Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Kayerts

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore Hey, congratulations on the launch. You don't know me, but I've read a great many stories of you, and some of the mockery people have hurled at you daily for years. I've laughed at some of it. You seem like you have, too. There were some good jokes. But, twenty-three years. And here you are.

I don't believe you're a genetically superior titanium-boned ubermensch, but I do believe there aren't any other people like you on Earth, which is sort of similar. And I believe you just completed something you've been working on for a very, very long time, pouring more obsession into it than any ten normal people spend in their lifetimes. It would take a very dull man to see that and not find it moving.

Over the next weeks, I'm sure you'll deal with dogpiles of those dull men, rushing to tell you that your game is not good, or that it's pretty good but not great, or that it's broken, and on and on, laughing at every bug. "guys grimoire crashed on my abacus despite me clacking the beads so fast that i flawlessly simulated windows 10! shit dev!!" Hell, for all I know, maybe they're right and it is unreasonably buggy. I don't care. It's easy to laugh at someone trying to do something hard and making mistakes. It's easy to laugh at a guy blowing past deadline after deadline because he's running into difficulties he didn't anticipate and no one else knows about. It's very hard to keep working on your dream for 23 years, despite constant heckling. It's hard as hell to finally slam it down before a tough crowd without fear or apology. If this were a mediocre game, that'd still be a triumph of the human spirit.

I'm off to give you $36 and then probably search for answers to why it crashed to desktop on my machine, but congrats.

:salute::salute::salute::lol::salute::salute::salute:

Rick

Erudite
I am seriously considering buying it. I am not really into blobbers that much, especially "old school" ones, but right now I'm bored and looking for something ... different ... than what I've been playing the last few years, which are mostly ARPG's and games like Oblivion and Skyrim which have a LOT to do, but pretty much everything is quite shallow and gets boring.

My biggest concern is not bugs, which appear to be getting addressed fairly rapidly, or the frustration I know I'll experience with puzzles and figuring out what, if anything, those strange items in my inventory are good for. I have this forum and the multitude of incredibly helpful people to assist my aging brain so maybe that's not a serious concern.

My real concern is with the current lack of a manual and tool-tips explaining basic stuff. I know CMB stated he'll be doing the manual this weekend, but I am not certain it'll happen. I know myself, and if I can't figure out what something does, or how something works, objects will start flying around the room and if I had a dog, he'd be running for cover.

Ah, what the hell. CMB finally pushed the "release" button; I suppose I can push the "buy" button.

Maybe I can just pop a Xanax or two before playing ...

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
So maybe, for example, when it comes time for GOG release I won't be eligible with a regular retail Steam key attached to my account instead of a backer key. Cleve has not answered any of my attempts to gather that information from him. If he'd just let me know that there is no difference between retail and backer keys, I'll buy it immediately.
I may be wrong, but I find it highly unlikely that it's even possible to connect a Steam copy to a GOG copy. They're competing businesses.

The best you're likely to miss is some silly "I'm a backer!" badge for you Steam account. He's had enough trouble with one version of the game without having to maintain another more exclusive version in tandem.

https://af.gog.com/connect?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh well... Let's do this!

1KDM28x.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't stop playing this. I started playing and then all of a sudden 4 hours passed! This is like a dream come true. :hug: Thank you. Cleve! Going on an adventure, discovering things, sharing those discoveries with others while they speak of things you missed and vise versa. Looking for secret buttons, in secret places... doing secret stuff. Everyone navigating his magnum opus like we are on a BBS in old skool glory!

The Lascaux cave has nothing on this.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
"""bought""" from what he said earlier though
This Baxander bloke is pretty disgusting creature, spending hours to upload megabytes of defamatory videos on YT and stealing the game afterwards. Such types are nothing but waste of good bandwidth. Since defamatory and stalking are crimes prosecutable by western law, Google takes request on deleting such accounts on a regular basis. I'd suggest Cleveland Mark Blakemore to take legal step toward this cretin - sending request to Google in order to nuke that YT account due to defamatory content, using personal pictures withour permission, and stalking.

:rage:
npuu_quickmemo+_2017-08-05-10-30-17-1.png

mondblut

Arcane
OK, so what's the deal with Templars? Mondblunt, any insight?

I accidentally wound up with one. Was trying to roll a Dur Bard but got a 30 and saw that Templar was available so I figured I better make one while the opportunity was there. But not sure what they do exactly. It sounds like they're a Paladin, but if they're Dur and can't use any freaking equipment what good is that? A Paladin that can't wield any good armor and weapons? Seems weird.

Everything is correct. You may want to keep him around for sword Caliburnus and until high-tier armor starts rolling in. Metalsmith's hammer makes a decent starting weapon he can use, then he can use some lances from Crowl armory. Just don't put him in front.

mondblut

Arcane
I just don't understand why people would do something malicious to an individual creating content just to bring them down.

It reminds me of negro communities where they attack each other for trying to get ahead or do something they cannot.

Steam is a giant negro community (of all colors).

mondblut

Arcane
edit: nevermind,
put the owl in the alcove and found the passage
I tried that randomly, was there a hint somewhere that I missed?

You wake up with no memories next to a shrine to the owl, and a peculiar figurine of an owl just appears on you out of the blue. How's that for a hint? :smug:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn! I've been playing the game for some hours and I feel like I'm back to the Crusaders of the Dark Savant days.
What a great game! And all this fun for less than 100mbs of disk space!
Sometimes "less" can really be "more".
:russiastronk::mrpresident:

Congratulations for making a great game, Cleve!

mondblut

Arcane
1.How do you class change you party members when they get the stats they need?

Level 10. It might prove less useful than it sounds though.

2. I have 2 people diseased and 1 paralyzed I have been to mid knight gardens and crowl village where can I get them healed?

Galen apples found in some shrubs in Briarpatch woods cure disease. So do leeches found next to pools, same area (also cure poison). Don't know about paralysis other than a lucky scroll or potion in treasure chests.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is there a fix for the CTD when you click on character icons? I tested the game yesterday with no issues but I got two crashes today.

I read in a review it was fixed after a reinstall. I myself never saw that crash.
Can confirm that, i reinstalled it and not suffering the crash anymore. One odd thing is yesterday while downloading it was stuck at 99% for a very long time, thought it was the ultimate trolling from cleve, but even he cant possibly do that.

mondblut

Arcane
Cleve has spent the last 17 years telling people his game has been going to come out. He has set multiple release dates "in stone" only to disappoint his fans time and time again. He set three release dates this year alone and each time he got people hyped up for its release. The only person who kept moving the goalposts is Cleve. You have to be either ignorant of his history or completely disingenuous.

And you have discovered it all 3 days ago, but the righteous fire of indignation nonetheless burns bright in your sphincter, eh?

We who were around for these 17 years (20, actually) are not damsels in distress and don't need your whiteknighting. Go away.

Karl Barx

Novice
I'm honestly loving this game. On another note, is playing on Novice decline?
Don't think so.
Game difficulty is a bit unbalanced : in the starting area (Briarpatch Woods), most fights are piece of cake, but there's this b*tt-like pink Festermonster which keeps killing 3 of my men in one agile tentacle shot. And poisonous plants which paralyze them. And...
More generally, survival chances in debut area seem very random -thanks to ?DESTINY?. Can't blame you nor me for Noviceism.

mondblut said:
Don't know about paralysis other than a lucky scroll or potion in treasure chests.
ARGH really ?
First area, still not visited town, and most awesome warrior is already paralyzed by hostile vegetables :negative:.

Good news men. DECLINE, my Grimoire Stat/Item Editor has been confirmed to work in the Release version.
Care to share the link again, Zep ?
Great Old Thread is in Prosperland, main party member is poisoned-paralyzed-seropositive, and I'd like to keep him alive until next stop in town.

Last edited:

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
It's as if there was a second coming of the Golden Baby to fulfill the promise of salvation, but all the faithful were left behind, and only the "I won't believe till I am able to put my fingers up your ass" crowd got saved.

Damn it, where is my backer key!

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So. My gaming pc is on hiatus as we are rebuilding. ANy bets on how safe this might be to install on my work laptop?..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom