Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Epic Risen Lord tanking: Stacking RL dmg resistance and DD dmg reduction. Item-wise, this epic undead is far from optimized at this point but is still very hard to drop. I forgot Defensive Stance cancels when you move, but whatevs. You can see it in action at some point.

And here we have Weapon Master vs. Val with CPP + Tony K installed. Val AI is more aggressive in melee with this setup.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
worlds most worthless bard
The single most irritating thing about her was when I sold the haste boots she had to get boots with +3 dodge ac instead and bought her a helmet with haste (basically gaining +3 ac for her in the process) and then she said she doesn't like to equip helmets because it destroys her hair.
She would just de-equip the fucking helmet. I had to buy the haste boots back losing at least 100k gold in this entire matter. This must be intentional trolling by the author.
Other than that she wasn't that bad as long as you use her with a ranged weapon at least, she can't melee for crap.

After reading this post, I must I must I must play the Swordflight trilogy now. This guy RougeKnight is something else. Talk about giving your NPCs color! :hahano:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, Conan Chronicles. I don't know if I'm replaying it because of how it seems like you can play any damn class in it and find some spot for your class to shine, the sheer awesome that is Basil Poledouris' music, or the way the dialogue is written, which somehow fits the setting and lets you express your character in many ways, from evil to asshole to nice guy.
Might lp this someday if I ever get familiar enough with DnD to do it justice.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Swordflight CH:1 done I beat the last battle for the module was pretty challenging actually (Pouring alchemist fire on my weapon was key). I liked the twist ending explains everything about the Bard's chaotic stupid behaviour "daddy issues", still charging someone to identify items that could help you survive when you're trapped in a dungeon packed with undead just dumb. People keep telling me Zarala has "great potential" unless that potential is running into trash mobs with a light crossbow and instantly dying I'm not seeing it.

On to CH:2 anyway I might reset my character in a training module first as I wasted my skillpoints on worthless skills (re-skilling between modules isn't cheating right?).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The ending is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina, depending on how you look at it. If you assume Zarala has been lying all the time (which isn't that much of a stretch) and can get over the fact that there's a convenient personal connection between the master and the spoiler, and that the spoiler's timing is impeccable then it's fine, I guess. I liked that the master is something you can't beat, it gives potential for further development and it gives motivation to continue adventuring, really great touch.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Zarala's reluctance to wear helmets would ideally be discovered in Ch. 1, where it does not cost one so much, but I suppose some players did not bother trying to give her a helmet at that time, or forgot about the results, or assumed she would have gotten over her silly attitude by Ch. 3.

In my experience, Zarala's ineptitude is actually pretty typical of NWN henchmen from a wide range of modules, though granted most modules are easy enough that the AI's incompetence does not matter too much. She at least typically provides useful buffs before charging into trashmobs and dying, which is more than many henchmen do. You will unfortunately have to spend a great deal of time with her in the course of the series, which will however most likely provide the satisfaction of watching her die horribly over and over again (only to be forced to raise her, but, hey, you can't have everything).

Thanks for the kind words many of you have been giving my modules in this thread. FYI, I have just uploaded the latest version of Ch. 2, which should correct the bug Ventilator of Doom discovered.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
On to CH:2 anyway I might reset my character in a training module first as I wasted my skillpoints on worthless skills.

Just in case you don't know, you can delvl char with "GiveXP -10000" (f.e) and rebuild from lvl1.

But if you don't like the skillpoints assigned in chargen, you will need to create new char. You can export old char, import into PGC3 module, store and save your items in its perma-chest (pull lever to save items), restart PGC3 with new char, set lvl/gold, loot those items from the chest, export, and then import the new char to Chapter 2. It's not necessary to do that, ofc.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
With 16 Dex + a dex potion she isn't that bad as a crossbow girl during part one, it's just when you're playing a wizard for instance and need her to melee tank that it's a bit worse because that 9 STR hurt. She has a tendency to run up in melee range and only then shoot the bow (possibly to trigger more AoOs because why not lel). Still playing a rogue/wizard I only used up 3 charges from the elemental rez mac guffin and one of those charges was for the fire elemental in the golem room. With the cleric I'm playing right now I only used that 1 charge for the fire elemental.

In part 2 you don't really use her at all except at the end and then she comes very strongly equipped. So far I only used a single respawn (in pt 2). That was when fighting the evil doers in that fortress with that high level wizard (Uraz?) going timestop, black blade of disaster, bigby spells and so on and so forth, which was very hard for a rogue 2/ranger/1/cleric 12. You can't really kill him quickly, you can't force your team to focus him (can't control who they attack). For a wizard that would have been an easy thing, lesser breach, forceful hand kthxby. So when I actually got him killed because by sheer coincidence the rest of my team also focused the wizard and then my character died to the other 2 enemies I just used the respawn instead of trying the fight again. Later I realized why I always died that quickly in that fight. I had de-quiped my armor because I had trapped the corridor leading up the the door before the fight, in case I need to lead some mobs over a dozen traps and then I had forgotten to put the armor back on. The lesson here is: once you're done trapping the corridor, re-equip your armor.

Now in Chapter 3 Zarala tends not to die at all so far.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd use summons and a tanky familiar (Panther, Hell Hound, as much as they can be tanky anyway) to get around Zarala not being able to tank. I used both an animal companion and a summon when playing a druid and I didn't really feel all that behind due to the xp penalty (if there is one), I got to level 5 with both a cleric without summons and the druid with summons.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The henchmen in CH2 seem way better, just got the tiefling he can fight and do locks and traps, makes me wonder what the celestial could do if I chose her instead. It is really much more difficult than the base game and expansions which I've played, enjoying it so far.

You can export old char, import into PGC3 module, store and save your items in its perma-chest (pull lever to save items), restart PGC3 with new char, set lvl/gold, loot those items from the chest, export, and then import the new char to Chapter 2.

That is super useful, cheers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The aasimar and tiefling are interchangeable in the usefulness department, mainly because they are mutually exclusive IIRC, I think they are both rogues (at least she is, rogue + blackguard). She isn't very good in combat, though, she drops like a fly every time someone looks at her. I actually have a screenshot of her general stats -

wkEmomu.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, PGC3 is great for setting up chars. Average dmg sparring dummy and crafting is cool, too. I just wish the gladiatorial arena was more customizable. As in, +CR monsters and tailorable equipment. Because it seems they are just squishy generic trashmobs compared to what Vordan and Heroic Dream offer.

In regard to NWN companions, and in light of the dumb AI, I think it's best if builders roll with Bards for the insta-songs and any build that can activate an aura, like Lich fear. I've been testing HotU with CPP + TK's, and Deekin is far from useless. He's also finally spamming Curse Song, an AoE debuff.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The amount of issues that CPP + TK's fixes, I'm on the verge of saying they're must-have.

I played TK's a decade ago, but I didn't remember how much it improves the game. Lot of reports of people having glitches, but worked fine for me.

Also, pretty big update to my NWN write-up. I've steamlined it a bit to remove waffle, too. "General Mods" section is a WiP still, but I'll try to order the mods in order of their importance and usefulness over the next few days (which is somewhat subjective, ofc). A lot of the old, outmoded "shit" is getting cut out, so maybe save the page locally.

Will the NWN burnout ever come?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Imo you should be careful with TonyK AI for NWN1 (the one for NWN2 is great). It can break mods, for instance make mobs hostile that are supposed to be neutral and similar stuff, make all mobs on a map stream towards you making some encounters almost impossible to defeat, for instance in Blackguard Trilogy when all the mobs on the map your supposed to defeat one group at a time suddenly attack all at once you're in for a treat. Then there's stuff like telling henchman not to disarm traps yet they do it anyway etc.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I have not extensively tested the results of using Tony K's AI in conjunction with Swordflight, but I do not recommend it. I have myself made alterations to some of the Henchman-related scripts, as well as a few Custom AIs for select creatures, with which it might conflict. A default installation would also improve the AI of hostile mobs as well, which could be a bad idea in Swordflight. Some of the enemies you face were left stupid for a reason.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I mean TK's for HotU. Works fine, but some people have reported glitches in the last few years. Might be due to how they set it up. I don't mod Swordflight with even Project Q anymore because I'd hate for it to shit itself. Plus, on my laptop Swordflight loads slow so I don't want to slow it down even more with Project Q or lots of overrides. I just use a few overrides, like the one that stops you looking like a turd when you're under the effects of Barkskin/Stoneskin.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I know from personal experience that Tony K's AI mod can really fuck up a playthrough of the original NWN1 official expansions. Fearsome hostiles with scrotums the size of b-balls would sometimes inexplicably act like eunuchs and cower in the corner when I used it. Tony K's AI is best used only when the module author has designed his module with it in mind, and in that case they'll frequently integrate it into the module itself. Play standalone Tony K's AI at your own risk. Definitely not recommended for normal use.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there a build calculator for NWN1 online or available for download that will make it easier for me to plan builds? Something like this. I'm thinking of doing a Rogue/Cleric/something else, but there are a lot of things I've forgotten and it would be easier to plan beforehand with everything available, also figure out what that "something else" is.

Sabotin

Scholar
You can try using THIS. It's an excel spreadsheet that works pretty much the same way. Although I remember using it years ago, I can't get it to work now (no classes to select in the drop down menu).

I've got a question about mods: when is the patch hak stuff (project Q) applied? As in, the Q content will override the base/CPP stuff and module specific haks will overwrite everything, or will module specific stuff be overwritten by project Q?

And secondly, is there a 2da file that has information about heads that can be deleted? Some heads from Q appear where they shouldn't (Valen in HotU looks Persian or something for example and I've encountered some Star Wars alien heads in other modules...). I'd rather have none extra than wrong ones appearing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I figured that spreadsheet in literally 15 seconds. You click the big CLASSES on the top, it takes you to the portion where you select which classes you intend to use and voila, you can now select the class at each level-up. It's a bit clunky to use because the drop-down menu for the feats gives you ALL the feats in the game. It displays those you can't have in red, but you have to select them to know this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom