Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 1999 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast

Votes: 102 79.1%
  • Clans AKA Satanica

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Darkstone

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Farland Odyssey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jagged Alliance 2

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Lands of Lore 3

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Legend of Heroes 5: A Cagesong of the Ocean AKA Legend of Heroes 3: Song of the Ocean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • Odium AKA Gorky 17

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • Planescape: Torment

Votes: 121 93.8%
  • Revenant

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Ultima 9: Ascension

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • Natuk

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Allods 2: Master of Souls AKA Rage of Mages 2: Necromancer

Votes: 18 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Same rules as before, this time for 1999.

Notes:

Votes for Infinity Engine games include the Enhanced Editions (see previous polls for reasoning).

A lot of games this year have alternative titles depending on region of the world you're in, please make sure to read each title fully and not just skim the first word. "AKA" represents a game with an alternative title, the AKA does not form part of the name of the game.

LOTS to choose from this year, but feel free to name anything I might have missed ( & apologies for any typos ).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The list is missing Natuk and Legend of the North: Konung.
Rage of Mages II and King of Dragon Pass may also qualify.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The list is missing Natuk and Legend of the North: Konung.
Rage of Mages II and King of Dragon Pass may also qualify.

Thanks for that, have added Natuk and Rage of Mages 2.

Konung: Legend of the North was in the list for 2000. The info on this was confusing when researching it, google syas it was released in 1999 and 2000.

I've played King of Dragon Pass so I'm fully aware that that game is not in the slightest bit an RPG. I'm not entirely sure what category it is, something akin to a novel strategy game, but I suspect people try to apply the RPG tag because the game doesn't have a specific genre.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Konung: Legend of the North was in the list for 2000. The info on this was confusing when researching it, google syas it was released in 1999 and 2000.

According to Mobgames the original Russian release was September 6, 1999.

Indeed. It didn't make the cut anyway, so it's kinda academic now. Maybe by the time of the next poll it will have more notoriety and the poll creator will give more of a fuck about spending the time on it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm actually surprised to see that seemingly, more people have played PS:T than Baldur's Gate.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Rage of Mages 2 was surprisingly fun, but some levels were very frustrating.
I do remember playing as a mage and teleporting all the time. :lol:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Oh dear, it looks like pst wont be leading the pack this time, its been distracted by a grimoire release. Damn it, cleve could at least have provided some idea of a release date so that i could've suspend the polls for a week or two out of respect.

Zer0wing

Cipher
MM7's poor performance was certainly a surprise to me. I thought it was a classic, but judging from the poll it's more in the obscure territory.
It's just not everyone count blobbers as RPGs after Planescape: Torment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Severian Silk

Oh dear, it looks like pst wont be leading the pack this time, its been distracted by a grimoire release. Damn it, cleve could at least have provided some idea of a release date so that i could've suspend the polls for a week or two out of respect.
It's like that time I started that Codex poll on 9/11.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
JA2 and SS2 are not RPGs, thus I didn't select them even when I played them.

Falksi

Arcane
JA2 - I only played it for the first time earlier this year and couldn't get into it. I only played it a few hours, so will be giving it another try after I finish Underrail. Just wondering a few things:

*How far in does it take to get hooked?
*Does it still stand up today, or is a large dose of nostalgia needed to enjoy it?
*Any tips of how best to enjoy it?

Ta.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

But was it a great RPG?

First we must ask ourselves this question: What is an RPG?

Not at all. You provided a personal opinion. I merely asked for a more defined description. The answer would still be your opinion and does not require a mass debate on the wider topic, merely for you to continue in the vein of your personal opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom