Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Fry

Arcane
We know it's not Paradox. Who's Beth's biggest competitor? EA? idk

EDIT: Hell I know! It's the Russians!! Gotta be them, Obsidian worked on Skyforge, Armored Warfare... both are Russian titles.

It's always the Russians Swedes Russians?

latest

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
lengthy (nearly two hours long) analysis of Kreia and Star Wars

:autismspeaks.gif:

My inner autistic self forced me to watch the entire thing. It had some good points about dialectical moralities, Nietzschean influence of Kreia and errors which MCA saw in the Star Wars universe. It's actually a well-presented video and doesn't bore people with unnecessary rambling.

Last edited:

TC Jr

Scholar
What's the general consensus on Kotor 2 btw? I only played it recently and it's good for star wars fans but fuck me the gameplay was lacking, combat was ridiculously broken

TC Jr

Scholar
Combat is serviceable, but the game design is the actual issue. Most of the time you are just fighting hoards of trash mobs.
I'm ok with trash mobs but i don't think it done the combat any favours, I'm pretty sure I used master flurry + force lighting for the most part.
Kreia was a great character, especially at the start, but near the endgame there were some speech options I wish I could have chose but they weren't there. I also skipped kotor1 so the story was a bit messy at some points although that's my fault.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian continues to expand its self-publishing capacity: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/973-media-artist

And more: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/production/985-project-manager-marketing

Marketing Project Manager

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a detail-oriented, process-driven, and highly organized project manager to oversee and administrate marketing efforts across our gaming brands.

Over the course of our 14 years in the industry, Obsidian has sold millions of units, won a ton of awards, and – above all – we've always put our players first in every decision we've made. We want more gamers to know and experience the games we love to make – and that's where marketing comes in. The marketing team helps gamers the world over experience Obsidian's beloved brands in a meaningful and resonant way.

The project manager will oversee internal marketing initiatives, interfacing with all of marketing, game development teams, publisher partners, and third-party vendors to ensure every activity is organized intelligently and executed smoothly, while ensuring communication is open and productive. The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of video game marketing, as well as the ability to communicate with both technical and creative personnel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/audio/988-senior-sound-designer

Senior Sound Designer

Obsidian is looking for a creative and technical sound designer with the capability to design and implement assets, manage entire projects, and/or specialize in key audio systems.

Over the course of our 14 years in the industry, Obsidian has sold millions of units, won a ton of awards, and – above all – we've always put our players first in every decision we've made. Our titles require a unique audio landscape, and that's where you come in. The Senior Sound Designer will work closely with the audio and development teams to plan, design, and integrate high quality, engaging sound effects from the conceptual stage all the way through to polished engine integration.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More steps to strengthen PR/community management: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93244-dreaming-dreams-an-invitation

Dreaming Dreams: An Invitation

Dear denizens, trolls, long-timers and new-timers,

To say that the history of the community has been filled with joys and challenges, losses and discoveries, perhaps goes without saying. We, nonetheless, never want to take you all for granted. Whether it has been games for which we have designed for other publishers or our own titles, such as contained within the World of Eternity, you - our community of supporters and fans, beta testers and creative companions – have, do and shall help us continue to make great gaming experiences: of this we have no doubt!

As we begin to anticipate the milestone launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire in 2018, we are beginning to dream dreams. One of those is an integrated online hub that brings together the fragmented nature of our social media presence. W are dreaming of an interface that brings together the following OBS' presence into a coherent ecosystem:
As we embark on this new phase, we invite you to share with us your thoughts and insights of what you have experienced as prime examples of well-integrated online communities – especially those that reflect multiple entry and access points throughout social media. What could we add to this dreaming that would make such an experience not just okay or good, but great!

We are not sure we can include all of our dreams initially, need alone those which we know you will offer. We are certain, however, as we have learned with your - our community of supporters and advocates - that taking these steps together not only helps OBS continue to make great gaming experiences, but explicitly reflects that you help us be who we are! For that we have been, are and shall be ever so grateful!

So, please do post your thoughts and ideas below. Post links – share concept ideas! Contact us through Facebook, Twitter, or PM Fionavar. We hope to launch a new online ecosystem to coincide with the launch of Deadfire in 2018 and with your support and engagement, we know it will be awesome!

Want to see what others are thinking and saying? Checkout the conversation here in the community!

And people suggesting Obsidian's own storefront and client? :eek:

Sentinel

Arcane
Hope they aren't retarded enough to have their own store/client that is mandatory to launch all their games. They'll go into the "never buy from" list together with EA and Ubisoft if that is the case.

Fry

Arcane
I don't see how it would be cost effective for them to do that any time soon. The infrastructure and support staff would be very expensive.

More likely they'll try to establish a publishing arm long before they consider dumping Steam and GOG.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More steps to strengthen PR/community management: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93244-dreaming-dreams-an-invitation

Dreaming Dreams: An Invitation

Dear denizens, trolls, long-timers and new-timers,

To say that the history of the community has been filled with joys and challenges, losses and discoveries, perhaps goes without saying. We, nonetheless, never want to take you all for granted. Whether it has been games for which we have designed for other publishers or our own titles, such as contained within the World of Eternity, you - our community of supporters and fans, beta testers and creative companions – have, do and shall help us continue to make great gaming experiences: of this we have no doubt!

As we begin to anticipate the milestone launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire in 2018, we are beginning to dream dreams. One of those is an integrated online hub that brings together the fragmented nature of our social media presence. W are dreaming of an interface that brings together the following OBS' presence into a coherent ecosystem:
As we embark on this new phase, we invite you to share with us your thoughts and insights of what you have experienced as prime examples of well-integrated online communities – especially those that reflect multiple entry and access points throughout social media. What could we add to this dreaming that would make such an experience not just okay or good, but great!

We are not sure we can include all of our dreams initially, need alone those which we know you will offer. We are certain, however, as we have learned with your - our community of supporters and advocates - that taking these steps together not only helps OBS continue to make great gaming experiences, but explicitly reflects that you help us be who we are! For that we have been, are and shall be ever so grateful!

So, please do post your thoughts and ideas below. Post links – share concept ideas! Contact us through Facebook, Twitter, or PM Fionavar. We hope to launch a new online ecosystem to coincide with the launch of Deadfire in 2018 and with your support and engagement, we know it will be awesome!

Want to see what others are thinking and saying? Checkout the conversation here in the community!

And people suggesting Obsidian's own storefront and client? :eek:
I suggested it as a joke. Will I be responsible for their undoing?
:negative::philosoraptor:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A client seems far fetched for Obsidian, but little none-mandatory storefront and account integration across games are pretty plausible.

(It reminds me that Paradox launched their own launcher with Stellaris, though it's pretty low-profile at the moment. Also reminds me that Tyranny had rewards with Paradox account. Wouldn't be surprised if Tyranny get updated with Paradox launcher integration.)

Rev

Arcane
I don't think they can start a new dd platform, it takes a lot of effort and money and Steam, GOG and the other stores are pretty well established right now. Even EA that has a lot of money to invest couldn't get a huge share of the market, Obsidian has no hope to accomplish anything right now.

On a side note, LESS T_T you do an outstanding job as a news provider, why don't you accept Infinitron's jew gold and start putting your news digging abilities officially at the service of Codexia?
:takemyjewgold:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but it seems Robert Lee (worked there since 2008) left Obsidian last month and is starting an indie company. Looks like he was working on the unannounced UE4 game: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robertolee/

So I guess with that Obsidian lost yet another New Vegas/Alpha Protocol designer.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but it seems Robert Lee (worked there since 2008) left Obsidian last month and is starting an indie company. Looks like he was working on the unannounced UE4 game: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robertolee/

So I guess with that Obsidian lost yet another New Vegas/Alpha Protocol designer.

On the one hand, his 08-12 stint at Obsidian (Alpha Protocol, Fallout:NV, South Park) was a lot more impressive than his 14-17 stint (Skyforge, Armored Warfare, UE4 project). On the other hand, losing a senior designer from the UE4 project seems like it could be problematic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamer.com/one-for-my-baby-a-look-back-at-fallout-new-vegass-best-quest/

One For My Baby: A look back At Fallout: New Vegas's best quest
How one quest captures the heart of Fallout: New Vegas.

If Fallout 3 welcomes you into the post-apocalypse with open arms, Fallout: New Vegas is its sarcastic, passive-aggressive cousin. Everyone in the game has an angle, and the only thing standing in the way of the house winning is your growing series of dubious decisions. This spirit of hard-edged humor and escalating choice is perfectly encapsulated by a single quest.

The setup

A former NCR sniper, Boone is a man isolated both literally and figuratively. Every night, he walks up a set of narrow red steps leading to the giant dinosaur’s mouth. Guarding Novac against this somewhat goofy backdrop, he spends his vigil watching the wasteland through Dinky’s faded white teeth—all the while wondering which of his estranged neighbors sold his wife Clara into slavery while he was on patrol.

During the quest One For My Baby, he confides in you—a stranger—and gives you his treasured 1st Recon beret, then provides you with a simple task. Once you find the person responsible for Clara’s kidnapping, lure them in front of Dinky, and put on Boone’s beret. He would take care of the rest.

Making it happen

According to One For My Baby’s writer, Eric Fenstermaker, this quest was part of the original proof-of-concept for Fallout: New Vegas shown to Bethesda. It’s such a great, self-contained tone piece because, alongside ghoul-focused ques Come Fly With Me, it was originally meant to demonstrate all that Fallout: New Vegas would eventually become. Allowing the death of every major character in the game meant players could “get any major character in the town shot by Boone, for any reason you could concoct in your own mind,” said Fenstermaker.

Accusing easygoing gift shop owner Cliff Briscoe, luring local crackpot No-Bark Noonan, or murdering Boone’s former BFF Manny Vargas is as easy as picking a dialogue option and putting on a beret. You can feel that power, and it makes taking the easy way out of the quest an extremely conscious act of callousness.

However, investigating Novac thoroughly will eventually reveal a bill of sale identifying Jeannie May Crawford, town matriarch, as the culprit. “The Bill of Sale was itself an interesting document,” Fenstermaker told me. “The language of the contract was based on real slavery contracts in the pre-Civil War era. And if players take the time to read it they'll get a piece of information they won't find anywhere else in the game, which is that Boone's wife was pregnant when she was sold.”

This is a melodramatic touch. Fenstermaker says as much. However, he also argues that, “in a totally wild west environment, not only is it a plausible situation, but it's also important to the stakes of the overall game story and to the player's investment in the world to show that extremes of inhumanity and desperation are commonplace here.”

“A lot of the power of the Fallout setting comes from the juxtaposition of those elements with a 1950s culture that was purposefully engineered to promote a carefree naivete that would keep people from considering the unthinkable,” Fenstermaker said. “The farther the reality gets from the '50s dream-version of it, the more powerful the impression it creates.”

On choosing Jennie May as the culprit, Fenstermaker stated that “for the quest, figuring out who the culprit should be was a matter of asking, for each townsperson in this ostensibly decent town, what would it take for them to sell a human being—a particular human being—into slavery.” Jeannie May fit this role perfectly, because she allowed Eric to create a villain with a new, disturbing motivation: casual pettiness.

“I liked the idea of using a character who at a surface level was friendly and polite but who just beneath was proud and insecure,” said Fenstermaker. “The kind of person who in any other world would handle a detractor with a passive-aggressive anonymous letter or by spitting in her soup, but in a place where you could get away with it, might just sell that detractor to slavers.”

Fallout: New Vegas lures you into a false sense of security with an area starring relaxed, seemingly simple characters. When you’re waiting around a cattle pen to catch a minigun-wielding Nightkin driven mad by the cries of Brahmin in his dreams, it’s easy to believe you have a reasonable idea of what to expect from Novac. This makes unveiling Boone’s tragic story, and the mundane evil lurking beneath Novac’s quiet surface, that much more jarring.

One For My Baby is a quest where the little details build, one upon another, until someone ends up dead. Who that person may be is up to you.

Latelistener

Arcane
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/06/us/california-town-bought-by-cannabis-company-trnd/index.html

Marijuana company buys California town, plans pot paradise
The company plans to make Nipton the country's "first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination," American Green said in a statement.

Visitors will find mineral baths, lodging, marijuana retail outlets and "a first-of-its-kind eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.

This should help Obsidian in making their games better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom