Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

bataille

Arcane
Stamina drain...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played it for an hour and just decided to replay MM3/4/5.The UI is really filled with a bunch of pointless clicks,there is not a minimap and when you open the map screen you can't exit it with ESC but you have to click.This is a problem because the textures are very repetitive and that makes it very confusing.Also if you get seesick from the movement,you can make it instant like in the old schools.Also the Character creator is a mess and annoying,i had to rage quit a tree times before i could even make a whole party.I don't think that the game is hard at this point.I will try it out again after a few days drinking.

Last edited:

biggestboss

Liturgist
Grimoire Selling Like Crazy On The Steam Store Overnight
AUGUST 4 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Grimoire was quietly released in the morning in America without much fanfare and has sold well over a thousand copies before closing hours. Not bad for an indie game written by one person with almost no advertising whatsoever of any kind. The sales seem to be increasing hourly.

Everybody who has played it has known they are on the verge of discovering something really amazing. A lack of understanding of the user interface and game mechanics has not prevented the majority of players from concluding they may be looking at one of the best computer roleplaying games ever written. The smartest ones intuit it, they don't need a press rep to give them a bag of promotional goodies for them to guess it.

For this reason, the manual is a priority this weekend and it will be released as a prototype early next week.

Initial reports of bugs in the display (mostly due to resolutions and display modes that did not exist only a few years ago) were fixed shortly after the game went live. There were other problems with 64 bit machines that were also solved in less than 120 minutes after they were reported.

This did not stop a vocal, dedicated group of politically motivated activists from deliberately purchasing the game solely to give it a bad review and then get a refund. They were trying to stop a tsunami by body surfing the edge of it. That attempt has already tanked. The incline is so suffused in Grimoire it is only a matter of time before their slander of the game is washed away by the sheer volume of people discovering how rich it is.

As the author, I know what people have not discovered yet. They are on the tip of an iceberg and Grimoire runs into deep, deep waters. The density they see now is only a fraction of what they are going to find as they push further into the game. A play of only a few hours will not even break the surface. The familiar area of the original demo, the Avian Mountains, is now only a single drop of rain in a cyclone compared to how much they will discover when they leave this area. Rather than tell people of the Dirge ... or of Waterport ... or of Bahomet Megalith ... or of the Necropolix ... or of Black Pierre ... or of the Raven Wildes ... or a hundred other areas ... or of the vast story that awaits them ... would only spoil the fun. I prefer to let word of mouth do that for me, the best kind of promotion of them all.

jfunk

Augur
KK58IQG.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dad, where were you when master Blakemore finally released Grimoire?

I was at home, sipping coffee, rapidly switching between tabs, so I could shitpost on the Codex while upboating and downboating reviews on Steam.

Wow, thats great dad! Thank you for your service! I am so proud of you!

I only did my duty, son. For all of us.

bataille

Arcane
ytktyjtyuj.jpg

u8l_u8oy78o.jpg

Hmmm... This reminds me of a bandaged crypt skeletron (which resides near a body of water) from another classic dungeon crawler... But I can't quite put my finger on which one is that...

mercyRPG

Cipher
Congratulations on the release of your game, Cleve!

Amazing to see all ratings OverWhelmingly Positive! Since everyone agrees Your game is Bug Free as You stated that Grimoire has no bugs, I am now forced - acting on public opinion - to buy Grimoire.

uh.. wait.. just pressed F5...
:?
what ..
why is the rating section now say "mixed"

Have you ever produced anything that the public rated as 64% positive?

+ Unfortunately just 50%. Made in 14 days for a Construct 2 game competition (2012) "Rotating platformer" category, meaning disk shaped levels, where the gravity leads you to the center sanctum. Only the title screen remains by now:
golem_img1.jpg

..after the Scirra Arcade server crashed sometime in 2015.. All servers link to the original unfortunately...

+ One paid finished Pacman/playboy mix for a medical conference that was well liked by the doctors and their children. (Turbo Pascal + VGA + sound library) (1995)

+ If you did like the Arc Thrower in XCOM 2 Long War.. :) (2016)

Currently working on helping to upgrade a popular, old, party based RPG, which we hope to see receive much higher rating than 64% positive on Steam. (2017)

jfunk

Augur
Hmmm... This reminds me of a bandaged crypt skeletron (which resides near a body of water) from another classic dungeon crawler... But I can't quite put my finger on which one is that...

Sounds awesome, I may have to play that game some day.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm too busy to try a real play session today, but I rolled a few characters and tooled around with quick start a bit. I haven't encountered any bugs yet and I tried doing things that people said crashed it and the game remained playable, so I guess Cleve's patch worked. Haven't CTD'd at all, but I see why people have been complaining about some of the sound effect frequency, etc. I also didn't experience any weirdness with my mouse.

I think the only thing that's bugging me is: are there no keyboard controls? I couldn't find a way to enable any, so it seems like everything is mouse driven. Is that right?

Running on a Windows 10 machine, 1920x1080 resolution using scale to fit (nothing is cut off, it fills up the top and bottom and shows black borders on the sides as the game is in a 4:3 resolution or something along those lines).

Note: I was only screwing around in the first area a few times and teleported to Crowl once before I stopped to get back to reality. I also launched the game 3-4 times without any issues.

edit: I just thought I'd mention all this in case you're worried about the bug reports.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I have 7 hours played and so far I am quite happy. Slight learning curve remembering how to pick locks and a few other things, been years since I did the superdemo.

90% of negative steam reviews are just morons who bought it, only played for a few minutes, wrote a nasty review, then got a refund. Ignore them, they aren't actual gamers, just bored children.
How do you lock pick? I know how to pull up the menu but I don't understand the mini game thing to do it.
click on each box on one side until every box has a number in it. Then click on the chains on each side for #1, then #2, etc.

PEACH

Arbiter
I think the only thing that's bugging me is: are there no keyboard controls? I couldn't find a way to enable any, so it seems like everything is mouse driven. Is that right?

I heard F1 showed hotkeys of some sort I think? I Could be wrong, can't load it up right now and check.

WASD can be used to move though which is a LOT faster than i've seen people moving in most streams today using the mouse

Stabwound

Arcane
So, one of my characters got hit by a worm and went to -1 stamina. Now, he takes 100 years of sleeping to regain any stamina at all, and he has no status effects on him. Bug?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I heard F1 showed hotkeys of some sort I think? I Could be wrong, can't load it up right now and check.

WASD can be used to move though which is a LOT faster than i've seen people moving in most streams today using the mouse

Yeah, I tried WASD and it didn't seem to work. But I might've not finished clicking through a dialog box - so the game may not have been accepting inputs. I'll check out F1 next time I can boot it up.

Thanks!

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Congratulations on the release of your game, Cleve!

Amazing to see all ratings OverWhelmingly Positive! Since everyone agrees Your game is Bug Free as You stated that Grimoire has no bugs, I am now forced - acting on public opinion - to buy Grimoire.

uh.. wait.. just pressed F5...
:?
what ..
why is the rating section now say "mixed"

Have you ever produced anything that the public rated as 64% positive?

+ Unfortunately just 50%. Made in 14 days for a Construct 2 game competition (2012) "Rotating platformer" category, meaning disk shaped levels, where the gravity leads you to the center sanctum. Only the title screen remains by now:
golem_img1.jpg

..after the Scirra Arcade server crashed sometime in 2015.. All servers link to the original unfortunately...

+ One paid finished Pacman/playboy mix for a medical conference that was well liked by the doctors and their children. (Turbo Pascal + VGA + sound library) (1995)

+ If you did like the Arc Thrower in XCOM 2 Long War.. :) (2016)

Currently working on helping to upgrade a popular, old, party based RPG, which we hope to see receive much higher rating than 64% positive on Steam. (2017)

"No, not even by far" would have been enough.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just saw the news, and this thread is already 45 pages lol
Not going to read it all. So, question is, after all these years, is this game worth it?

Dorateen

Arcane
Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
Grimoire's been released and so what are you gonna do
Your tongue has frozen now you've got something to play
The baby at the gates of dawn is calling you his way

You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

ITZ time has come

Refunder wants his money Cleve ain't going to give it back
He can push his own boat as we ride a turtle's back
Nothing you can contemplate will ever be the same
Every second is a new spark, sets the universe aflame

You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun a newborn in the light
Brothers and their fathers joining hands and make a chain
The shadow of the Golden Baby is rising up again

ITZ time has come

Repressed Homosexual
I played it for an hour and just decided to replay MM3/4/5.The UI is really filled with a bunch of pointless clicks,there is not a minimap and when you open the map screen you can't exit it with ESC but you have to click.This is a problem because the textures are very repetitive and that makes it very confusing.Also if you get seesick from the movement,you can make it instant like in the old schools.Also the Character creator is a mess and annoying,i had to rage quit a tree times before i could even make a whole party.I don't think that the game is hard at this point.I will try it out again after a few days drinking.

Thanks for confirming that you are gay.

This is quite possibly the BEST RPG EVER, and you are all like "Oh, there's something I don't really like about the interface, I can't be bothered to try to comprehend how it works. Pass."

How does one split stacks? I have too many throwing knives on my starting character and need to take some away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom