Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
:lol:

Okay.

Beastro

Arcane
It's a fucking shame to be honest. There are quite a lot of things in Civ VI that I enjoy a lot mechanically speaking but that doesn't mean much when the AI is what it is.

And I don't mean that the AI is merely bad at some things. I wouldn't have that much of a problem if it was just a bit stupid at times. But it's basically broken. And while there have been improvements, the fact that it hasn't gotten better than it is in the time since release is just... sad.

I thought they'd start doing that after CivIII. The graphics were fine, mechanics too besides some terrible shit, the one thing missing was the AI.

Same went for the AI for a lot of games.

So naive I was back then....

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Firaxis seem to have suicidal tendencies, considering how little they support their big games like Civ and XCOM. A patch for each DLC is not acceptable in my eyes.
The Ghandi agenda about nukes, and certain other agendas, are still broken. Do we see a hotfix? lolno.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
You know what's a bummer? Nubia is now in the game, and we're on the 6th iteration of Civ without any Balkan state represented.

They've had Zulu, Mali, Ethiopia and Nubia. They've had the Polynesians. The city state of Venice.

But no Balkan state. No Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia (I'm excepting the Greeks/Macedonians here, for obvious reasons).

:negative: :outrage:
I just wanted to say that I'm happy to see people butthurt about random european countries being underrepresented.

Of course they'd pick exotic cultures rather than generic european countries.

Welcome to the Hall of Shame, nigger-lover.

giphy.gif

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
CivIV runs flawlessly on my hi-end rig and I had no problems with long turn on by old piece of rag-tag crap, powered by hamster wheels. Never long turns or loading times. Map regeneration took 3 seconds on old Pentium and now. The only difference, strangely, that on my current rig game is unable to load. So you have to alt-tab and go back to load process to complete.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You mean the scenarios in Civ6? Nah. I think making them was just busywork for the people otherwise not involved in designing the DLC civs.
Poland and Nubia are generally seen as top-tier civilizations but balance doesn't mean much in Civ6.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Lol, you get only quick turn times in Civ4 vanilla or small mods. Once you play the good (and large) ones, you need a really fast single core. For example Total Realism: on the huge worldmap you get really long turntimes past a certain point, since the engine has to do everything in a linear way.

Enginewise GalCiv3 is now the best 4X I know of. They did amazing work with the Ai and Engine in the latest builds. To harness this code you need at least 4 cores though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering the low end AI, low GFX quality, and rather small map, in old days single - two cores could run game like that.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Everyone has at least 4 cores now or they are playing with ancient machines.
Missed the point.
Civ4 can only use one core and its AI code is also not optimized. GC3 multithreads everything and has some clever AI code - reminiscent to chess AI programming.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Firaxis doesn't seem to get what's wrong with their design. Recently they announced their plans for the fall update and for "rounding out religion".

Religion gets fleshed out with new beliefs and religious units. Two new Pantheons will be get introduced into the game, along with new Founder, Follower, Enhancer, and Worship Beliefs. These beliefs unlock the ability to build two new buildings as well as a new combat unit, the Warrior Monk.

We also heard your requests for a deeper overall experience – and took that to heart with revamped religious combat. Religious units can now exert Zone of Control and receive Flank and Support bonuses in religious combat. Meanwhile, the Guru religious support unit can heal nearby religious units.

Finally, the Religion Lens has been overhauled to improve overall usability and readability. You’ll also find UI touches, such as religion indicators on unit flags, to remove all guesswork on where a unit’s allegiance lies.

Their fix to the - in my opinion stupid - religious combat is even more religious combat with greater tactical depth tedium.

The “Fall 2017 Update” brings some major changes. The biggest: An update to the Religion system is coming to Civilization VI. I’m Sarah Darney with the dev team, and here’s a quick heads up on some of what you can expect.

ROUNDING OUT RELIGION

Religion gets fleshed out with new beliefs and religious units. Two new Pantheons will be get introduced into the game, along with new Founder, Follower, Enhancer, and Worship Beliefs. These beliefs unlock the ability to build two new buildings as well as a new combat unit, the Warrior Monk.

We also heard your requests for a deeper overall experience – and took that to heart with revamped religious combat. Religious units can now exert Zone of Control and receive Flank and Support bonuses in religious combat. Meanwhile, the Guru religious support unit can heal nearby religious units.

Finally, the Religion Lens has been overhauled to improve overall usability and readability. You’ll also find UI touches, such as religion indicators on unit flags, to remove all guesswork on where a unit’s allegiance lies.

MORE UI, BALANCE AND AI TWEAKS COMING

There are also a good number of UI, AI, and balance enhancements coming with the “Fall 2017 Update.” Here are some of the stand-out improvements.

The oceans are safe no longer, as the AI players have increased their building of naval units, as well as fleets and armadas. Additionally, they are better at healing and protecting their naval units. Brace for coastal assaults! With the upcoming addition of one of our new civs, this change is especially exciting.

We’re removing the least useful Gossip messages, which means you will now receive the most important news about what other players are up to, and you won’t have to search through all of the world’s happenings to get to it.

Finally, you’ll notice overall changes to the UI, including an update to the Diplomacy screens to ensure all information is clear and easy to find. Beyond this, the Great People art has been updated to feel more “great” and make this screen easier to navigate; Capital icons now show on city banners in the Espionage Mission selection menu, and many smaller changes have been made to the menus to make screens more moddable and extensible.

More changes are coming soon with the “Fall 2017 Update” and we’ll give you a full breakdown of everything going into it when it’s live. In the meantime, follow the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #OneMoreTurn, and be sure to follow the Civilization franchise on social media to keep up to date with the latest news and information on Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It doesn't matter what they do unless the AI changes really hit home. It's still as retarded as on day one.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I was skeptical from the front, but the second that priest got behind me..
praise be.

Grif

Learned
All these changes really shows that Firaxis does not even understand their own game.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why do i have a feeling there won't be a expansion whatsoever?
Just release a broken dlc civ every couple of months and easy money is probably what firaxis is thinking.
The game already sold millions so why bother.
But even 5 expansion packs couldn't fix this mess.
It is a Frankenstein of bad civ 5 ideas coupled with bad new ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom