Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because in the other thread it's impossible to actually discuss the game over all the shitposting, use this thread instead.

Started out in the forest, explored it almost entirely and found a nice chest with some loot in it.
Now I have several problems that maybe some of you might answer.

- I went down into Aquavia, and there's a locked gate with a huge keyhole in it. How do I open it? I tried everything but nothing seems to work.
- On the topic of keys, what do the different types of keys do? I got a common gate key, a perk key, and two locksmith's keys. I have no clue what they're supposed to do. They definitely don't work on that gate in Aquavia...
- Sometimes my ranger discovers things, but I'm not sure which tile they are on. Do I just have to comb the area for a tile with a chest on it, or is there a way to find out what my ranger discovered?

makchanka

Arbiter
Regarding mechanics:

What the fuck is actually going on in this game? Why does my shirt say "metallurgy" on it? Why do shoes say "inspection?" Are these the skills required to successfully assay an item?

The big circle on the right of the inventory screen describes encumbrance, right? Does the red line also describe encumbrance or does that track another stat?

Anyone have any clue what stats do yet? Anyone remember what sort of spells the various caster classes have from the superdemo?

omg we're space twins, ormagoden.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
- I went down into Aquavia, and there's a locked gate with a huge keyhole in it. How do I open it? I tried everything but nothing seems to work.
Try looking around the area some more. There's something you've missed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ah, I found that when my characters discover a secret, some blocks in the wall can become touchable and act as secret buttons. Good to know.

rickralsten

Educated
Is there an ideal way to allocate the bonus points at character creation? Like, put it into HP for tanky charactes, into skills for spellcasters, etc? I don't want to fuck it up in basically the pre-game (although old-school character creation is basically a game unto itself :D)

roxor

Novice
Is there an ideal way to allocate the bonus points at character creation? Like, put it into HP for tanky charactes, into skills for spellcasters, etc? I don't want to fuck it up in basically the pre-game (although old-school character creation is basically a game unto itself :D)
From my experience, atribute points are most precious, so at char creation, i always put everything into atributes. You can train skills (at least most of them as far as i know) by using them, so dont put points here.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
How do you use a spell book?

Casting spells?

PCS8ZT6.jpg

Click that icon (click the arrows until you find it) and then select school of magic and spell and the power level you want to use.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Also

For casting spells you can simply right click on the action icon and it gives you all the available options for that character. Figured this out about an hour into the game. Speeds things up a bit.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ability Scores
  • INT: Intelligence
  • WIS: Wisdom
  • WIL: Willpower
  • STR: Strength
  • CON: Constitution
  • SPE: Speed
  • AGI: Agility
  • FEL: Fellowship (equivalent to charisma)
  • DEV: Devotion (equivalent to faith)
  • MET: Metabolism
  • DES: Destiny (luck, karma or both)
ARMOR
  • NAC: Natural Armor Class
  • BAC: Basic Armor Class
  • CAC: ???
  • IAC: ???
  • MAC: Magical Armor Class (?)
  • TAC: Total Armor Class

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
The manual is desperately needed, not only for the abbreviations, but for what stats are needed for the "prestige" classes, so to speak. Hard to say how much info is going to be in it.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I heard some rumors about the game having level scaling?
Can anyone confirm?
Only read this on v, probably where you saw it too. No idea if true. I remember a Cleve post saying this was something he was not going to do.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
To get the most out of exploration you'd need,

• Detect Secret spell
  • True Sight spell
  • someone with Scouting
  • sometimes Danger Sense helps

mbv123

Arbiter
Uncovering character building and gameplay mechanics in a game like this entirely by yourself is like half the fun. So I will deliberately abstain from the use of manual.
I think the reason there's no manual because Cleve himself can't figure out what he coded during the 20 year span.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- Sometimes my ranger discovers things, but I'm not sure which tile they are on.

It's always none other than the tile which is occupied. But it can be one of the walls party is facing if you're in an interior. Keep up Detect Secret, it will blink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom