Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
In the character creation screen, what actually determines whether you get that "assign all points to hit points, attributes, or skill" option or not? It seems random? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't? Does it somehow depend on the roll bonus or your character class?

And is it a bug that sometimes your character doesn't start out with basic weapons?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, just remember that north is always pointing up. People are too used to smartphones so they need google maps all the time even when playing games.

I don't even use my phone for driving and I'm not quite certain what you mean about north always pointing up considering Grimoire has no compass. It's a brain problem I've always had even as a child. I only managed to tolerate World of Xeen as long as I did because it has an always-present map with a pointer representing your party so I could just focus on that.

I tried again and turned the turning/moving animation completely off and it helped a bit. Then I got stuck in the tutorial dungeon and drowned in water. :( Apparently there's a switch to be found and pressed, but I searched on every tile and didn't find anything.

jfunk

Augur
No, just remember that north is always pointing up. People are too used to smartphones so they need google maps all the time even when playing games.

I don't even use my phone for driving and I'm not quite certain what you mean about north always pointing up considering Grimoire has no compass. It's a brain problem I've always had even as a child. I only managed to tolerate World of Xeen as long as I did because it has an always-present map with a pointer representing your party so I could just focus on that.

I tried again and turned the turning/moving animation completely off and it helped a bit. Then I got stuck in the tutorial dungeon and drowned in water. :( Apparently there's a switch to be found and pressed, but I searched on every tile and didn't find anything.

If you cast the Direction spell it will put a compass on your screen if that would help.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The old dumapic always to orient the lost souls, now I remember that even the first Bard's tale had a compass spell

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you cast the Direction spell it will put a compass on your screen if that would help.

Much obliged since this also led me to the detect secrets spell which helped with my other problem. I'm getting there.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This timeline man

>trump becomes president
>grimoire was not in fact a hoax and is a real, and actually pretty incline heavy game

Brace yourself, we have not even begun in earnest.

The ride is only starting.

Incline%20Railway%2016.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

?WOMYNZ?
*clicks ASSAY*
Womynz

:smug:

It's okay Roguey we still love you :love:

Virtue signaling and thoughtcrime policing are par for the course now, pretty much everywhere. The fact that Grimoire exists and that Cleve does not back down and shill to sell more copies is one of the few truly uplifting things in popular media that I can think of lately.

Let these butthurt snowflakes cry their fucking asses off. They wouldn't last 2 hours in the game anyway. I'm actually so glad someone has the balls to say "this isn't for everyone and that's fine, go away".

Arulan

Cipher
I won't get into the politics, but this is the reason why I fully agree with Valve's approach with Steam. There shouldn't be any entity deciding what games are good enough to be sold. Let the customers decide what they're willing to buy, and through content discovery tools, the customer shouldn't (or rarely) even come across the garbage.

GOG is a fantastic storefront, and unlike other competitors to Steam provides real value to their customers, instead of artificial exclusivity or forced clients, but at some point I'd like to see them change their policy on curation.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Has anyone, for example, done the fight with Hobknob without cheesing sleep?

He puts up magic screen before you can do anything, all the nukes bounce back or backfire. And if you don't keep him asleep, he can heal himself and and kill 1-2 chars before your even get your turn to act.

Hobknob should have put more into mesmerizing defence, like some other monsters that resist sleep.

Just because sleep was weaker in Wizardry doesn't mean it has to be in Grimoire. Though it may still be a bit overpowered, especially with a high Music skill.

Repressed Homosexual
Is there still an interview planned with J_C... I mean with Matt Barton? Someone should ask Matt on Twitter

Matt is pretty much the only trustworthy person in the gaming media, at this rate. He gives everyone a fair shake and judges them on their merits.

pippin

There shouldn't be any entity deciding what games are good enough to be sold.

To be fair it's not only that. There has been a constant tug of war between gog and devs/publishers due to gog's business model. I can't deny there has been some weird decisions by gog in the past, but for many devs it really hurts to not have something that makes you be always online, or at least some kind of digital authentication, and it's not only AAA, many times small indies don't trust gog.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think Cleve wants to get those bugs smashed, get the keys out, and get the manual done before he thinks about this. Hopefully he gets some sleep somewhere along the line as well. Even a Neaderthal Colossus needs some recovery time.

youhomofo

Augur
Blakemore won't do an interview. No chance in hell. Not on camera, anyway.

Cleve died 20 years ago. Cooper assumed his identity and now he's raking in the mad bucks.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why even have a "random encounters pop up on every square" setting?
So you can grind when you want and also backtracking without feel like a bore. Good thing.

I'm finding that with random encounters turned off, the balancing is just right to progress by recruiting NPC's. Never liked grinding too much, or being interrupted in sleep.

By Level 4 or 5, the difference between Little Rosy and original spellcasters evens out, though she still has a much bigger mana pool. Actually Feyfolk spellcasters are OP because of the quick recharging of the mana. Humans and others take forever in comparison.

The fact that Grimoire exists and that Cleve does not back down and shill to sell more copies is one of the few truly uplifting things in popular media that I can think of lately.

Grimwah is pop media?

Wait... wut??
Games are popular media. Grimoire is very niche product, sure, but a developer that recognizes that and doesn't try to cater to the lowest common denominator to increase baseline revenue by a tiny margin is incline to me - it fits very definition of 'uncompromising'. Isn't it to you?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In the character creation screen, what actually determines whether you get that "assign all points to hit points, attributes, or skill" option or not? It seems random? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't? Does it somehow depend on the roll bonus or your character class?

Assigning extra points happens only if you have any points left after the race stats are adjusted to the class minimum requirements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom