Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So, one of my characters got hit by a worm and went to -1 stamina. Now, he takes 100 years of sleeping to regain any stamina at all, and he has no status effects on him. Bug?
Or some kind of disease maybe? Oh no status effect. Derp.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Gamefags inclined

R1xKzA1.png

jfunk

Augur
Oh man, when did Steam change their gifting system so you can no longer hold something in your inventory? That's super lame. I liked to purchase games when they were on sale without really knowing who I would give it to. Now you actually have to add somebody as a friend before you can even purchase it.

Tomatohead

Learned
Just saw the news, and this thread is already 45 pages lol
Not going to read it all. So, question is, after all these years, is this game worth it?
It seems to be decent old school fun, haven't gone too far yet. Still in the forest, trying to open the gate in Aquavia. Seems like the mobs are dropping 2 separate keys so far not sure if the other one will fit. It's bit rough around the edges but so far I'm having fun. No crashes or anything.

GandGolf

Augur
Good news men. DECLINE, my Grimoire Stat/Item Editor has been confirmed to work in the Release version.
Where can we get your editor? I would like to use it on my version of the superdemo.

The implication being this is just the SuperDemo released as a full game?

I don't know. But the offsets and such I used hasn't changed. Reported as working by a tester who now has the full version of Grimoire.

Zep--

Has anybody tried loading a savegame from the superdemo in full game? If it works then we may not have to wait for a new demo after all.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Here's to Cleveland Mark Blakemore at long last reaching the unreachable star.

For dreaming the impossible dream
For fighting the unbeatable foe
For bearing with unbearable sorrow
For running where the brave dare not go

For righting the unrightable wrong
For loving, pure and chaste from afar
For trying when his arms were too weary
For reaching the unreachable star

This is his quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into hell for a Heavenly cause

And he knows
If he'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That his heart
Will lay peaceful and calm
When he's laid to his rest

And the world
Will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Stood strong, with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

Mech

Cipher
I have only played Wizardy 8, is this better or worse?

I might buy it but I wonder if I should play Wiz 7 that is sitting in my library first.

HubU

Literate
Grimoire is a well-done highschool project, make no mistake, but Gamergate tanking his potential sales because they just hate being themselves for being dirty sensitive LBGQTHPTW dykes and fags?
That would be, really, waaay more declining and dishonest than he ever was.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is Cleve still a fucking faggot?
Yes he is, but the game is exceptionally good , seriously.
Meme is meme, but Cleve still is a fucking lazy cunt.
I neither believe you nor in Cleve.
Bought it, and playing it on steam, 5 hours in . Except that annoying crash to desktop when clicking on portrait, the game is well worth a wiz 7 . I know its the cool thing to bash it atm, but sorry its good.

Kitchen Utensil

Grimoire Selling Like Crazy On The Steam Store Overnight
AUGUST 4 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Grimoire was quietly released in the morning in America without much fanfare and has sold well over a thousand copies before closing hours. Not bad for an indie game written by one person with almost no advertising whatsoever of any kind. The sales seem to be increasing hourly.

Everybody who has played it has known they are on the verge of discovering something really amazing. A lack of understanding of the user interface and game mechanics has not prevented the majority of players from concluding they may be looking at one of the best computer roleplaying games ever written. The smartest ones intuit it, they don't need a press rep to give them a bag of promotional goodies for them to guess it.

For this reason, the manual is a priority this weekend and it will be released as a prototype early next week.

Initial reports of bugs in the display (mostly due to resolutions and display modes that did not exist only a few years ago) were fixed shortly after the game went live. There were other problems with 64 bit machines that were also solved in less than 120 minutes after they were reported.

This did not stop a vocal, dedicated group of politically motivated activists from deliberately purchasing the game solely to give it a bad review and then get a refund. They were trying to stop a tsunami by body surfing the edge of it. That attempt has already tanked. The incline is so suffused in Grimoire it is only a matter of time before their slander of the game is washed away by the sheer volume of people discovering how rich it is.

As the author, I know what people have not discovered yet. They are on the tip of an iceberg and Grimoire runs into deep, deep waters. The density they see now is only a fraction of what they are going to find as they push further into the game. A play of only a few hours will not even break the surface. The familiar area of the original demo, the Avian Mountains, is now only a single drop of rain in a cyclone compared to how much they will discover when they leave this area. Rather than tell people of the Dirge ... or of Waterport ... or of Bahomet Megalith ... or of the Necropolix ... or of Black Pierre ... or of the Raven Wildes ... or a hundred other areas ... or of the vast story that awaits them ... would only spoil the fun. I prefer to let word of mouth do that for me, the best kind of promotion of them all.

He really is a genius. I'm a bit jelly.

:excellent:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just looking at Steam to see if Grimoire has cracked the top 100 or whatever. Not updated for 8/4 yet, but it will be interesting to check tomorrow. Amazing that Team Fortress 2 still has 59K concurrent players. That game is 10 years old!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So, one of my characters got hit by a worm and went to -1 stamina. Now, he takes 100 years of sleeping to regain any stamina at all, and he has no status effects on him. Bug?

You should report suspected bugs or glitches in the Steam threads.

GandGolf

Augur
Has anybody tried loading a savegame from the superdemo in full game? If it works then we may not have to wait for a new demo after all.

Just tried putting a superdemo save into my Grimoire directory. Game crashes when you try to go to the load game menu.

Damn. Looks like us cheapskates will have to wait for Cleve to make a new savegame compatible demo which probably won't be until version 2.

HubU

Literate
If you're so kind, I'll take a few minutes to be honest here:

Grimoire is released, yes, at last. Is it what was promised? No. Is it anything else than that chinese dish you crave for after a bender and that, although rather bland and cheap, satisfies your hunger nonetheless? Yes, it is. But it's just that.

On the other hand, I want to, to some extent, salute Cleve for his work, as flawed as it is, since it was still a one man's job.
And not any man. A guy who's pure narcissistic, self-absored nature allowed him to transcend the actual facts. He was just one step removed from a daily physical gang-bang by an angry mob of post-apocalyptic nihilists. He survived that, and managed to hold the line, the hype, and, in one way or another, his (hideously deformed [editor's note]) golden baby alive and kicking.
A single man was capable of entertaining thousands, in one way or an other, for 20+ fucking years, with nothing more than an outdated blobber that barely fitted the inital 1997 release.

And I do deeply respect that.
YET, for all the crap that went with it, and how, however amusing he was, he acted, as far as gamedesign is concerned, I'll paraphrase the saying of some early american slaver patriot toward one of their perceived traitors:

Benedict "Cleveland" Arnold, if captured? We'll bury the leg with military honours, then we'll hang the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom