Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Andy B

Novice
How do you buy and sell items and equipment?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm quite sure that the game's loot table are broken...

I'm several hours in, exploring the Cenotaph of the Black Lich with Lv 4 characters, yet every goddamn chest I opened so far had roughly the same loot: a sword, a tome, pants, a ring, food and some potions.

Electryon

Savant
I'm quite sure that the game's loot table are broken...

I'm several hours in, exploring the Cenotaph of the Black Lich with Lv 4 characters, yet every goddamn chest I opened so far had roughly the same loot: a sword, a tome, pants, a ring, food and some potions.

I can see why you would think it might be, but I'm guessing they aren't. They are somewhat varied enough that they aren't identical, and my guess is that the game really IS as long as advertised, and it's simply that no one is anywhere near the point where the loot starts to get significantly better.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can see why you would think it might be, but I'm guessing they aren't. They are somewhat varied enough that they aren't identical, and my guess is that the game really IS as long as advertised, and it's simply that no one is anywhere near the point where the loot starts to get significantly better.
I know they're not identical, but they all draw from the same small loot table. You can save & load before unlocking a chest to change its contents, and so far I'm still getting stuff from the exact same same loot table as the first chest in the game.

This can't be just "it's a long game", there's a serious loot issue in Grimoire. For example, specializing in archery is useless, as so far I only found one bow and 15 arrows. Also, shops have very small selections and don't re-stock. Not to mention that I'm about 4-5 hours in and already have characters with 40 skill in some weapons. No way the character progression will hold for 600 hours, much less 50.

mondblut

Arcane
A bit of research on spell access, using Zep's editor (up to 99999 xp):

1) New spells unlock depending on level only. Magic skill value doesn't seem to matter.
2) Spell access is defined solely by class, not by skill they have. Rangers, metalsmiths, thaumaturges and thieves all have alchemy but different spell lists.

Now for the fun thing - what squishy things you can discard:

WIZARD spell list is accessible to BARDs starting with level 3.
CLERIC spell list is accessible to TEMPLARS and BARDS (Jesus...) starting with level 3. Yes, starting with level 3 your bard can replace both your cleric and wizard, lagging 2 levels behind, give or take 1 for occasional exception spell. When she's not spamming a lyre. :roll:
THAUMATURGE spell list is accessible to RANGERS starting with level 4 and THIEVES starting with level 6. No bards this time, thank god.
SAGE spell list is accessible to METALSMITHS starting with level 6. Kinda too late to be useful.
NECROMANCER spell list is mostly unique (I'd suspect assassins access it, but since you can't have them out of the box, the point is moot)

I wonder how ridiculous a 2x ranger, 2x metalsmith, 2x templar and 2x bard party is going to get after surviving the first couple of levels worth of disease...

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
I know they're not identical, but they all draw from the same small loot table. You can save & load before unlocking a chest to change its contents, and so far I'm still getting stuff from the exact same same loot table as the first chest in the game.

Sort of true. Every random chest is filled according to the same algorithm: 1 melee weapon, 1 torso armor, 1 other armor, 1 missile weapon/ammo/throwing weapon, 1 scroll, 1 book, 1 magic item/music instrument etc. If you saved and loaded more, you'd get more arrows instead of darts and throwing knives and shit. And they do get better the deeper you are into the game.

jungl

Augur
is there any way to use a wand you equipped in ur hand in battle or does it have to be in your inventory to use it.

Blightor

Novice
So, what you get in the Sanctuary start is the following (Spoilers):
  • You can turn a dial to give all party members 1000xp
  • You can open up a chest that gives you a firearm with 99 ammo
  • You can visit a computer terminal to teach your party members 3 skills
  • You can visit an oracle in an adjacent map to identify items
  • No monster spawns in area.
  • Possible secret that may require a spell, (Levitate?)
  • Exit to Crowl locked building with crate
  • Xenomorph Keycard
  • Some scrolls like teleport and/or Dimension Door
Seriously? This almost flies in the face of the rest of the game. Wow.

iqzulk

Augur

1) New spells unlock depending on level only. Magic skill value doesn't seem to matter.
2) Spell access is defined solely by class, not by skill they have. Rangers, metalsmiths, thaumaturges and thieves all have alchemy but different spell lists.

CLERIC spell list is accessible to TEMPLARS and BARDS (Jesus...) starting with level 3. Yes, starting with level 3 your bard can replace both your cleric and wizard, lagging 2 levels behind, give or take 1 for occasional exception spell. When she's not spamming a lyre. :roll:
THAUMATURGE spell list is accessible to RANGERS starting with level 4 and THIEVES starting with level 6. No bards this time, thank god.
SAGE spell list is accessible to METALSMITHS starting with level 6. Kinda too late to be useful.
NECROMANCER spell list is mostly unique (I'd suspect assassins access it, but since you can't have them out of the box, the point is moot)

I wonder how ridiculous a 2x ranger, 2x metalsmith, 2x templar and 2x bard party is going to get after surviving the first couple of levels worth of disease...
Thank you. That was really interesting. Any information about Arcanum-school spells?

Last edited:

Blightor

Novice
My only regret is that I didn't put more speed on my casters. I assume that's what they need to get their turn first so I can alpha strike boss-y fights.

I think there may be a spellcasting attribute the equivalent of speed. I know my fastest character attacks first with a weapon, but last with a spell.
Interesting. Thanks for that little tidbit.

Tigranes

Arcane
As a blobber noob, with some but not much experience in Wizardry and M&M, the game looks great but I'm going to need a fair amount of time to figure out basics.

#Enemies like bugs and worms seem to routinely resist penetration to the widest variety of damage types that my starting party's equipment can muster. Is this just how it is?
#I'd rather roll with 6 until I figure out the game more, but is it necessary to go with 8 to not get facerolled? Seems like fair few folks are going with 6?
#We don't know yet exactly what the various stats do, right? I guess things will get easier once I can make better decisions about which weapons to equip and what stats to raise.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
#Enemies like bugs and worms seem to routinely resist penetration to the widest variety of damage types that my starting party's equipment can muster. Is this just how it is?

Rest often and keep Vitality up for better penetration. Also, higher STR and AGI help with penetration.

#I'd rather roll with 6 until I figure out the game more, but is it necessary to go with 8 to not get facerolled? Seems like fair few folks are going with 6?

If you want to have an easier time in the beginning, start at the Shrine and recruit Little Rosy.

#We don't know yet exactly what the various stats do, right? I guess things will get easier once I can make better decisions about which weapons to equip and what stats to raise.

A lot of the stats are pretty straight-forward and just like Wizardry.

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...y-and-hints-thread.117575/page-4#post-5238765

makchanka

Arbiter
God, the inventory is so shit that it is making me consider quitting.

Remember wiz8's inventory? did that really bother you? I was fine with it, tbh.

now think: how many items could you see at a time? not many, right? It was 8.

How many items are you seeing in Grimoire's inventory? 11. and it takes up less room. and you don't have to go into another screen to view it.

What's really fucking killing me are the monster noises. They repeat every two fucking seconds. Oh my god it gets annoying and there's no way to slow them down or turn them off, short of disabling sound effects, which I really do not want to do. Cleve's curated some nice audio, but holy shit does it get annoying when it's played over and over and over again a thousand times a minute.

edit: ok, so I figured out a means of scrolling through the inventory without clicking a million times. select one of the arrows and hold enter and it scrolls for you. it's not quite as nice as the scroll wheel, but I'll take it.

Also, I noticed something weird: There's an inventory slot to the right of the main inventory. I can stick shit in there, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than hold a single item. What's up with that? Is it for anything in particular?

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar

Do you know about the abilities of all the martial classes? Is Warrior a stepping stone class only, i.e. no reason to stay as once getting the skills up?
Thanks a lot for your effort, master munchkin.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pro tip: Don't save the game while swimming. Your characters may drown when loading the game even though you could have made it out of the water otherwise.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
As a blobber noob, with some but not much experience in Wizardry and M&M, the game looks great but I'm going to need a fair amount of time to figure out basics.

Bugs and worms seem to be the harder enemies at the start, if you begin in the Briarpatch Woods. As I obtained somewhat better weapons and advanced in weapon skills, I had a much easier time dealing with them. My advice is to head straight for the Shrine of the Raptor to clear it 100%, then explore Aquavia and pick up some better equipment. There's also a chest in the woods not too far from your starting position, which has a spear that might be helpful (perhaps the chest contents are semi-randomized, though, in which you case you could find even better equipment, especially if you save-scum).

I don't want to rely on overpowered NPCs, so I'm running a party of 8 PCs: Warrior, Berserker, Ranger, Thief, Cleric, Wizard, Thaumaturge, and Scribe. The first 5 of these characters gain weapon skills from combat (seems to be a random chance when a PC kills an enemy, of the PC receiving a skill increase with the weapon employed).

Since I had less idea about which skills would be useful than which attributes would be useful, I decided to put the bonus points for each character into attributes rather than the other options. Not sure if this was the right thing to do. :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Since I had less idea about which skills would be useful than which attributes would be useful, I decided to put the bonus points for each character into attributes rather than the other options. Not sure if this was the right thing to do. :M

In character creation, the game puts the extra skill points in the best skills for you. Skills are actually much easier to figure out than some of the attributes:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...y-and-hints-thread.117575/page-6#post-5239406

I'd recommend giving the two tanks extra hitpoints in the beginning.

mondblut

Arcane
Do you know about the abilities of all the martial classes? Is Warrior a stepping stone class only, i.e. no reason to stay as once getting the skills up?
Thanks a lot for your effort, master munchkin.

I never saw much use for warriors. Berserkers seem much better as pure bashers. Caliburnus can only be used by warriors and templars, but that's why we carry that useless durendil along :)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Mondblut In your opinion what's cool about a Durendil Templar? Was thinking of starting one ( perhaps a female)

You get a [backup] healer without wasting a party slot on a combat-incompetent cleric dude, and you don't need a boring warrior to use Caliburnus.

Sounds like the Lord from Wiz8. Can I choose it off the bat though? Like, start the game with a Durendil Templar or I'd have to multiclass.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Can I choose it off the bat though? Like, start the game with a Durendil Templar or I'd have to multiclass.

Durendil is the only one that can start as a Templar, but you need a 30 points roll, which is max for 5D6 or two below max for 4D8. Durendil require special armor though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom