Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Balts in general consider themselves more civilised than Poles and try to be more polite about it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Then why did you join, scrub?

I don't think any of us have experienced incline in this pure a form. A lot of people will come in, confident. Three days later they will be found on a couch with bits of their brain everywhere.

Lurker47

Savant
I'm not exactly sure how the Cabinet system would work and if it's a good idea to exist in the first place though it is very interesting. This has always been a very big problem for me in RPG's either with 1. Your character coming to a conclusion that you didn't because you aren't really paying attention or some other variation of this or 2. You knowing something or coming to a conclusion before your character is allowed to express it. One breaking immersion and the other hurting your ability to progress and experience the game with neither having any crystal clear solution.

Now this system seems to lean towards the latter- how automated is the system? How much control do you have over the thoughts and obsessions? If you don't have much control, then you could clearly get slotted into a role that won't let you solve a mystery despite your better judgement. And if you do have a lot of control, then isn't it more like a journal system (which is more focused on your knowledge of the gameworld instead of being a mechanic in and of itself)?

I suppose if it's a system that picks up on what you consistently observe/learn and what possible conclusions you could draw from that and that affecting the options of how your character can interact would be interesting but I feel like there needs to be some form of moderation for it since it's supposed to run parallel specifically with your thought process. Like, you rating multiple thoughts/theories in your head with how important they are to you or something (with obsessions being some kind of RNG exception). I dunno', something that tries to deduce what any rando player is thinking at all times with a relatively restricted system seems like a recipe for sloppiness to me and it could clearly lead to a lot of autonomy being taken away from the player when trying to develop their character's personality.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not exactly sure how the Cabinet system would work and if it's a good idea to exist in the first place though it is very interesting. This has always been a very big problem for me in RPG's either with 1. Your character coming to a conclusion that you didn't because you aren't really paying attention or some other variation of this or 2. You knowing something or coming to a conclusion before your character is allowed to express it. One breaking immersion and the other hurting your ability to progress and experience the game with neither having any crystal clear solution.
The "solution" is to understand the difference between a player and a character. Do you also get confused when you can't physically punch the screen to kill the dragon?

Lurker47

Savant
The "solution" is to understand the difference between a player and a character. Do you also get confused when you can't physically punch the screen to kill the dragon?
Nah, lol. There's always going to be some sort of divide but there are times when those things become frustrating. It's of course, largely understandable. I think this is a lot more of an important "potential issue" for this this game since it's steadfastly focused on a central mystery and character-building.

Prime Junta

Now this system seems to lean towards the latter- how automated is the system? How much control do you have over the thoughts and obsessions? If you don't have much control, then you could clearly get slotted into a role that won't let you solve a mystery despite your better judgement. And if you do have a lot of control, then isn't it more like a journal system (which is more focused on your knowledge of the gameworld instead of being a mechanic in and of itself)?

Short recap from what I've gathered -- those in the know please correct me if I'm wrong:

It works like an inventory. You find thoughts by having conversations (both internal dialogues, with your skills, and with other people) and by interacting with things, otherwise known as Doing Stuff. You can reject the thoughts at this point. You can equip these thoughts, which gives mechanical bonuses and changes the way people relate to you. And you can -- over time -- process them into higher-level, more concentrated forms of themselves. I.e. you have a quite a lot of control over the process: what thoughts are available depend on where you put your skill points, what you did before, what thoughts you currently have equipped, and whether you accepted the thoughts when they originally came up or not.

However it is a branching path of sorts. You can reverse course but it takes time -- you won't be able to unequip Fascist and equip Liberal off the bat, but if you've been evolving toward Fascist you can start rejecting Fascist thoughts and accepting, equipping, and processing Liberal ones and move yourself more in that direction.

Or, naturally, you could do the honourable thing and cultivate Communist thoughts from the start, avoiding all that back-and-forth.

Lurker47

Savant

Short recap from what I've gathered -- those in the know please correct me if I'm wrong:

It works like an inventory. You find thoughts by having conversations (both internal dialogues, with your skills, and with other people) and by interacting with things, otherwise known as Doing Stuff. You can reject the thoughts at this point. You can equip these thoughts, which gives mechanical bonuses and changes the way people relate to you. And you can -- over time -- process them into higher-level, more concentrated forms of themselves. I.e. you have a quite a lot of control over the process: what thoughts are available depend on where you put your skill points, what you did before, what thoughts you currently have equipped, and whether you accepted the thoughts when they originally came up or not.

However it is a branching path of sorts. You can reverse course but it takes time -- you won't be able to unequip Fascist and equip Liberal off the bat, but if you've been evolving toward Fascist you can start rejecting Fascist thoughts and accepting, equipping, and processing Liberal ones and move yourself more in that direction.

Or, naturally, you could do the honourable thing and cultivate Communist thoughts from the start, avoiding all that back-and-forth.
Ah, thank you. That's very interesting. I thought it'd be more involved in how you perceive evidence instead of your political leanings- which would have been a lot more interesting to me tbh.

Hopefully there will be some form of C&C involving switching and reversing thoughts (especially political ones). That'd really tie this kind of system together completely for me.

Lexxx20

Learned
Prime Junta, hello, comrade. I have a question regarding METRIC that - I hope - you can answer for me. I'm translating this article about METRIC right here and stumbled upon these sentenses:

1 In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute.

2 The maximum amount you can spend on a Skill is equal to it’s Attribute. (Natural aptitude equals the learning cap).

Now, am I right that having Intellect of 3 means I start with Encyclopedia skill of 3 and can further pump it by 3? So, starting attribute of 3 means that all associated skills can be raised to 6?

Prime Junta

Now, am I right that having Intellect of 3 means I start with Encyclopedia skill of 3 and can further pump it by 3? So, starting attribute of 3 means that all associated skills can be raised to 6?

That's how I read it too.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the system though, so perhaps Marat Sar can confirm?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Thanks PJ!

I thought it'd be more involved in how you perceive evidence instead of your political leanings - which would have been a lot more interesting to me tbh.

Every detective is a person and has their own convictions - these color the way they perceive a situation, an interviewee, or a whole case.

Prime Junta, hello, comrade. I have a question regarding METRIC that - I hope - you can answer for me. I'm translating this article about METRIC right here and stumbled upon these sentenses:

1 In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute.

2 The maximum amount you can spend on a Skill is equal to it’s Attribute. (Natural aptitude equals the learning cap).

Morning, guys.

Here´s METRIC in a nutshell: The level of your stat, say INTELLECT, will be the cap for your skills. If you have an INT of 3, you can then assign up to three points in Visual Calculus or Conceptualization or another INTELLECT skill. You can also have no points in any given skill. I guess that would be the equivalent of "untrained" or something of the like. So if you have zero points in Vis-Calc - you won´t be able to use that skill. Oops, no. The rolls are STAT + SKILL, so you can still use the skill, but the more difficult ones will be beyond you.

If you want to be a super duper brainiac type character - you better max out your INT up to 6 so you can put so many points in the INT skills either when you´re creating the character (you´re going to miss out on those other skills) or as you level up (like a normal person).

Last edited:

Prime Junta

And the Finnish expression for Estonians is "Russian."

Not where I'm from. Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard any regularly-used expressions for Estonians, which is a little strange when you think about it.

Lurker47

Savant
Every detective is a person and has their own convictions - these color the way they perceive a situation, an interviewee, or a whole case.
That's good to hear, at least. I just had the idea that the order in which you discovered evidence would lead you to different conclusions and follow divergent trains of thought- is there anything like that?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
And the Finnish expression for Estonians is "Russian."
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Now - if you wish to know more about good old me - you can do so in our Devblog or head off to 3DTotal.

I´m posting the picturesque bits that are relevant to the topic at hand here:

1104_tid_charapaint-373x700.jpg

I think you´ve seen this necky lady before.

1104_tid_charatoon-700x361.jpg

But you might have missed these ladies. Rostov does most of the character concepting, but I do one or two every now and then.

1104_tid_enviro-430x700.jpg

This is what I usually do.

That's good to hear, at least. I just had the idea that the order in which you discovered evidence would lead you to different conclusions and follow divergent trains of thought- is there anything like that?
Yeah sure? It´s tough to tell you without examples and examples would be spoilery. Essentially - if you come to wrong conclusions - things go wrong with the case. Is that a bad thing? Up to you as the player.

Lurker47

Savant
Yeah sure? It´s tough to tell you without examples and examples would be spoilery. Essentially - if you come to wrong conclusions - things go wrong with the case. Is that a bad thing? Up to you as the player.
Interesting. I'll be happy to see whatever you release when it comes.

Lexxx20

Learned
Morning, guys.

Here´s METRIC in a nutshell: The level of your stat, say INTELLECT, will be the cap for your skills. If you have an INT of 3, you can then assign up to three points in Visual Calculus or Conceptualization or another INTELLECT skill. You can also have no points in any given skill. I guess that would be the equivalent of "untrained" or something of the like. So if you have zero points in Vis-Calc - you won´t be able to use that skill. If you want to be a super duper brainiac type character - you better max out your INT up to 6 so you can put so many points in the INT skills either when you´re creating the character (you´re going to miss out on those other skills) or as you level up (like a normal person).

Now I'm a bit more confused :D

So, the article I linked is a bit outdated?

Because I understood the statement

"In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

as: I start a game with Intellect of 6 (parent attribute) and have 6 points in Visual Calculus because of that. Should it instead be

"In the beginning the MAXIMUM amount of points you COULD have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

?

If that's so, then I got it :)

Now, with a starting Physique of 4 I coud put 2 points in Half Light and 2 points in other of 5 Physique-related skills, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom