Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Sodium

Literate
anyone knows where or how to use the stepping stones ?
i tried using them on the bridge but no luck...

lorn

Educated
I think I'm missing something in Cenotaph vault. I got the goblet, the tome of the spider and the ankh. But none of the itemsdo anything at the altar of hobknob and the door opposing the stone head is still closed. What am I missing?

Also, is it safe to give the tome to Gorlo or can I do something else with it?

Sodium

Literate
I think I'm missing something in Cenotaph vault. I got the goblet, the tome of the spider and the ankh. But none of the itemsdo anything at the altar of hobknob and the door opposing the stone head is still closed. What am I missing?

Also, is it safe to give the tome to Gorlo or can I do something else with it?

you missed a vase/urn with a dead rat ( use the rat and the ankh on the altar ).

i found no reason to keep the book and gave it to gorlo.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You need an "offering" for the altar. You can find it in another dungeon.

For all of those, who like me failed to find the missing Vanguard expedition, they are indeed in

Hobknob's lar, one of the skeleton piles. Teaches ya to always keep detect secret on...

bataille

Arcane
Apparently, attacks from stealth deal triple damage (only with daggers?). And attacking doesn't seem to break hiding! Who would've thought, my thief is going places.

lorn

Educated
You need an "offering" for the altar. You can find it in another dungeon.

Thanks, I placed the "offering".
the dead rat, I assume
But nothing happened. The altar just says it's on there and that's it. The mouse laso truns into a hand near the bottom of the game window, but nothing happens when i click there either.

nevermind figured it out. Though mostly trial and error, no clue, where the logic is using that particular item there.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
mondblut What is the key I got from Mistral's body used for? It doesn't open the St. George's tomb's gate and I can't go down on Black licht dungeons thanks to darkness.

Uh uh? It does work. That key (from the ghost?) gets you to 'ol George's bones.
Wich key from the ghost ? I've finished spirit caves at 100% and i have no special key in my inventory....Cannot open st george gate either.

Viata

Arcane
mondblut What is the key I got from Mistral's body used for? It doesn't open the St. George's tomb's gate and I can't go down on Black licht dungeons thanks to darkness.

Wich key from the ghost ? I've finished spirit caves at 100% and i have no special key in my inventory....Cannot open st george gate either.
Defeat the Lich. There is a skeleton there, it's mistral's. Bring it back to catacombs, place him in the secret room, his soul gives you the key.

Vagiel

Augur
There are just two chests and a ?TOXIC? fountain behind the ?GHOST? and ?APPARITION? encounters.
There is also an ivory schachel on a pile of bones and you can actually store scrols inside and it might be a quest item.

By the way what is the slot next to the inventory for? You can put items there and sometimes they dissappear.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mortmal

Arcane

Defeat the Lich. There is a skeleton there, it's mistral's. Bring it back to catacombs, place him in the secret room, his soul gives you the key.
You are speaking aobut the catacombs in crusade temple ? i cant get a key for that either.

bataille

Arcane
There are just two chests and a ?TOXIC? fountain behind the ?GHOST? and ?APPARITION? encounters.
There is also an ivory schachel on a pile of bones and you can actually store scrols inside and it might be a quest item.

By the way what is the slot next to the inventory for? You can put items there and sometimes they dissappear.

Oh, yeah, the scroll case. Pretty useful to store non-combat/extra scrolls there (you can't access it in-battle, I think).

The slot is 'floor'. You can drop items by dragging them there.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For beginner tips yeah some other users have mentioned Bards as must haves and yeah they are pretty useful early on, making a Fairie Bard makes them virtually unhittable
I would recommend a Vampyr Necromancer too; you get them on a 24 roll and their poison spells is by far one of the vital spells for the start of the game plus getting them early allows you to develop them properly and dont worry much about the sunlight penalty since most of the dungeons take place in crypts and caves
Berserkers are pretty good too since you start with almost no armor and they get some good boosts to health and defense
For starter races the dragons and eyeball guys are awesome too for their breath and gaze abilities plus the lizardmen also have good natural armor

mondblut

Arcane

The key is for a grate within the tomb. The entrance to the tomb, I always picked the lock.

What darkness? Once you enter the cenotaph, the rest is pretty straightforward (in a way).

Lord Andre

Arcane

Oh, yeah, the scroll case. Pretty useful to store non-combat/extra scrolls there (you can't access it in-battle, I think).

The slot is 'floor'. You can drop items by dragging them there.

As far as I've tested, items left on a square remain there forever so you can go back and get them at any time. Useful for making caches etc.

mondblut

Arcane
I've picked locks by mere trial and error, but is there a logic behind the lockpicking minigame?
Yes - Doors - you've probably figured out they are riddles, each column contains one letter from the answer, and your green stars at the bottom give you the number of incorrect guesses you have until something bad happens.

Another useful tip - correct letters are never next to each other. If you got a letter right and it is, say, in center row, next and previous letters are either in top or bottom rows, never in center.

Viata

Arcane

You are speaking aobut the catacombs in crusade temple ? i cant get a key for that either.
Gorlo has the key. Best way to get it from him is by charm and then ask for the key. You can kill him or rob him too.

Viata

Arcane

The key is for a grate within the tomb. The entrance to the tomb, I always picked the lock.

What darkness? Once you enter the cenotaph, the rest is pretty straightforward (in a way).
Way deep into the dungeon. Past the Ukrul part, you see some eyes all over the screen during that part. And yeah, picked the lock too.

bataille

Arcane

Gorlo has it.
How do you get it ? typing key does not provide it, nor typing catacombs, and theres nothing in his trade inventory. Thanks

Gorlo asks you to bring back the tome of the spider in return for the key (if I remember it right), you have to agree on this condition by typing 'yes'.

mondblut

Arcane
Is there some way to combine stacks of potions and such?
Combine them in the item workshop.
I've tried that, but the merge items is always greyed out. Is there some skill required for this?

Potions don't merge, they are one item with multiple uses. Same with wands etc.

Ammo and throwing items can be merged by simply clicking with one pile upon another. Same with vending tokens, probably some other small items.

Mortmal

Arcane

Gorlo has the key. Best way to get it from him is by charm and then ask for the key. You can kill him or rob him too.
Ok thanks that was not clear at all, could have looked for ages. I frown upon killing quest npcs, you never know if it wont break something later in the story.

mondblut

Arcane

Way deep into the dungeon. Past the Ukrul part, you see some eyes all over the screen during that part. And yeah, picked the lock too.

Deep sink project? You'll have to endure darkness, it's important place.

Mortmal

Arcane

Gorlo has it.
How do you get it ? typing key does not provide it, nor typing catacombs, and theres nothing in his trade inventory. Thanks

Gorlo asks you to bring back the tome of the spider in return for the key (if I remember it right), you have to agree on this condition by typing 'yes'.
Ah if i ask him about job he speak about the tome of the spider in black lich cenotaph, however to enter that i need a hand, most likely hand remain found in catacombs.. So to fullfill his quest i need its reward first ? Neanderthalian quest design is beyond me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom