Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Danthar

Novice
Must say, the decline from 11 inventory spots down to 9 for 'convenience' scrolling-faster buttons seems like a bad move. Heard Click+Enter could scroll fast before anyway and I don't mind clicking more. But losing 2 inventory spots does irk me.
Anyone else an opinion?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The last laugh is being had by Indiegogo backers as everybody who started playing before them has had their saves broken.
TBH people are taking it better than I would have imagined. A few really pissed off people and a few changed reviews but overall everyone is pretty understanding.

...We really do have stockholm syndrome dont we. =(

I think it has alot to do with the prestigious target audience, which is not your typical modern gamer.

Probably comparable to the target audience of oldschool hex wargames (the ones with an actual phonebook sized manual and an insane pricetag). Often this is a pretty small group of dedicated nerds sometimes working together with the developer on forums to smash bugs or make the game better.

PrettyDeadman

The last laugh is being had by Indiegogo backers as everybody who started playing before them has had their saves broken.
TBH people are taking it better than I would have imagined. A few really pissed off people and a few changed reviews but overall everyone is pretty understanding.

...We really do have stockholm syndrome dont we. =(
Cleve's superior neanderthal intelligence told him wailing hyperconsumers shouldn't be his audience and he should target only the most monocled gentlemen with his game.

Sure, initially he could've gotten more sales, but as soon as any problem arises those ungrateful troglodytes would've been at his throat hating on him, while his current audience of high IQ superior intellectuals did not flinch when their saves became broken and poised to protect Cleve's honor like that of a fairest m'lady.

Weasel
I actually never expected Grimoire to get over 50%, no matter how the (inevitably buggy but packed full of incline) release version turned out, given how many people Cleve's trolled over the years and the rage he seems to generate in his many enemies. Or as they said on another forum, "lose temporary access to $36 for the right to leave Blakemore a message he can't delete!"

So far that response has been feebler than expected, have to say. And the spamming of the the same "rationalwiki"/"asset flip" threads on the Steam forums on a daily basis is a bit old and tired by now, surely Cleve of all people has provided more material than that over the years. Sad effort really.

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
Plus the fact that the hot 199x Raghilda turned into a shitty Anime character and the title screen displays my favorite kebap'isto as a fighter. It tastes like burnt yogurt.

What does raghilda look like now? Do you have a screenshot? Is she as bad as the title screen?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Must say, the decline from 11 inventory spots down to 9 for 'convenience' scrolling-faster buttons seems like a bad move. Heard Click+Enter could scroll fast before anyway and I don't mind clicking more. But losing 2 inventory spots does irk me.
Anyone else an opinion?

The "accelerators" are a terrible addition. Best would have been to use page up/page down, or shift + click on inventory left and right, rather than remove 2 slots.

Cleve doesn't like to use keyboard when he plays games, apparently.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually never expected Grimoire to get over 50%

I didn't either, but we were both wrong and it's obvious the % was raising bit by bit, up to 76% this morning right when the autopudate kicked in. I am sure Grimoire can stay in "Mostly positive" unless neanderthal happens.

Nixheb

Arcane
Plus the fact that the hot 199x Raghilda turned into a shitty Anime character and the title screen displays my favorite kebap'isto as a fighter. It tastes like burnt yogurt.

What does raghilda look like now? Do you have a screenshot? Is she as bad as the title screen?

No, I'm not playing, I wait for my backer's key !

A friend of mine told it to me. Raghilda is in Crowl, you can't miss her, apparently.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Fate: Gates of Dawn is your game!

Fate is the best blobber I have ever played, and the biggest, by a factor of 10 or more :) What a game. It isn't hard to find a copy and an emulator to run it.
maybe after grimoire.

So, combining that with your signature:

[QUOTE="Reapa"
]I am here to teach you fear...
For this is my prophecy:
There will be no more new good RPG's coming out ever again...
ever...
(10 July 2011)

-> Fear is dead?[/QUOTE]
let's hope so.

Weasel
Cleve, meet Twitch streamers (assuming this was Cleve)

Kyosho
15m

On the actual subject of this thread: I’ve avoided Cleve and his weirdness/insanity for years because I am legitimately interested in Grimoire itself. I know he’s an asshole, but I’ve distanced myself from it because I don’t care. It’s like people who suddenly hated Ender’s Game after they found out about Orson Scott Card’s political views. To me, that’s kind of silly. but I suppose I get it. For me though, I’m more interested in the work itself. Hitler made some beautiful paintings. Sure, he was basically the worst human being to ever exist, but he had some real skill. Heh. I can separate the artist from the art. Maybe I’m weird.

However, I was unable to ignore Cleve when he showed up in the chat of one of my favorite streamers and basically called him a bi-polar idiot who couldn’t pay attention. Which wasn’t at all true, and the stuff Cleve was trying to get him to do, Tom had already done and was trying to find something else entirely. Cleve had jumped into a stream he’d clearly not been watching, made incorrect assumptions and just… was a complete ass. Tom was really enjoying the game, too. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, not shitting on it at all, even with the bugs he was running into. He was praising the hell out of it, really. He’s really into this game genre, and so far he was really into it.

Here’s a link to the time index of the video8
. Watch the chat on the left. Cleve is “texasarcane.” Also, when Tom removes the chat from the screen, watch the chat replay on the right to see the rest of Cleve’s comments (and Tom’s last response to him). Tom didn’t know it was actually Cleve at the time, and talks about it at the beginning of his next stream of the game. He’s kind of upset by it, justifiably so. You can see that here.3 It kind of ruined his attitude toward the game and Cleve as well. Which is unfortunate, because before that he wasn’t shitting on the game AT ALL, even when it might’ve deserved it. But now he kind of does. Oh well.

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant
I must say that I'm really impressed with the attitude of the majority of the Codex with Grimoire.

Granted, I'm a newfag and I never watched closely a user releasing some game over here (if it ever happened), but what is making me happy is how people are reacting to the game.

The rule in the internet is that: Broken/buggy release = Doomed title that you get shit for the rest of its life. WIth the case of Grimoire, I'm not only witnessing the patience of users towards some bugs (including the one that breaks the save files) but also willing to help Cleve, making a community manual, asking for people to send broken saves to try to fix etc.

Again, I'm a newfag here, but this sense of community is one that I rarely seen on the internet.

Congratulations to everyone involved in this. :salute:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Cleve, meet Twitch streamers (assuming this was Cleve, but seems in character)

Kyosho
15m

On the actual subject of this thread: I’ve avoided Cleve and his weirdness/insanity for years because I am legitimately interested in Grimoire itself. I know he’s an asshole, but I’ve distanced myself from it because I don’t care. It’s like people who suddenly hated Ender’s Game after they found out about Orson Scott Card’s political views. To me, that’s kind of silly. but I suppose I get it. For me though, I’m more interested in the work itself. Hitler made some beautiful paintings. Sure, he was basically the worst human being to ever exist, but he had some real skill. Heh. I can separate the artist from the art. Maybe I’m weird.

However, I was unable to ignore Cleve when he showed up in the chat of one of my favorite streamers and basically called him a bi-polar idiot who couldn’t pay attention. Which wasn’t at all true, and the stuff Cleve was trying to get him to do, Tom had already done and was trying to find something else entirely. Cleve had jumped into a stream he’d clearly not been watching, made incorrect assumptions and just… was a complete ass. Tom was really enjoying the game, too. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, not shitting on it at all, even with the bugs he was running into. He was praising the hell out of it, really. He’s really into this game genre, and so far he was really into it.

Here’s a link to the time index of the video8
. Watch the chat on the left. Cleve is “texasarcane.” Also, when Tom removes the chat from the screen, watch the chat replay on the right to see the rest of Cleve’s comments (and Tom’s last response to him). Tom didn’t know it was actually Cleve at the time, and talks about it at the beginning of his next stream of the game. He’s kind of upset by it, justifiably so. You can see that here.3 It kind of ruined his attitude toward the game and Cleve as well. Which is unfortunate, because before that he wasn’t shitting on the game AT ALL, even when it might’ve deserved it. But now he kind of does. Oh well.

wtf? they decided its Cleve just because, according to them, Cleve is mean and Hitler, and the guy acted mean so this means that he is him.

Hope all this retardation helps the sales.

Weasel
wtf? they decided its Cleve just because, according to them, Cleve is mean and Hitler, and the guy acted mean so this means that he is him.

Not sure actually, streamer thinks so but I guess it could be someone trolling with the texasarcane name. Anyway, publicity train rolls on.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Not sure actually, streamer thinks so but I guess it could be someone trolling with the texasarcane name. Anyway, publicity train rolls on.

Anyway he just said "focus on the game, this is not for bipolar kids"
then a mod "anna_maniac" (oh the irony) "ahhhhh its cleveeeeeeeeeee"
twitcher obviously got butthurt and stopped the stream for his daiy lithium dose.
Basically nothing happened.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I must say that I'm really impressed with the attitude of the majority of the Codex with Grimoire.

Granted, I'm a newfag and I never watched closely a user releasing some game over here (if it ever happened), but what is making me happy is how people are reacting to the game.

The rule in the internet is that: Broken/buggy release = Doomed title that you get shit for the rest of its life. WIth the case of Grimoire, I'm not only witnessing the patience of users towards some bugs (including the one that breaks the save files) but also willing to help Cleve, making a community manual, asking for people to send broken saves to try to fix etc.

Again, I'm a newfag here, but this sense of community is one that I rarely seen on the internet.

Congratulations to everyone involved in this. :salute:

Codex seems to be a bunch of savages sometimes but almost everyone here truly loves RPGs their own way, and care for them, knowing it's an endangered niche. The positive reaction to Grimoire is not surprising, considering after 8 hours in I can already say the game is amazing. If it had been shit, we'd continue bashing Cleve and memeing. On the other hand, the other forums discussing grimoire (including Steam discussions) are often regarded as "nicer" people, but they don't care about RPGs at all, and are just bitching about politics, racism, high price, shitty UI, graphics, etc. They can't see the forest, only the trees.

A600

Educated
The "accelerators" are a terrible addition. Best would have been to use page up/page down, or shift + click on inventory left and right, rather than remove 2 slots.

Cleve doesn't like to use keyboard when he plays games, apparently.

Or even better: since the right click is unused (AFAIK) for the inventory arrows, use that. Plain and simple.

Bocian

Arcane
Clueless Curation
"Grimoire is the perfect RPG for people who like being talked down to by a racist lunatic who believes neanderthals created a secret utopian civilization and took 20 years to make a mediocre game."

ico_curator_dn.png
Not Recommended 6 August

This motherfucker is seriously clueless.

I was agreeing with him until the mediocre bit.

Got an idea to check out this curator's admin profile. I knew what I'm going to find out.
Over 1k hours in Fallout 4, 600+ in Skyrim.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zaayl/games/?tab=all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom