Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Incline is currently cannibalizing decline. Steamtards dropping the game let Cleve fix bugs in the process.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alright fuck it, sounds like people actually wanted to play this shit rather than joke about it. I'm honestly surprised, have you seen the screenshots? I'm outta here, again.
Screenshots? Is that how you form opinions on something? Most people in this thread are actually playing the fucking game you fat fuck

You are trying too hard. You really need to study your codex history Young Padawan....

john141414514

Literate
new unworthy person here need help. 1.How do you class change you party members when they get the stats they need? 2. I have 2 people diseased and 1 paralyzed I have been to mid knight gardens and crowl village where can I get them healed?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Alright fuck it, sounds like people actually wanted to play this shit rather than joke about it. I'm honestly surprised, have you seen the screenshots? I'm outta here, again.
Screenshots? Is that how you form opinions on something? Most people in this thread are actually playing the fucking game you fat fuck

You are trying too hard. You really need to study your codex history Young Padawan....

Studied your mother last night, in depth.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Grimoire haters are nothing but losers and crybabies

103666044-RTX2AQXH.530x298.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
Are there any new spell effects as compared to the ones in the demos and earlier leaks/alpha releases?

mondblut

Mech

Cipher
Has anyone actually confirmed if this is significantly different from the super demo (other than via the files in the directory)?

jfunk

Augur
Has anyone actually confirmed if this is significantly different from the super demo (other than via the files in the directory)?

I haven't played much yet, but so far it looks like quite a bit. Huge is that the alternate starts are enabled, so right off the bat you have a bunch of new areas you can explore. There are new graphics added (long distance stuff in the view past the closest trees). Seems to have been rebalanced, I feel like Briar Patch is a bit more difficult than in the superdemo, but IMO still quite accessible compared to the New City start of Crusaders.

Fireblade

Erudite

The super demo is 12 mb. The full version is 41 mb. That indicates it is only around 3-ish times as large...
Actually the superdemo's data file (BUNDLE-x.RSF) is 42.5M while the full game's data file is 67.3MB, so about 58% larger. Doubt it's too meaningful, but it's more meaningful than comparing sizes of the installers.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

The super demo is 12 mb. The full version is 41 mb. That indicates it is only around 3-ish times as large...
Actually the superdemo's data file (BUNDLE-x.RSF) is 42.5M while the full game's data file is 67.3MB, so about 58% larger. Doubt it's too meaningful, but it's more meaningful than comparing sizes of the installers.

Superdemo graphics were uncompressed bitmaps once installed, maybe he finally moved to png if he updated whatever packaging libraries from the 90s he was using.

mogwaimon

Magister

Hm. Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. But the graphical fidelity has not scaled up...........hmm.......hmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why do you think the graphics have to be 'better' because the file-size is larger? This could also mean that there are more graphics assets packed into the archive, not that the ?SQUIRREL? suddenly has 1920x1080 anti-aliased 3DFX sprites or something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Kinda hard to form an opinion about this game between all those 'It is an unplayable bugfest' and 'best game ever' posts itt. And steam reviews are either 0.1 hours of record 'I don't liek grafiks, refudn' or they just write how other reviews are shit.
Darth Roxor i don't like you and you don't like me but this is important. You're the only one who can be trusted to explore the true state of this game and write up an educated opinion.
Codex needs you.

accepting donations

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Kinda hard to form an opinion about this game between all those 'It is an unplayable bugfest' and 'best game ever' posts itt. And steam reviews are either 0.1 hours of record 'I don't liek grafiks, refudn' or they just write how other reviews are shit.
Darth Roxor i don't like you and you don't like me but this is important. You're the only one who can be trusted to explore the true state of this game and write up an educated opinion.
Codex needs you.

accepting donations

?((()))?

glasnost

Augur
Not knowing what something is is a fact of life in RPGs, but if one doesn't know one's rodents from one's canines than the (eventual) completion of the game implies miracles and dumb luck for the hapless fools in the adventuring party, rather than any qualifying mettle or skills.

On the other hand, it is a lot more fun fighting UGLY DOGS, RUDE CHAPS, and SQUIRRELS, than it is rats and bandits. I'd like it if Cleve and other developers embrace more absurdity in the naming of enemy types if the abandonment of the stock progression of antagonists is a bridge too far.

mogwaimon

Magister
Not knowing what something is is a fact of life in RPGs, but if one doesn't know one's rodents from one's canines than the (eventual) completion of the game implies miracles and dumb luck for the hapless fools in the adventuring party, rather than any qualifying mettle or skills.

On the other hand, it is a lot more fun fighting UGLY DOGS, RUDE CHAPS, and SQUIRRELS, than it is rats and bandits. I'd like it if Cleve and other developers embrace more absurdity in the naming of enemy types if the abandonment of the stock progression of antagonists is a bridge too far.

I agree, it adds both comedy and some old-school charm with the odd naming conventions (When unidentified, that is).

Mustawd

I love the goalpost-moving from the haters: "Never coming out -> unplayable -> Cleve's a meany", in under 48 hours

Cleve has spent the last 17 years telling people his game has been going to come out. He has set multiple release dates "in stone" only to disappoint his fans time and time again. He set three release dates this year alone and each time he got people hyped up for its release. The only person who kept moving the goalposts is Cleve. You have to be either ignorant of his history or completely disingenuous.

WHO

CARES

It's out now you fucking retard. Only people not actually wanting to play the game would complain about all that. Gimme a fucking break.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My favorite game of all time is Wizardry 7, I must have played the game about 500 hours in multiple playthoughs. I still remember sitting on my father's studio and library after school and playing maybe 3 hours at a time and feeling I barely scratched the surface of the area I was mapping out, getting a new level and or sorting out items for going on a dungeon run.... such good time along with some of my favorites as Darklands, Gold box games, The Summoning, World
of Xeen but Wizardry 7 was always my favorite
But then life got in the way and blobbers were no longer in vogue or feasible for publishers
So I spent half a decade with my trusty 486 and replayed Wizardry some more
Time flew, college came and went and I got into consoles and JRPGs
I still looked fondly at my beloved collection of now old school games, modern games were fun too stuff like Dark Souls, Metal Gear or the Stalker series but other than that games rarely had the "magic" of my old games
And then I learned about Grimoire
That MIDI sounds, those sprite based graphics, that clunky step system
I immediately knew I loved it so I backed it on the Indiego go campaign
And I waited..
And the world changed arround me
I changed jobs
I changed girlfriends
I changed cities
I occasionally checked the Grimoire thread...
Sometimes I wanted to join the doubters, the mockers, the smartasses
Hadnt I shown faith?
Hadnt I been steadfast?
As more and more deadlines came and went life went on
I had great joys, great sorrows and still a part of me still waited for this day, expecting it but at the same time knowing that that expectation that part of my life would be over
Grimoire is finally here
I can barely recognize the changes in me, the dreams the joys the failures the trips and the waiting for the Golden Dawn
Reading how Nixheb told his son the story of Grimoire or how other users who joined the Codex just like me but lost their faith or were just as pigheaded as me or Dashwin I felt part of a comunity of screwballs, of dreamers and of searchers
Cleveland Mark Blakemore I love you, and even though I might never meet you on person we will always share this dream this Golden Dawn and for a may it shine forever
Thank you for this...

Oh still waiting for my Steam Key and kind of nervous of installing that Steam spyware of my laptop

iqzulk

Augur
I do not know, whether any of these messages of mine, pertaining to superdemo, were reposted on the previous pages, but, well, just in case.

1. 2 RTF files: one with some statistics concerning each class in the game, and another, detailing which skills are accessible via which classes.
Some compiled information on classes - RTF#1 - and a revised version of who-does-what (which classes have access to which skills) - RTF#2 - for superdemo. Hope somebody will find that useful. Could be some insignificant mistakes (not to mention mistypes) here and there, but, for the most part, I think, those files should be fairly clean in terms of information they present.
2. Another RTF file, detailing factual (not calculated, but actually verified) minimal dice rolls (including impossible ones through the usage of Cheat Engine) for each race-gender-class combination in the game, as well as multiplier coefficients for said rolls (seemed to hold true for my party in the full version of the game, didn't recheck further than that).
RTF#3, with all the rolls. Could be some mistakes here and there, but screw it, I am not rechecking that stuff, this will have to make do.
3. Post detailing how bonus value calculation during character generation seems to work (confirmed for the full game so far as well).
I fiddled with everything bonus-related quite a bit, and found out this.

First, the typical case, without any special race-class cases. You have the standard racial stuff (femaleSTR=maleSTR-[maleSTR/4]; femaleFEL=maleFEL+[maleFEL/5] where [] means rounding down). You roll a dice. The roll compensates the difference between the racial-gender values of attributes and the minimum attribute requirements for the desired class (diff from here on after, it's a difference between the sum of attributes of the clean character - and the same character who has chosen the desired profession; at the same time, in the typical case, it is also equal to the minimum roll one needs to make in order to have, for the given character, access to the desired class). The bonus is typically equal to (roll-diff). HOWEVER. It only applies IF the roll is at least twice the value of diff. Meaning. If that difference in the sum of attributes for the desired class is 15, you only get the bonus if you roll 30 or higher. Naturally, if the diff is more than 16, you don't get bonus at all.

Now, to the special race-class cases. In those cases, the value of the pool, from which the difference in attributes is covered, seems to be derived from the value of the roll like this: [k*roll], where [] is, again, rounded down, and k is anywhere from 0.5 to 2.0 with a 0.1 step. Now, bonus-wise, it starts to differ from the standard case. First, the minimum roll (minroll from hereafter) value becomes different from the difference in sum attribute values, that would need to be covered in order to access the desired class (diff above). So, say, for leonar-male-berserker, say, the difference which needs to be covered is diff=15, but the minimum roll, which is needed to cover that difference is only minroll=12. Now, contrary to what the game WRITES, the value of the bonus is ALWAYS equal to roll (actual) - diff (actual), without any coefficient or minroll bullshit, and that bonus is the same, whether it goes to attributes or destiny. However, it gets applied if roll is twice as much as minroll (as opposed to diff) or higher. So, in the aforementioned leonar-male-berseker case (minroll=12 is needed to cover diff=15), if the roll is 30, the actual bonus will be 15, however, the minimal roll at which you actually receive the bonus, is 24, at which point the value of that bonus is 24-15=9 (with the game telling you, that it's equal to something along the lines of, like, 15-20).

I actually experimented with this whole bonus bullshit a whole lot, and found it best to ignore all those special race-class combinations, and to use either combinations for which mininal roll is under 16, or those where it's as close to 30 as possible, so that not to waste any attribute points during chargen.
4. Post detailing the usage of Cheat Engine for forging desired values of dice rolls during character generation (works for the full game as well, this method also works for getting the desired value of the character's age, which needs to be done on the race selection screen).
1. Launch Cheat Engine (CE from here on). Launch Grimoire. In CE, do File -> Open Process -> Choose the process corresponding to Grimoire and press "Open".
2. Next, in CE, set up "Hex" flag to off, "Scan Type" to Exact Value and "Value Type" to 4 Bytes.
3. In Grimoire Superdemo go to Library -> Create -> choose desired race and gender -> choose either 4D8 or 5D6 -> STOP (meaning, "Do not press anything else in Grimoire window, CANCEL included"). This screen which shows the current roll value, I will from here on out call "roll screen". You are supposed to end up on such a roll screen. Memorize the value it is showing (for example, 21). Leave it like that for the time being without pressing anything else.
4. Input that memorized value into "Value" field in CE. Press "New Search". You will get a whole bunch of addresses in the left part of CE screen. Leave it like that for the time being.
5. In the roll screen in Grimoire press "ROLL AGAIN" (if you are outside the roll screen for whatever reason, then just get back to roll screen, as described in step 3). If the new roll value is different from the previous one (24, as opposed to 21 in our example, for instance, or, say, 14, as opposed to 24, and so on), then everything is alright. If it's the same, then roll again, or, if you are out of rolls, get back to the roll screen, as described in step 3. If it's the same once again, then keep doing it until it ceases to be the same. Memorize the new roll value (again, it needs to be different from the previously memorized roll value). Leave it like that for the time being.
6. In CE, input the new memorized value into "Value" field - and, in contrast with step 4, press then "Next Scan" (use "New Search" only if you feel, for whatever reason, the need to reset the whole procedure and to start afresh from step 3). The list of addresses in the left part of CE screen will shorten.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you are only left with two addresses in the left part of CE screen. Double click on both. They will get added to the list in the bottom of CE screen, and will have fields "Active", "Description", "Address", "Type" and "Value" assigned to them.
8. One of those two addresses is useless to you, while the other is the one you are looking for. In order to distinguish between the two, get to the roll screen in Grimoire again, and then in CE, in the bottom list of addresses, double click the "Value" field corresponding to the first address, change it to 100000 and then press OK. In Grimoire, press then "Accept". You will now be on the screen of professions available to your character. You will have either every single profession unlocked, or you won't. In the first case, the address you have changed, is the one you need, and you can delete the second one from the bottom screen in CE. Otherwise, the address you need is the second one, and you can safely delete the first one. Now you have one single address in CE, which allows you to forge the roll values.
9. Usage. In Grimoire, get to the roll screen, then switch to CE, double click on the "Value" field corresponding to the single address you have acquired in step 8, input the desired roll value (for example, 30 or 32), press OK. Then, in Grimoire, press "Accept". The game will then behave, as if you have rolled, in our example, 30 or 32 fair and square.
N.B. It's a lot of words, but it requires, like, 2 minutes for the whole skedaddle.
Note: In addition to the superdemo's bonus value calculation bug still being in the full version of the game, superdemo's musical instruments bug is also still in the full version of the game (in superdemo, musical instruments could be used from the general inventory by any number of party members at the same turn, and those party members could be of any class, and not necessarily ones that even had access to the "Music" skill; this lead to situations where all 8 members of the party could spam "Sleep", or "Charm", or "Paralyze" on each turn; also the usage of musical instruments in such a way produced increases in "Invocation" skill, not the "Music" skill; this bug is still in the full version of the game, meaning that anyone whatsoever, with or without access to "Music" skill, can successfully use bard's instruments from the general inventory regardless of how many other party members use that same instrument on the same turn, although now the usage of the instruments in such a way provides the increases in "Music" skill, the way it should be - for those classes which have access to "Music" skill - and not in "Invocation" skill, as it was in superdemo).

Note 2: DEV attribute affects (at least) the mana pool increases on levelups. STR (to a lesser extent) and CON (to a bigger extent) attributes affect vitality increases on levelups. STR attribute also immediately affects Max load (100% encumbrance) value.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I love the goalpost-moving from the haters: "Never coming out -> unplayable -> Cleve's a meany", in under 48 hours

Cleve has spent the last 17 years telling people his game has been going to come out. He has set multiple release dates "in stone" only to disappoint his fans time and time again. He set three release dates this year alone and each time he got people hyped up for its release. The only person who kept moving the goalposts is Cleve. You have to be either ignorant of his history or completely disingenuous.

WHO

CARES

It's out now you fucking retard. Only people not actually wanting to play the game would complain about all that. Gimme a fucking break.
The agents of decline are quickly realizing that they are about to be destitute.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I enjoy reading posts like this, brings humanity to the otherwise cold pursuit of playing RPG's.

To think that other people playing games are real human beings who age and have events in their lives is quite the new concept to me. I always assume everyone who isn't me just stands around like an NPC.

One can only ponder how many people died waiting for this game. Did they leave descendants to play? Did they die without passing on their genetics? What if their children are non RPG playing "casual gamers"?

Be sure to post when you beat the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom