Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Well fuck. My saves are all corrupt. Apparently Cleve fucked all the saved games up with his latest update.

Makes me nervous. Do I revert Grimoire to a version that is still compatible with my saves or do I reroll? If I keep playing does that mean my current save will never be compatible with future updates? Or if I reroll, does that mean the same fucking thing will happen 200 hours in?

Hi !

okay wtf is with that name or something really? Really?? whatever!!

but I have the same problem as you so do not think it is your computer giving you false malware reports it has nothing to do with that but everything to do with the latest update that all of my own save games are useless and I am unable to continue my adventure with tiny sherry and little rosey after 7 hours!!! the other post linked about the developer fixing this issue was over SEVEN HOURS ago!!! wtf right?

I am not restarting after all the struggles I had to go through to get through all the areas and beating ghosts and a mummy too but I hope the update does add more items in the store like there is only 1 suit of armor to buy and no arrows anywhere except for the one bundle you can buy. don't waste points in arrows!!!

Thanks,
Sherry
i knew this was gonna be another classic the moment i saw the avatar. pure gold, sherry, pure gold :'D.

Viata

Arcane
*sigh* can we keep the broken walls and the Lalain Falls cell in the Sanctuary, or whatever causes save incompatibility, and just get hotfixes for perk/locksmith/common gate key crashes and "animpack" crashes when fighting ?WORMS? (the huge ugly Dune-like ones, not the tiny white ones or medium hand-drawn Dune-like ones)? Pretty please? I'd happily stay at 1201 if only those crashes could be fixed.
I was always killing myself when fighting them so the game doesn't break.

Does anyone know how to recruit NPCs? I've tried "group," "join," "party," and "recruit" as commands, and still cannot recruit Mordecai. He keeps talking about the stupid vanguard.

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit - lesser damage the more protected the opponent is. I just had a fight with two chaps go on for almost twenty minutes because none of my party could hit them, and for some reason poison wasn't going off. This is a game balance issue, and create a very janky feel to in-and-out-of combat. It's not worth the 33 exp to face randoms. More experience, less RNG.

jfunk

Augur
jfunk hey there! :) gosh that aquavia sounds like a name for skin cream but how about drowning? did you drown your first time there before you found the button or maybe you put points into swimming? It is a fun little dungeon romp when you get going though. for me I still have to find a way into the Black Lich doors and the Saint George place I think it is called and before all these problems this morning I cleared out the ghosts in the Spirit Mines.

Thanks,
Sherry

No, I have not drown yet because I played Crusaders so I know better.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I must say that I'm really impressed with the attitude of the majority of the Codex with Grimoire.

Granted, I'm a newfag and I never watched closely a user releasing some game over here (if it ever happened), but what is making me happy is how people are reacting to the game.

The rule in the internet is that: Broken/buggy release = Doomed title that you get shit for the rest of its life. WIth the case of Grimoire, I'm not only witnessing the patience of users towards some bugs (including the one that breaks the save files) but also willing to help Cleve, making a community manual, asking for people to send broken saves to try to fix etc.

Again, I'm a newfag here, but this sense of community is one that I rarely seen on the internet.

Congratulations to everyone involved in this. :salute:
There is no mystery, we like beauty and everyone that truly likes beauty is an elitist and a true elitist is someone willing to put up the effort, and a game made from love and autistic attention to detail is a beautiful thing, and everything that is beautiful is worthy the effort.

If you go to the forums where the plebs are located, they don't know what beauty is or are inspired by it, they consume games as they eat hamburgers. They want a distraction, not inspiration, there is nothing wrong to want to be distracted sometimes but the casual public, that makes the majority of the gaming industry, made this on a way of life to a point where they don't know what beauty is or even value it.

Things got to a point, that game designers make games to be accessible and not to be inspiring because to be inspiring, requires to be demanding and the mindless zombie horde is easily bored with demanding, they need entertainment as an addict demands crack, they aren't willing to work for it. I completely despise developers than embrace that sickness and defend it as good. We are after inspiration, not only entertainment, that is why we are willing to put up with bugs and all those problems, otherwise we would be like the little bitches on the steam forums.

Viata

Arcane
Does anyone know how to recruit NPCs? I've tried "group," "join," "party," and "recruit" as commands, and still cannot recruit Mordecai. He keeps talking about the stupid vanguard
You can change the bubble talk to buy, sell, recruit... during an encounter the same way you can change attack, shield, whatnot during fights. And you can't recruit Mordecai.

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit - lesser damage the more protected the opponent is. I just had a fight with two chaps go on for almost twenty minutes because none of my party could hit them, and for some reason poison wasn't going off. This is a game balance issue, and create a very janky feel to in-and-out-of combat. It's not worth the 33 exp to face randoms. More experience, less RNG.
If you can't penetrate, you don't hit them. Increase strength and agility to hit more. It's more about skill and less about RNG. I'm hit them left and right most of the time now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
who are these people that play grimoire but never heard of consequences for dieing? and why do you speak for them?
edit: and yeah, that's a real consequence spending some gold to resurrect at a temple. and it makes so much fucking sense for the temple cleric to be able to resurrect your guys but your own cleric not. same goes for whoever wrote the scrolls.
this is really typical for sawyerism to put common sense on second place after balance. it's also the main reason for all moronic design decisions in poe. as a party leader i can't order my party to lay down and rest because balance. i can't carry more than 2 bags of food with fucking 6 people, but i can carry 100 swords, shields, armors... because balance.
are you starting to understand? of course not. if the years spent here taught you nothing yet, what chance do i have?

I was just throwing out ideas off the top of my head. Really any kind of components or high gold cost would be suitable enough.

Incidentally I looked up the deal with Wizardry 7's resurrection spell and there's like no cost at all other than mana (though success is randomized with higher vitality increasing chances). Grimoire's inclusion of raise dead is a cargo cultier step back, as I saw when I checked out Wizardry 6's spell list

USELESS SPELLS (well, at least learning them increases max MP)
* Resurrection - raising a dead character reduces Vitalty by 1 permanently.

Sherry

Arcane
Does anyone know how to recruit NPCs? I've tried "group," "join," "party," and "recruit" as commands, and still cannot recruit Mordecai. He keeps talking about the stupid vanguard.

Hi!

happy to help you if I can I learned when you meet an npc like my favorite little rosey pick the best character you have for talking and click the little arrows under the round button. so instead of clicking the little talk icon button you use the arrows and scroll through and click pass buy/sell and there will eventually be a join button.

oh and do not worry if you have a fully party if the npc will join you you will get the option to pick which party member to get rid of but it is not permanent because you can find their bones in the Shrine of the Raptor and if you have a scroll or wand of raise dead you can bring them back to life. their bones will be in an alcove and there are 8 alcoves for all 8 party members pretty cool right?

Thanks,
Sherry

mondblut

Arcane
Incidentally I looked up the deal with Wizardry 7's resurrection spell and there's like no cost at all other than mana (though success is randomized with higher vitality increasing chances).

Wizardry 7 tracks how many times a character died, and even has a special graphic for it on character screen (the candle that burns down with each death). You think they made it just for shits and giggles?

Grimoire's inclusion of raise dead is a cargo cultier step back

What's good for AD&D is good for everything.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Incidentally I looked up the deal with Wizardry 7's resurrection spell and there's like no cost at all other than mana (though success is randomized with higher vitality increasing chances).

Wizardry 7 tracks how many times a character died, and even has a special graphic for it on character screen (the candle that burns down with each death). You think they made it just for shits and giggles?

Grimoire's inclusion of raise dead is a cargo cultier step back

she will never understand.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Save games are not corrupted, they just won't load, Cleve is hacking something together to get them working apparently.

Hi.

gosh that is like my friend I helped moved in during the Deadfire countdown if you missed it it was a lot of fun as many of us from Codex hooked up, drank and joined in on the party we may have met but did not know it. Anyhow the management never booked the elevator for my friend or got the loading dock doors opened and it was a big hassle and we had to use the only eleveator in service to go up to the floor. So just recently I learned from my friend all of the storage spots folks paid for on the 2nd floor underground parking garage got broken into but people living there were not sure how and probably just an inside job.

To get down there you need a keycard which means to have one you live in the building right? But get this okay"? from the first level to the second level there is a door again with a keycard. Next to this door is a HANDICAP button to OPEN the door right? So you can just press that and unlock the door and get inside without needing a keycard so all the person did was wait for a car to enter the underground parking and go to the door and press the button to get to the area all of the storage spaces are and snapped locks with a crowbar and stole.

That is exactly what is happening here with Grimoire. We paid two weeks worth of pop tarts for the kids to play this game and some guy presses the update button and we're all screwed and it has been SEVEN HOURS since this guy posted about fixing it on Steam. Probably has me on ignore from the smell my finger episode but this is not just me now it is everyone with this issue.

I did not think I would like the game but after figuring a few things out I started to like playing the game while having morning coffee and just explore. Been reading on some other games like it and lots of posts here point to might and magic 6 for similar game play.

jfunk hey there! :) gosh that aquavia sounds like a name for skin cream but how about drowning? did you drown your first time there before you found the button or maybe you put points into swimming? It is a fun little dungeon romp when you get going though. for me I still have to find a way into the Black Lich doors and the Saint George place I think it is called and before all these problems this morning I cleared out the ghosts in the Spirit Mines.

Thanks,
Sherry
how the fuck do you connect your dots? it's like your neurons throw dice every time before they build a synapse. you're all over the place :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

In the few minutes I spent researching this, I didn't see anything about it also aging you. That's a suitable alternative.

I disagree, but I would agree it's suitable for Grimoire, since it's a reflection of its creator: a living fossil.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

In the few minutes I spent researching this, I didn't see anything about it also aging you. That's a suitable alternative.

I disagree, but I would agree it's suitable for Grimoire, since it's a reflection of its creator: a living fossil.
you say that... yet here you are, in the grimoire thread, bitching about something that you yourself admit is suitable for grimoire.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Grats Cleve!

cleve_cheers.gif
DarkUnderlord can we have this as a smiley?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you say that... yet here you are, in the grimoire thread, bitching about something that you yourself admit is suitable for grimoire.

Consider that something can be grognardily appropriate but also a different kind of grognard appropriate without losing any hardcoreness or what have you.

Finally got out of Crowl. I couldn't figure out how to recruit Mordecai, and when I went back for him, no one to talk to. Anyone know if he reappears, or did I miss my chance to recruit him?

Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit...less RNG.

Agent of decline detected.

Butthurt detected. Are you suggesting that having imbalanced and buggy games is part of the age of incline? Or just that Grimoire is without flaws?

On a more serious note, I think it needs about another 2-3 months of balancing. I really like what I am seeing. Then a bug in the newbie zone throws a fireball at my party and wipes two members a second after I spawn in the newbie zone. Or a random respawn walks into the room and wrecks my party a second after I save. That kinda balancing issue.

Last edited:

jfunk

Augur
Also, this game needs a patch to fix the constant RNG. It's annoying. If you swing, you should hit...less RNG.

Butthurt detected. Are you suggesting that having imbalanced and buggy games is part of the age of incline? Or just that Grimoire is without flaws?

No, I'm implying that "you swing, you hit" is decline. I felt that was obvious, but apparently you find the very possibility of missing to be some kind of imbalance. This isn't some competitive RTS where clicks per minute determine victory because every action has a static result. Go swing a stick at a hostile target 100 times a tell me how infrequently factors beyond your control impact your success.

Tomatohead

Learned
These are not flaws or inbalances, in this game they are part of the character and texture. It's like a culinary masterpiece prepared by a prestigious chef who breaks the rules to create something new from old.

Alkarl

Learned

On a more serious note, I think it needs about another 2-3 months of balancing. I really like what I am seeing. Then a bug in the newbie zone throws a fireball at my party and wipes two members a second after I spawn in the newbie zone. Or a random respawn walks into the room and wrecks my party a second after I save. That kinda balancing issue.

L2P

Not every enemy need exist for the sole purpose of being handily defeated and not every encounter precludes a flawless victory. If you cannot handle them, run!

Biggus

Scholar
Okay, more interface thoughts: I think you should be able to click-and-drag portraits of party members to reorganize them. It would also be nice if you could hit the 'esc' key to enter menu. Then hit it a second time (like a toggle switch) to close the main menu. All nitpicks aside, I am having fun. I think the game just deserves a little more explanation - like a manual to RTFM on.

You can rearrange them. You click and click, as opposed to click and drag. I asked for esc in the 90s. It is a mind boggling choice not to include it a quarter of a century later. I was in my 30s then, I am in 60s now.
I can only assume that the very limited function esc has now, somehow would interfere with it? Probably wrong, but really, why would you NOT do this?

You can toggle the bar graph display to a numeric one too by clicking.

I was having fun, but the balance of the game is so broken, I can't takes it no more :cry: Broken balance and an inconsistant and horrendous interface ruin what could have been a gem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom