Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment I finished Planescape: Torment for the first time...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
and all I can say is WOW.. the writing is great, the way the story unfolds throughout the course of the game, a lot of seemingly optional? (I learned a lot by talking to people and putting pieces together myself) It's just wonderfully well written in that way, and everything ties into the main plot as well. Beamdog should be commended, as this level of artistic tapestry is just completely fantastic, they sure are a pretty talented bunch of writers. I look forward to their future output if this is anything to judge them by!!

:troll:
seriously though while the combat was trash aside from maybe two encounters (which were still easy but not trash tier) everything else was pretty good.. I never had a chance to play it when it released because I was a moron and dismissed it, but have been wanting to pllay for a while and so I did just that. I half expected it to be good, but not the greatest thing ever like people say, figured it was nostalgia talking.. but it's not nostalgia, this game is just that good. and not just 'good' like other crpgs where I will enjoy the moment, PST sticks around and has some instantly classic lines.

I also love how things just unfold naturally, the game doesnt need to tell you where to go, you learn by absorbing the world and what people tell you, lilke it should be.

what was it like the first time you played PST??

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
what was it like the first time you played PST?

Dropped halfway through cause I got sick of reading walls of text. Tried again about a year later, dropped again, roughly in the same spot, cause I got sick of reading walls of text again. One day I might finish it.

PST is the original nogame. If I wanna read a long text for hours, I'll grab a book; if I wanna play a game then let me play for christs sake. Decent writing, no gameplay. It was funny when Numanum came out and everybody was complaining about the walls of text but the no gameplay. I only thought, that sounds just like the original title.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
what was it like the first time you played PST?

Dropped halfway through cause I got sick of reading walls of text. Tried again about a year later, dropped again, roughly in the same spot, cause I got sick of reading walls of text again. One day I might finish it.

PST is the original nogame. If I wanna read a long text for hours, I'll grab a book; if I wanna play a game then let me play for christs sake. Decent writing, no gameplay. It was funny when Numanum came out and everybody was complaining about the walls of text but the no gameplay. I only thought, that sounds just like the original title.

Where did you stop? Did you at least meet Ravel Puzzlewell? That sequence was great!

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
what was it like the first time you played PST??

Slogged through the tedious combat. Marvelled at the story (some unforgettable moments even now). Nearly threw the computer out of the window when it kept crashing in the same place in the Fortress of Regrets. Sulked and shitposted about it ever since. The only thing stopping me from playing it again is the horror of facing that avalanche of shit combat.

I probably didn't appreciate it enough at the time as I was on a Black Isle binge and had just finished Icewind Dale (one of my favourite games ever, incidentally, and where the RtWP actually works). I only realised how good it was when every subsequent game proved to be a disappointment in terms of story.

Prime Junta

It sucked.

I statted TNO as a thief -- pumped DEX and STR, dumped WIS and CHA.

Then I read a character creation spoiler. The rest is history.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
It sucked.

I statted TNO as a thief -- pumped DEX and STR, dumped WIS and CHA.

Then I read a character creation spoiler. The rest is history.

seems like the fault lies with you then and not the game. had you just continued and I dunno, role played, you might have had a good time. saying it sucked because you chose to spoil yourself is ridiculous.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Slogged through the tedious combat. Marvelled at the story (some unforgettable moments even now). Nearly threw the computer out of the window when it kept crashing in the same place in the Fortress of Regrets. Sulked and shitposted about it ever since. The only thing stopping me from playing it again is the horror of facing that avalanche of shit combat.
Be thief, pump hide, and walk past most of it. You don't have to gather your party before venturing forth.

Prime Junta

seems like the fault lies with you then and not the game. had you just continued and I dunno, role played, you might have had a good time. saying it sucked because you chose to spoil yourself is ridiculous.

No, I ragequit because it sucked to play a low-WIS, low-CHA, average-INT character.

I only got back to it later, after reading the CC spoiler, and it became my favourite cRPG of all time. I would never have gotten there without that spoiler.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Bad combat can't be redeemed by the text. There's no reason for PT to not have interesting combat challenges. In fact, they'd add an important context to all those things like learning Dakkon's magic. Imagine if it'd really give you gameplay benefits!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Grabbed almost from get go as it seemed fucking original compared to usual shit we're shovelled, played up to Pharod a few times to get hang on it, an test out different builds an options an then settled on first proper runthrough as a strong fighter wi average INT an WIS that i pump throughout game. Build i recommend everybody try, content like unbroken ring unlocks slower, you don't really miss owt if you play clever, combat is much more fun, an you get to twat things wi a big axe so hard it makes Vhailor look like a pussy.

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm glad your brain is slowly transitioning from the ping pong ball it once was and is developing enough ridges to consider playing decent games.

Too bad this game drops the ball so definitively on combat. I don't know if that's insight into how Avellone runs his games or what. If it managed to have even passable encounters it would be an unfuckwithable classic.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
PS:T's biggest problem IMO was pacing. You walk into some random bar and spend half an hour reading some patron's yuuuuuuuuge lore dump/backstory/anecdote. Eventually I just started avoiding talking to minor characters.

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
PS:T's biggest problem IMO was pacing. You walk into some random bar and spend half an hour reading some patron's yuuuuuuuuge lore dump/backstory/anecdote. Eventually I just started avoiding talking to minor characters.

Those are at least framed as interesting conversations for the most part. Compare that to the horror of running into a Beamdog NPC in BG2, which manages to be about as interesting as the footnotes section of a Wikipedia article.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
That bar was hands the worst area in the game in this aspect. It was the one time that the game genuinely went overboard with the descriptive text and loredumps; considering how early you can come across it, I can only imagine how many new players were scared off because of it.

And, a fun fact: Colin McComb is the one who did the writing for that bar. I guess the lore-dumpiness there kinda makes sense considering how he previously worked on the Planescape campaign setting.

Clink

Educated
Beamdog should be commended, as this level of artistic tapestry is just completely fantastic, they sure are a pretty talented bunch of writers. I look forward to their future output if this is anything to judge them by!!

The youth don't care but they should.
Beamdog has nothing to do with "artistic tapestry" or "great writing". The game was created by Black Isle Studios, not Beamdog.

As many here predicted - quite soon nobody will remember who has made Planscape: Torment.
That's how the shapes of reality change with time. So sad to watch it.

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Beamdog should be commended, as this level of artistic tapestry is just completely fantastic, they sure are a pretty talented bunch of writers. I look forward to their future output if this is anything to judge them by!!

Beamdog has nothing to do with "artistic tapestry" or "great writing". The game was created by Black Isle Studios, not Beamdog.

As many here predicted - quite soon nobody will remember who has made Planscape: Torment.

I don't understand. Beamdog made this game. It's on the Steam page.

Sultan

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Why are you trying to steal away Beamdog's momentous achievements? This is very problematic.

Lurker47

Savant

Why are you trying to steal away Beamdog's momentous achievements? This is very problematic.
He's probably just transphobic or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom