Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Maybe I'm extra pessimistic because...

...whatever/you assume the worst on everything. You(or Lacrymas) don't look at anything about this game objectively. Your polar opposite is Sherry.
If anything, we're the only ones looking at it objectively, since we're not blinded by hype.
Look into your heart m8 you know it to be true.

Sizzle

Arcane
I lumped this in with the mechanics changes. The kits and multiclassing might make it more chaotic rather than better, especially with the new combat system. It sounds better on paper, because of D&D, but that's all.

Of course, that's a distinct possibility.

Still, the option to have a kitted class, which I can multiclass with another kitted class, while definitely opening up loads of possible (and quite probable) room for OP builds, somehow still makes me giddy for the entire thing, in a way that's very similar to how BG2's kit system made me feel. And that's a feeling very few games today can elicit in me.

Quillon

Arcane
Maybe I'm extra pessimistic because...

...whatever/you assume the worst on everything. You(or Lacrymas) don't look at anything about this game objectively. Your polar opposite is Sherry.
If anything, we're the only ones looking at it objectively, since we're not blinded by hype.
Look into your heart m8 you know it to be true.

They show good stuff, telling things I want to hear, changing things into what I wanted(I have linked my particular suggestions before about PoE2 when its revealed they were actually making it that way) and I'm reacting naturally and I think objectively. If it turns out disappointing in some way I won't defend it blindly, I didn't for Pillars 1. My reactions come from my own taste in RPGs, not because some game they didn't make(VTM:B) is so much better in some ways than what they have produced recently or whatever reason you have that I don't know and clearly looks to me like pessimism for the sake of pessimism.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Still, the option to have a kitted class, which I can multiclass with another kitted class, while definitely opening up loads of possible (and quite probable) room for OP builds, somehow still makes me giddy for the entire thing, in a way that's very similar to how BG2's kit system made me feel. And that's a feeling very few games today can elicit in me.

Whether we can make OP combinations is a "wait-and-see" thing. I don't actually want that, but ok. What I wanted to say, however, is that the OP combinations in BG are very rarely ones that don't include OP classes. Mage/Thief, Kensai/Mage, Berserker/Mage, Fighter/Mage/Thief, etc. all include, surprise, surprise, mages. The only OP combination I can think of that doesn't include mages in some way is Ranger/Cleric (and you have to be of good alignment, which is gross). So, yeah.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
My reactions come from my own taste in RPGs, not because some game they didn't make(VTM:B) is so much better in some ways than what they have produced recently
VtMB was just used as an example. I could just as easily have used a game Obsidian did make - KotOR2, Alpha Protocol, MotB, or New Vegas. The point still stands. After New Vegas, everything they've done was lackluster, although PoE1 showed signs of life in some moments.

Sizzle

Arcane

Whether we can make OP combinations is a "wait-and-see" thing. I don't actually want that, but ok. What I wanted to say, however, is that the OP combinations in BG are very rarely ones that don't include OP classes. Mage/Thief, Kensai/Mage, Berserker/Mage, Fighter/Mage/Thief, etc. all include, surprise, surprise, mages. The only OP combination I can think of that doesn't include mages in some way is Ranger/Cleric (and you have to be of good alignment, which is gross). So, yeah.

I was talking more about being excited at the all possibilities this will open up, not (just) for making OP builds.

And PoE's classes are a lot more varied than BG's, so it won't all be about mages.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I was talking more about being excited at the all possibilities this will open up, not (just) for making OP builds.

And PoE's classes are a lot more varied than BG's, so it won't all be about mages.

What I will praise PoE for to high heavens for all time is how wizards aren't so grossly overpowered compared to everything else that you constantly feel gimped for not playing one.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
dQpwZmg.png

this looks boring as fuck
im not even being edgy

i already feel the tedious boredom of going into those loading screen buildings and talking to captains trademasters and sailors about their fetchquest

latest

this too looks boring as fuck
I'am not even trying to be a dumbfuck!

Prime Junta

Better images:

5P0Z7cU.jpg

72ox1vm.png

There are ... certain similarities.

The P2 district is noticeably bigger BTW. Of course this was one of the smaller Athkatla maps, so can't draw too big conclusions from that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
At first I thought the first pic is Neketaka and was like "Huh, this looks like the Athkatla docks, even the aesthetic reminds me of it, but at least it doesn't look small", then I saw the second pic...

:despair:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's the content that made the baldurs gate 2 city zones so much fun to explore.

I disagree with Sawyer, that bg2 had too much content density, it made exploring fun, and zones worth revisiting, unlike PoE.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Who is this blind fanboy of PoE that you mention TheSentinel? I am mostly seeing cautious optimisms due promised faction system and variety of the big city, with many people being skeptical of many changes and features promised on top. This thread being the epicentre of "hype" in this site, also. Where the game is criticised everywhere else in the site.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Better images:

5P0Z7cU.jpg

72ox1vm.png

There are ... certain similarities.

The P2 district is noticeably bigger BTW. Of course this was one of the smaller Athkatla maps, so can't draw too big conclusions from that.

I know there's a lot of nostalgia involved, but I finished Baldurs Gate 2 these days, and the game is pretty fresh in my mind.

Athlaka is not THAT good. The maps are weird and most of them are really uninteresting: graveyard, docks, government and slums. Actually, in particular Slums is far less interesting than it could be. There are two or three really fun places, but the rest is pretty much wasted on a map that could contain a lot more. if you take into account what was designed.

latest

Ulfhednar

Savant
It wasn't necessarily the size of the maps in Athkatla that made the place feel big, but also the building interiors (e. g. the thieves guild, the shadow thief hideout and the Harpers were all in the Docks, the slums had the Copper Coronet, the slaver ship and the Planar sphere). There was also the sense of danger when entering... ummm... unmarked buildings. The bridge district in particular... The only large interiors in Defiance Bay were the catacombs and the heritage hill tower. The only ambush-on-entry that I recall was the one at the Northern end of Copperlane. Many building interiors involved little to no exploration. I like to believe that they were pressed on budget and time and hopefully the interior maps for Neketaka will be much more interesting

Sentinel

Arcane
Who is this blind fanboy of PoE that you mention TheSentinel? I am mostly seeing cautious optimisms due promised faction system and variety of the big city, with many people being skeptical of many changes and features promised on top. This thread being the epicentre of "hype" in this site, also. Where the game is criticised everywhere else in the site.
Your very own host Infinitron, for starters. Prime Jumento, his wing man. TT1, another one. Iz something with the faggot phoenix pic, dont remember his name, that retard who wrote the PoE re-re-re-re-re-review, don't know his name either. I could go on but I don't feel like clicking "previous page".

PS: Add Lizard Wizard the King Gizzard

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a feeling PoE2 will be PoE1, but bigger, not necessarily better. Which isn't that good of a thing, PoE is only enjoyable with a loooot of compromises and adjustments of expectations.
... if one is coming to PoE from the IE games. Exactly what I've been saying - instead of "PoE is a good game for you if you liked the IE games", it's the other way around - the IE games will feel great for you and a huge improvement of the experience if you have marginally liked PoE. How this counts as a successful "spiritual successor", I cannot say.

Even though I despise recycling the past, PoE would've been better had it been more like BG1 and that's a painful thing to admit.
At least someone in this thread isn't blind.

The P2 district is noticeably bigger BTW.
Well, it's very fortunate you were not born a woman, isn't it? :lol:

It wasn't necessarily the size of the maps in Athkatla that made the place feel big, but also the building interiors (e. g. the thieves guild, the shadow thief hideout and the Harpers were all in the Docks, the slums had the Copper Coronet, the slaver ship and the Planar sphere).
True.

There was also the sense of danger when entering... ummm... unmarked buildings. The bridge district in particular... The only large interiors in Defiance Bay were the catacombs and the heritage hill tower.
Mark these words folks.

The only ambush-on-entry that I recall was the one at the Northern end of Copperlane. Many building interiors involved little to no exploration. I like to believe that they were pressed on budget and time and hopefully the interior maps for Neketaka will be much more interesting

Things did improve in TWM, yet this didn't help the feeling that I backed a game, just so the team could learn the technology and "re-learn how to make isometric RPGs" - I'm happy for you but I wanted a game that measures up to the names you were dropping in every interview and KS update. Defiance Bay is a token service to the two (or three) cities one thinks of when thinking of the IE games.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
... if one is coming to PoE from the IE games. Exactly what I've been saying - instead of "PoE is a good game for you if you liked the IE games", it's the other way around - the IE games will feel great for you and a huge improvement of the experience if you have marginally liked PoE. How this counts as a successful "spiritual successor", I cannot say.

Exactly! Replaying the IE games in a post-PoE world makes me appreciate them even more. It's not appropriate to say that the IE games are unquantifiably better and a more refined version of PoE because they were the first ones to come out, it's more truthful to say that PoE is worse, but if PoE is your first isometric CRPG the IE games will indeed be innumerable steps up in almost every possible way and all of them being in the ones that count. Even including graphics and aesthetics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom