoire is antithetical to their worldview, and they recoil from it like a vampire facing sunlight. Their ultimate goal can be interpolated to be the annihilation of all constructive, struggling forces, all duty and all responsibility, replacing this with their hedonist pink fluffy wishful thinking which ultimately is only a disguise for death itself, which is what life is when you remove the struggle.

Accordingly, choosing the incline is not only a 36,99€ payment to Cleveland Mark Blakemore, it is in fact to choose life over death. Cultivating an indomitable will to ascend the Incline to the heavens is ultimately the best investment you can make, even though the screeching, indulgent crowd who follow the path of least resistance descending the Decline into that other place will try to drag you down and tell you otherwise.
This needs to be the top Steam Review, lol

Save games are not corrupted, they just won't load, Cleve is hacking something together to get them working apparently.

Hi.

gosh that is like my friend I helped moved in during the Deadfire countdown if you missed it it was a lot of fun as many of us from Codex hooked up, drank and joined in on the party we may have met but did not know it. Anyhow the management never booked the elevator for my friend or got the loading dock doors opened and it was a big hassle and we had to use the only eleveator in service to go up to the floor. So just recently I learned from my friend all of the storage spots folks paid for on the 2nd floor underground parking garage got broken into but people living there were not sure how and probably just an inside job.

To get down there you need a keycard which means to have one you live in the building right? But get this okay"? from the first level to the second level there is a door again with a keycard. Next to this door is a HANDICAP button to OPEN the door right? So you can just press that and unlock the door and get inside without needing a keycard so all the person did was wait for a car to enter the underground parking and go to the door and press the button to get to the area all of the storage spaces are and snapped locks with a crowbar and stole.

That is exactly what is happening here with Grimoire. We paid two weeks worth of pop tarts for the kids to play this game and some guy presses the update button and we're all screwed and it has been SEVEN HOURS since this guy posted about fixing it on Steam. Probably has me on ignore from the smell my finger episode but this is not just me now it is everyone with this issue.

I did not think I would like the game but after figuring a few things out I started to like playing the game while having morning coffee and just explore. Been reading on some other games like it and lots of posts here point to might and magic 6 for similar game play.

jfunk hey there! :) gosh that aquavia sounds like a name for skin cream but how about drowning? did you drown your first time there before you found the button or maybe you put points into swimming? It is a fun little dungeon romp when you get going though. for me I still have to find a way into the Black Lich doors and the Saint George place I think it is called and before all these problems this morning I cleared out the ghosts in the Spirit Mines.

Thanks,
Sherry

Cleve smelled your pop-tarts, got it.

Does anyone know how to recruit NPCs? I've tried "group," "join," "party," and "recruit" as commands, and still cannot recruit Mordecai. He keeps talking about the stupid vanguard
You can change the bubble talk to buy, sell, recruit... during an encounter the same way you can change attack, shield, whatnot during fights. And you can't recruit Mordecai.

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit - lesser damage the more protected the opponent is. I just had a fight with two chaps go on for almost twenty minutes because none of my party could hit them, and for some reason poison wasn't going off. This is a game balance issue, and create a very janky feel to in-and-out-of combat. It's not worth the 33 exp to face randoms. More experience, less RNG.
If you can't penetrate, you don't hit them. Increase strength and agility to hit more. It's more about skill and less about RNG. I'm hit them left and right most of the time now.

It also has to do with hit dice and attack type - if you have a 1D4 stick with low skills and stats, you're probably not going to penetrate very often.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Cleve back on duty. Save game (backward) compatibility is probably indeed the most critical issue.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [ontwikkelaar] Zojuist
I am working on it now. I think this is good because I am making the loader smarter and to look at possible discrepancies and not assume the savegame is the voice of authority if it doesn't match the current data in the map. This will protect in the future if there is ever a similar map edit that changes pointer structure. The side effect of this could be for some of you is that Sanctuary will vanish into the Twilight Zone as though it never existed. If your savegame was from inside Sanctuary you may find your party locked inside it for all eternity like the seventh circle of Hell, doomed to ride the non-functioning metabolic enhancer for all time and fire the Star Gauntlet at the walls until you go hopelessly mad. There will be no effect on new games but the ladder will disappear back to it and there will be no way out for those who were inside when they saved.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cleve back on duty. Save game (backward) compatibility is probably indeed the most critical issue.
(...).
Sheer poetry, especially in its updated and expanded version:
I am working on it now. I think this is good because I am making the loader smarter and to look at possible discrepancies and not assume the savegame is the voice of authority if it doesn't match the current data in the map. This will protect in the future if there is ever a similar map edit that changes pointer structure. The side effect of this could be for some of you is that Sanctuary will vanish into the Twilight Zone as though it never existed. If your savegame was from inside Sanctuary you may find your party locked inside it for all eternity like the seventh circle of Hell, doomed to ride the non-functioning metabolic enhancer for all time and fire the Star Gauntlet at the walls until you go hopelessly mad. There will be no effect on new games but the ladder will disappear back to it and there will be no way out for those who were inside when they saved. I pity those of you left trapped inside but I have to worry about the living who made it to safety from the permanently sealed death chamber of Sanctuary.

Also,
Prestigious, rare goldfist awarded. +M:incline:+M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom