Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mondblut

Arcane
Ok. Multiple dead ends - looking for some help / comments

1. Killed the Horror, went through the teleporter - no idea how to pass the Exemplar Seal, this one is the one I imagine is blocking forward progress. Any clues?

That's all one dead end.

Despite all the clues referencing "Timeless Lessons" section of the Catacombs
I still have no idea how to translate that to the 6 actions available for the Chronoworks in the Museum of Magic

Press buttons featuring words from Lessons in the same order they are in Lessons. Like TWISTing and TURNing on the WIND etc

4. What is the fricking nest in the Eyrie for?

once you solved the chronoworks
and also found an egg
and produced mechano egg
and hatched it back at chronoworks
release the bird here

mondblut

Arcane
How do you get across the gorge?

I suppose you need to activate a bridge. Is that where the stepping stones come in?

Yep. The important quirk is that you click them on "use" icon, not the other way around which by some reason doesn't work.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay, I'm still stuck. Where do I get the key for the gate into Samhain? I remember there was a closed gate in Ukluk and I have the Key of Mystery that I'm not sure where to use.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Alright, back to Spirit Caves on my second playthrough and I remember people talking about a second ghost. I assume there's some hidden wall or switch I'm missing since I only have 77% map completion. Time to sniff around every tile with Detect Secret.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Lady Error,

Key of the Mysteries is used to
open the gate in the Crusader Temple Catacombs in the hallway labelled "Timeless Lessons of the Winged Exemplar" unless I'm mistaken.

mondblut

Arcane
Okay, I'm still stuck. Where do I get the key for the gate into Samhain? I remember there was a closed gate in Ukluk and I have the Key of Mystery that I'm not sure where to use.

find letter of marque in ukluk mines, bring it to Smithers. the rest is obvious.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Choices and consequences are top notch in this game, for example:

xue9PSC.png

Ent

Savant
How worth it are the Jester, Pirate, and Assassin? The experience penalty form class changing is making me hesitant to build towards those classes.

Trash Player

Scholar
How worth it are the Jester, Pirate, and Assassin? The experience penalty form class changing is making me hesitant to build towards those classes.
Both Assassin and Jester have access to 2 spellbooks at -2 pace, on top of their specialties. They are slow as hell to level.
Pirate has access to 1 at -5 and probably skills and eq. He is not too slow to level though.

Giant Dwarf

Literate
Choices and consequences are top notch in this game, for example: [/spoiler]
You know, if you kill him, can you still progress in the game?

I killed him, then went to another house and killed everyone there as well. They seem to drop critical items so I assume you can progress just fine.

also, mordecai seemed to have no problem with any of this

Viata

Arcane
Choices and consequences are top notch in this game, for example:

xue9PSC.png
You know, if you kill him, can you still progress in the game?

I'm scared to find out. I tried to kill him at first but he summoned 2 large groups of vanguards and wiped my party.
Yeah, that is what I'll be doing on my next roll. To see which NPC can be killed without problem.

Darkforge

Augur
Had to download the earlier version since Cleve activated auto-updates and my saves stopped working.

Basically, start the Steam console by typing this in the browser: steam://nav/console

Then in the Steam console type in:
download_depot 650670 650672 7939698706882502090

If you want other previous versions, you need to change the last number (ManifestID). A list of all ManifestID's is here:
https://steamdb.info/depot/650672/manifests/

HI!!!!

heart.png
heart.png
xoxoxo tu sooooooo much for these directions but for me to get it to stop crashing I followed your directions but had to copy the files from steam\steamapps\content\app_650670\depot_650670 and overwrite the files that got updated in steamapps\common\Grimoire_directory but it w
heart.png
heart.png
heart.png
heart.png
heart.png
rks!

all of my hearts all of my kisses Lady Error does not know what she's been a missing oh no! lol :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

This occurred to me last night after about 10 hours into the game. closed game for a short break, relaunched.. Aw oh, Grimoire has an update, greeted to a blank screen when loading save.

Lovely.

Then see the post about Cleve saying there's only a 1 percent chance of this happening in the future.
In a 600 hour game, even one percent is one percent too much.

Then after reading his comments on steam it seems like his "thoughts" on a fix seem to be a stab in the dark.

Thanks for this, otherwise I would find it pretty hard pressed to put anymore time into this game, if my saves can be broken without warning and with steams retarded forced update system.

Fuck the manual, and screen scaling, this should be Cleve's priority.

PrettyDeadman

Then see the post about Cleve saying there's only a 1 percent chance of this happening in the future.
If you do the math 1 percent for 600 hour game means that it's going to happen at least 6 more times (1 time per hundred hours).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does anyone know how increasing the berserk skill affects the berserk ability? Does having a higher berserk skill level increase the chances of a berserked berserker hitting the enemy rather than other PCs, or does it just increase the damage bonus?

Similarly, does the shield skill actually work? Is it just a passive effect or should there be messages about blocking attacks?

Is the backstab skill restricted to certain weapon types (e.g. blades)?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you do the math 1 percent for 600 hour game means that it's going to happen at least 6 more times (1 time per hundred hours).

That's... not how the math works. :retarded:

dionizeno

Novice
Does anyone know how increasing the berserk skill affects the berserk ability? Does having a higher berserk skill level increase the chances of a berserked berserker hitting the enemy rather than other PCs, or does it just increase the damage bonus?

Similarly, does the shield skill actually work? Is it just a passive effect or should there be messages about blocking attacks?

Is the backstab skill restricted to certain weapon types (e.g. blades)?

1. Yes afair from the demo, or just use the exploit that they keep berserking in fight (w/o mental issues after resting) as long as you don't give new orders.
2. In demo it didnt seem to work but you still got the extra ac.
3. Not sure but i think so bc berserking is.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, this is specifically not the way to apply that. It's 1% chance per update. Unless there's going to be 600 updates, one per hour of your game, you're not going to get 6 save breaking updates. If there are 100 updates, there's 1 save breaking update. That's how do it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah, this is specifically not the way to apply that. It's 1% chance per update. Unless there's going to be 600 updates, one per hour of your game, you're not going to get 6 save breaking updates. If there are 100 updates, there's 1 save breaking update. That's how do it.

On average, each patch is independent of other patches, blah blah blah...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I feel like I'm lost here, I did the burial, gave the ashes back to that big face and now I don't know where to go.
Samhain Waterworks. There's a turtle you have to find through a suicidal path:
Stand at the pier, turn right. move two tiles, then turn right again, two tiles again. Then click on the wall to reveal a secret. A turtle will be waiting for you. Ride it around and you'll eventually find a teleporter. Ill let you take it from there.

I swam with two of my girls through most of that chamber, refilling vitality just enough to get out. Turns out, Cleve is not as sadistic as I thought and it's much closer.

gestalt11

Arbiter

On average, each patch is independent of other patches, blah blah blah...

Actually if there is a 1% chance per patch of something occurring then after 100 patches you have 0.99^100 = 36.6% chance of not having any issues.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, started a new party yet again, picked up Little Rosy and finally getting some momentum. Rosy's definitely a cheaty character but it's helping me stay alive long enough to figure things out. Given how slow the interface is it's also nice to have someone with a lot of points in Assay right off the bat instead of casting Identify every item (since I'm already casting Detect Secrets every so often).

Apologies for overlap, though I've read most of the thread:

>Lockpick game, there's the hangman variant and the chain variant.
>>Hangman: what's the logic? Sometimes I can freely click ?s to reveal letters then pick the letters to make the word, at other times picking a ? or even what I suspect to be the correct letter fires the trap. Do I have to have more Inspection/Lockpick to give me a chance?
>>Chains: Again, sometimes I can freely click the squares to get the numbers, sometimes just clicking on the first square gives me a red *? Although that time getting two green sets got me to open the lock despite having the third set of chains go red.

>There's also a way to Force the door, where you select two dudes to push, and it seems to expend vitality.

>Scribe spells, you need scribe skill then you also need the class that can cast that spell or is it only the skill?

>Cleve really decided that even after identifying, you will never get in-game descriptions of what a spell scroll's spell does or what a potion does etc? Are we going to have to trial and error every set of berries and whatever? The lack of info crimps my playing more than any screen scaling or even the horrible sound looping.

>With armour I can see the various body part AC & total AC go up and down in the Equip screen, but how can I compare weapon damage?

>No way to quickload or even load, only to Endgame/Quit then load in from main menu?

>I walk into a store, I meet Smithers. I say bye. I can no longer meet Smithers. Seems like only way is to exit the building then re-enter. Cleve never figured out how to do it otherwise I guess.

>Do we know yet some of the more generic conversation words? I could never get much out of Mordecai, except for stuff like "Ask Captain Krone about Krone." Do we know how to ask if they have any jobs for us?

>After exploring most of Briarpatch woods and some of Crowl, dudes are still level 1 and frontliner fighters can go from full health to death at the very start of Turn 1 if they're unlucky. What should I be aiming for to increase their survivability ASAP?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Do I have to have more Inspection/Lockpick to give me a chance?

Yes.

>Scribe spells, you need scribe skill then you also need the class that can cast that spell or is it only the skill?

Only scribe skill as far as I can see

>Cleve really decided that even after identifying, you will never get in-game descriptions of what a spell scroll's spell does or what a potion does etc? Are we going to have to trial and error every set of berries and whatever? The lack of info crimps my playing more than any screen scaling or even the horrible sound looping.

Sort of yes. "SuperID" gives you the description in the journal, which reveals everything (usually). You can also "look" at the item, which sometimes gives you the general idea. Early on your options for identifying is limited to NPCs with specific items and specific start (and there the oracle identifies only limited number of items)

>With armour I can see the various body part AC & total AC go up and down in the Equip screen, but how can I compare weapon damage?

Compare the dice rolls. Should be pretty straightforward.

>No way to quickload or even load, only to Endgame/Quit then load in from main menu?

No.

>Do we know yet some of the more generic conversation words? I could never get much out of Mordecai, except for stuff like "Ask Captain Krone about Krone." Do we know how to ask if they have any jobs for us?

You can say "quest" and that should give you the idea on how it goes... You have to talk to them, sometimes bribing them and sometimes using charm. There are no universal solutions. Usually you have to learn hints to figure out what words are relevant.

>After exploring most of Briarpatch woods and some of Crowl, dudes are still level 1 and frontliner fighters can go from full health to death at the very start of Turn 1 if they're unlucky. What should I be aiming for to increase their survivability ASAP?

Crowd control, gear and more levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom