Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
$40?

The game has been released for years. :?
It's a 70 hours JRPG freshly ported to PC.

If you don't want to spend 40$ get the Vita/PS3 version for cheap?

Atleast in Finland ToCS is still 40€ even for the PS3 :negative:

Not that I care that much anymore, the PC version was D1P for me since it was announced.

Deleted member 7219

So is Nightmare as the menu says? Intended only for NG+? I started on hard and at least the prologue felt pretty easy.

Also where are my funny treasure chest messages :cry:

It gets harder. I wouldn't recommend a high difficulty on your first playthrough unless you like long battles.

I've started my PC playthrough on hard but that's because I know the best builds for each character.

I'd recommend hard for your first playthrough and nightmare for every NG+ after that. Somberlain is :obviously: and disagrees but I think nightmare will be too much for someone unfamiliar with the mechanics.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
THIS OR GRIMOIRE?
HARD CHOICE
the one that actually exist duh

So is Nightmare as the menu says? Intended only for NG+? I started on hard and at least the prologue felt pretty easy.

Also where are my funny treasure chest messages :cry:

It gets harder. I wouldn't recommend a high difficulty on your first playthrough unless you like long battles.

I've started my PC playthrough on hard but that's because I know the best builds for each character.

I'd recommend hard for your first playthrough and nightmare for every NG+ after that. Somberlain is :obviously: and disagrees but I think nightmare will be too much for someone unfamiliar with the mechanics.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with hard.

Deleted member 7219

How is the gameplay in Trails of Cold Steel? Is it vastly different from other titles of Legend of Heroes?

Battles are very similar except in third person perspective. You still have manual attacks, arts, crafts and s-crafts. New mechanic is the link mechanic which lets you link characters together to perform special attacks under the right conditions.

You still assign gear and orbments to characters, not much change there. Main gameplay is still based on main quests and optional (often hidden) sidequests. You can cook, fish and fill up a monster journal. You can also fill in character entries for all the other students at the school, so you need to keep talking to people all the time. The link mechanic is also based on your link exp with certain characters, so the more time you spend with a person, the better your link level becomes and the more things you can unlock with them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so does rean gets better? he is pretty boring so far. i just investigated the old schoolhouse, that quest given by the principal. unlike estelle, joshua and kevin he don't have much hook of a character.

Deleted member 7219

so does rean gets better? he is pretty boring so far. i just investigated the old schoolhouse, that quest given by the principal. unlike estelle, joshua and kevin he don't have much hook of a character.

Yes - particularly in CS 2.

Malpercio

Arcane
No, and what's worse is that the plot/characters all start to revolve around him.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh man i am loving this game. I think the characters are better in tits, but combat is better here, i like the link system.

I dislike how orbments work this time around tho. We get the magic arts itself as a quartz instead of combinations that rske you magics. It feels more restricting than tits.

The best thing about steel is worldbuilding. It is because erebonia is a much much more interesting than liberl. It portrays at quite believable social conflict in a a feudal like society entering post industrial era.

I just finished chapter 2 and it got me soo hooked in the politicsm

Peolple are losing trust in the nobles, the wealth gap and status gap between nobles and commoners are closing because new opportunities arise from new technological advancement, while the nobles are desperate holding on to the status quo which undoubtedly benefit their kind.

The rise of many factions vying for power and ouroboros riding on the natural progression of a society from traditional to modern views, it is all really well done and believable, almost too realistic in a game with swordbeams, cute girls in short skirts school uniform, mechs, and skimpy dressed teachers and children that can summon meteor from their cellphones.

Trails delivers again. Also misty the abend time host is the cutest girl so far

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I also like the TiTS elemental value system more than spells tied directly to quartz, but Cold Steel games have the master quartz system and more special quartz with unique effects so it evens out.

Deleted member 7219

Oh man i am loving this game. I think the characters are better in tits, but combat is better here, i like the link system.

I dislike how orbments work this time around tho. We get the magic arts itself as a quartz instead of combinations that rske you magics. It feels more restricting than tits.

The best thing about steel is worldbuilding. It is because erebonia is a much much more interesting than liberl. It portrays at quite believable social conflict in a a feudal like society entering post industrial era.

I just finished chapter 2 and it got me soo hooked in the politicsm

Peolple are losing trust in the nobles, the wealth gap and status gap between nobles and commoners are closing because new opportunities arise from new technological advancement, while the nobles are desperate holding on to the status quo which undoubtedly benefit their kind.

The rise of many factions vying for power and ouroboros riding on the natural progression of a society from traditional to modern views, it is all really well done and believable, almost too realistic in a game with swordbeams, cute girls in short skirts school uniform, mechs, and skimpy dressed teachers and children that can summon meteor from their cellphones.

Trails delivers again. Also misty the abend time host is the cutest girl so far

It's a fucking amazing game - I am still loving it second time around, this time on PC. Cold Steel 1 and 2 are already in my top 10 RPGs of all time.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
oh anton and ricky is here! are they in every trails game? i hope because they are absolutely hilarious
Can't recall if they're in CS2, but they make frequent appearances apparently(I know Anton is in Tits 2)

And I just finished chapter 3 not too long ago, and i can attest that turbo mode does help out with the pacing in it.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Rean can be such a goober at times...

20170806213532_1.jpg

20170806213535_1.jpg

Deleted member 7219

oh anton and ricky is here! are they in every trails game? i hope because they are absolutely hilarious
Can't recall if they're in CS2, but they make frequent appearances apparently(I know Anton is in Tits 2)

And I just finished chapter 3 not too long ago, and i can attest that turbo mode does help out with the pacing in it.

I liked the longer pace in chapter 3. It felt semi-open world and was a nice change to the restricted spacing of chapter 1 and 2.

I've tried turbo mode once or twice but it takes me out of the game too much - so I've disabled it. I'll just use the skip key if I want to skip s-craft and arts animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom