Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

jfunk

Augur
If you're so kind, I'll take a few minutes to be honest here:

Grimoire is released, yes, at last. Is it what was promised? No. Is it anything else than that chinese dish you crave for after a bender and that, although rather bland and cheap, satisfies your hunger nonetheless? Yes, it is. But it's just that.

On the other hand, I want to, to some extent, salute Cleve for his work, as flawed as it is, since it was still a one man's job.
And not any man. A guy who's pure narcissistic, self-absored nature allowed him to transcend the actual facts. He was just one step removed from a daily physical gang-bang by an angry mob of post-apocalyptic nihilists. He survived that, and managed to hold the line, the hype, and, in one way or another, his (hideously deformed [editor's note]) golden baby alive and kicking.
A single man was capable of entertaining thousands, in one way or an other, for 20+ fucking years, with nothing more than an outdated blobber that barely fitted the inital 1997 release.

And I do deeply respect that.
YET, for all the crap that went with it, and how, however amusing he was, he acted, as far as gamedesign is concerned, I'll paraphrase the saying of some early american slaver patriot toward one of their perceived traitors:

Benedict "Cleveland" Arnold, if captured? We'll bury the leg with military honours, then we'll hang the rest.

It's bizarre to see people pretending to be objective and say the game is crap. If you didn't like M&M and Wizardry, then you should have known this wouldn't be your thing. If you claim to like M&M and Wizardry, but say Grimoire is crap, then you're just lying.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Grimoire is released, yes, at last. Is it what was promised? No. Is it anything else than that chinese dish you crave for after a bender and that, although rather bland and cheap, satisfies your hunger nonetheless? Yes, it is. But it's just that.

On the other hand, I want to, to some extent, salute Cleve for his work, as flawed as it is, since it was still a one man's job.
And not any man. A guy who's pure narcissistic, self-absored nature allowed him to transcend the actual facts. He was just one step removed from a daily physical gang-bang by an angry mob of post-apocalyptic nihilists. He survived that, and managed to hold the line, the hype, and, in one way or another, his (hideously deformed [editor's note]) golden baby alive and kicking.
A single man was capable of entertaining thousands, in one way or an other, for 20+ fucking years, with nothing more than an outdated blobber that barely fitted the inital 1997 release.

YET, for all the crap that went with it, and how, however amusing he was, he acted, as far as gamedesign is concerned, I'll paraphrase the saying of some early american slaver patriot toward one of their perceived traitors:

Benedict "Cleveland" Arnold, if captured? We'll bury the leg with military honours, then we'll hang the rest.
Could you explain why the game isn't very good? You made a long post here but you said literally nothing of value.

Not-A-Newfag

Literate

Butthurt much, brahje?

WTF is this shit? Like reading a community college entrance essay. You don't even support your claim. Fucking paragraphs of bullshit saying Grimoire sucks, but no decent explanation of why it sucks.

You just mad because the Incline hath cometh, and you were nothing but a sorry disBeClever. Well now you can suck it. The Crackerjack Thal hath seen fit to reward His faithful.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I have only played Wizardy 8, is this better or worse?

I might buy it but I wonder if I should play Wiz 7 that is sitting in my library first.

Try a few older titles first. Wiz 6 and M&M3 have a similar feel. If you enjoy those, you may be worthy of incline.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Currently working on helping to upgrade a popular, old, party based RPG, which we hope to see receive much higher rating than 64% positive on Steam. (2017)

Which one would that be?

1782d3b9da0d2ba5d284f0ee99f28bb6.jpg
:shredder:

HubU

Literate
@The Inquisition
Before you ask: Yes, MM are among one of my favorite franchise.

I hear your grievances, and I shall answer them:

The way it feels when you move is messy, and full of visuals artefacts, hence the "high-school project" stance. Furthermore, the art style is childish and cheap at best.
The obnoxious, repetitive, loud sound effects are just annoying and deplorable (pretty much like your Hillary vote).
The combat system is relatively ok, yet not adapted (at least for the "tutorial" area).
It's a mess that crashed two times, with not explained systemic failures (If I wanted to play a cheap alpha rogue rpg, I'll get one of the 25 available for free via a simple Google search, thank you for nothing).

This is a product aimed at cunt-starved autists who can't get over the fact this genre will, sadly, never will see the light of day again in a professional fashion.

So buru5, Not-A-Newfag and jfunk,
Wishing you a painful dick cancer with a pinch of AIDS,

HubU

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
@The Inquisition
Before you ask: Yes, MM are among one of my favorite franchise.

I hear your grievances, and I shall answer them:

The way it feels when you move is messy, and full of visuals artefacts, hence the "high-school project" stance. Furthermore, the art style is childish and cheap at best.
The obnoxious, repetitive, loud sound effects are just annoying and deplorable (pretty much like your Hillary vote).
The combat system is relatively ok, yet not adapted (at least for the "tutorial" area).
It's a mess that crashed two times, with not explained systemic failures (If I wanted to play a cheap alpha rogue rpg, I'll get one of the 25 available for free via a simple Google search, thank you for nothing).

This is a product aimed at cunt-starved autists who can't get over the fact this genre will, sadly, never will see the light of day again in a professional fashion.

So buru5, Not-A-Newfag and jfunk,
Wishing you a painful dick cancer with a pinch of AIDS,

HubU
Could you explain why though?

HubU

Literate
Why do I not conform my own idea(l)s of taste to yours?
Tricky one, Poltersperger.
Because I just like to spite you, shiny snowflake.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Came to say that I have the exact same crash as mercyRPG

Looting the gate key from Aquavia (or whatever it's called) causes the game to crash with "ERROR 'ResPack.cpp' Line 671 Data Record Index Exceeds End Of Binary / 19"

Can you tell me the specific steps you use to generate this bug? I have run through that area, gotten the key and unlocked the gate four times to see if there was anything wrong. It's just smooth, no problems there.

Themadcow

Augur

Better look away when Bards Tale 4 launches then eh?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Came to say that I have the exact same crash as mercyRPG

Looting the gate key from Aquavia (or whatever it's called) causes the game to crash with "ERROR 'ResPack.cpp' Line 671 Data Record Index Exceeds End Of Binary / 19"

Can you tell me the specific steps you use to generate this bug? I have run through that area, gotten the key and unlocked the gate four times to see if there was anything wrong. It's just smooth, no problems there.

Probably it is related to looting in general? Other people reports crash while looting.

HubU

Literate
HuBu sounds like someone who writes articles for Salon or Vice, look at all that puke-inducing hipstery edginess. :lol:

Jumping on a bandwagon never was so easy. Need a new Cleve or what?
I simply stated that this game, for what I experienced for the time being, did NOT live up to the built hype.

Opinions are like assholes, I like to like my own.

TCAC

Novice
Did pcgamer.com delete their Grimoire article? The links to it don't work for me, and I can't find it on their site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom