Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Sykar

Arcane
Do you still get a bonus attribute point every 4 levels and a feat ever 3 levels and one at level 1?

Mystary!

Arcane
But the race aspect only matters if you use point buy or standard array. If you roll you have much more diversity without sacrificing optimization.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is 5ed better than Pathfinder? Seems quite decent as far as I can tell...

I'm only speaking as somebody that has played 5e but not Pathfinder (though I have some of the PF books so am slightly familiar with it) but my personal opinion is that 5e is good, whereas Pathfinder seems like a bit of a bloated mess to me. Also I personally like the aesthetic of 5e better than the somewhat derpy semi-weaboo aesthetic of PF.

J1M

Arcane
Pathfinder is only considered good by those who needed somewhere to channel their anger about 4e and those who like to repeat other people's opinions.

Bloated mess is precisely what it is.

Lhynn

Arcane
5e isnt perfect, biggest problems are ranged dominance and a weak monster manual. Getting rid of feats helps with the first problem, making your own monsters helps with the second problem.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
5e isnt perfect, biggest problems are ranged dominance and a weak monster manual. Getting rid of feats helps with the first problem, making your own monsters helps with the second problem.
But doesn't the removal of feats limit character options too much?
I plan to GM a birthright 5E campaign after the holidays and I am not sure about whether I should play with feats or not.

Lhynn

Arcane
But doesn't the removal of feats limit character options too much?
I plan to GM a birthright 5E campaign after the holidays and I am not sure about whether I should play with feats or not.
I wouldnt worry too much about it, i doubt your players will make a full ranged party with the exact combination of feats.
Go with feats if you want the customization and have fun.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I don't know if it's been discussed in the thread. but, there is (are) supplement (s) from the 5th edition that's worth buying? Something that really gives what the core books can't give. I heard a lot about the "volo's monsters whatever" but I want to hear your opinions bros!

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The core books are almost perfect already in terms of mechanics (could have more feats and more skill detailing, I guess).
SCAG is an setting detailing book.
The first adventures with the dragon stuff, the elemental temples stuff and underground stuff are decent, but not amazing. Too overblown and "epic" imo. I'm not into that, so your mileage may vary.

Magellan

Augur
I don't know if it's been discussed in the thread. but, there is (are) supplement (s) from the 5th edition that's worth buying? Something that really gives what the core books can't give. I heard a lot about the "volo's monsters whatever" but I want to hear your opinions bros!

I think Volo's Guide to Everything is pretty good. Also, the (FREE PDF) Elemental Evil Player's Companion is small but has some good stuff.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I think Volo's Guide to Everything is pretty good. Also, the (FREE PDF) Elemental Evil Player's Companion is small but has some good stuff.
There's no Volo's Guide to Everything...

Volo's guide to Monsters however is a pretty good book. New PC races, new monsters and detailed writeups of classic monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers which gives a lot of ideas on how to use these creatures in a game.

If you just want more monsters to throw at the players, then 3rd party books like 5th Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts are great.

Magellan

Augur

There's no Volo's Guide to Everything...

Volo's guide to Monsters however is a pretty good book. New PC races, new monsters and detailed writeups of classic monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers which gives a lot of ideas on how to use these creatures in a game.

If you just want more monsters to throw at the players, then 3rd party books like 5th Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts are great.

Thanks for the fix! I think I was conflating Volo's Guide to Monsters with the upcoming Xanathar's Guide to Everything. :)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There's also Volo's guide to the Sword Coast which has a few pages with nice character options but is mostly filled with Forgotten Realms bullshit that so sane person wants to read. Don't buy, get a pirate pdf and print the few worthwhile pages.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just a tip: there aren't many good 2e adventures worth converting to 5e. TSR wasn't that good and some of the adventures will seem like a major waste. Remember that many old DnD modules used the gold - xp system.

It's not really an heir to 2e. It's a 3.5-ified 4e. I mean one of the new fighter archetypes is LITERALLY a 4e fighter(glom to enemies and punish them for doing anything that isnt attacking you with a disadvantage)
That is a good point, but given that I want to GM in the Birthright setting, I'm stuck with 2E material.

deuxhero

Arcane
What 2E modules were there? Only one I can recall is FROA1/Ninja Wars

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom