Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Those random CYOA sections between city travelling are going to be a massive pain in the butt. I can already see the first mod is going to remove that shit out of the game.
depend on how varied and interesting they are
Obviously. But 90% of the time these "random sections" get old after 2 hours of playtime. Seems like a waste of money to me anyway. I can't imagine not skipping them when I'm 20 hours into the game.
How dare they add more game to my game? :P

A lot of people like the CYOA sections and requested more of them. They allow Obsidian to do stuff/situations that would be prohibitively expensive to handle as part of normal gameplay.
Where did I complain about CYOA sections? I complained they were placed in between travelling, which is annoying at best.
Spread them out throughout quests instead of dumping them when I'm trying to get somewhere to buy some shit or do some other quest.

So you've never liked random encounters in any game or P&P, I take it? To me, they help inject interest into what would otherwise just be clicking on Point B on the global or city map, but I can see how that might not hold true for everyone.
As I said above, I think random encounters can be fine if they're not too frequent, but 90% of the time I just want to kill myself because they lose all effect they're supposed to have and just become an annoyance 10 hours into the game.
This is a problem that I can see PoE2 having. They're basically going "hey, people liked this! Let's make tons more of them!" This isn't necessarily a good thing.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Those random CYOA sections between city travelling are going to be a massive pain in the butt. I can already see the first mod is going to remove that shit out of the game.
Obviously. But 90% of the time these "random sections" get old after 2 hours of playtime. Seems like a waste of money to me anyway. I can't imagine not skipping them when I'm 20 hours into the game.

A lot of people like the CYOA sections and requested more of them. They allow Obsidian to do stuff/situations that would be prohibitively expensive to handle as part of normal gameplay.
Where did I complain about CYOA sections? I complained they were placed in between travelling, which is annoying at best.
Spread them out throughout quests instead of dumping them when I'm trying to get somewhere to buy some shit or do some other quest.

So you've never liked random encounters in any game or P&P, I take it? To me, they help inject interest into what would otherwise just be clicking on Point B on the global or city map, but I can see how that might not hold true for everyone.
As I said above, I think random encounters can be fine if they're not too frequent, but 90% of the time I just want to kill myself because they lose all effect they're supposed to have and just become an annoyance 10 hours into the game.

Suicide is never the answer!

(Fair enough. :) To me, the solution is random encounters that are context-aware... i.e. I shouldn't be getting mugged when I'm level 12 and notorious, but I should maybe be encountering forces of factions I've pissed off, etc. )

/mines Friendly responses

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I submit this for a new 'Dex smiley -
Kg9CLDZ.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane

Suicide is never the answer!

(Fair enough. :) To me, the solution is random encounters that are context-aware... i.e. I shouldn't be getting mugged when I'm level 12 and notorious, but I should maybe be encountering forces of factions I've pissed off, etc. )

/mines Friendly responses

They had something very similar with 3.0 Stronghold - the random adventures you got were dependent on your Prestige(+dice), meaning that as the game went on they and their rewards became more 'epic' in scale. No real reason to assume something similar won't be in place for Deadfire random encounters.

Sentinel

Arcane
I just noticed that the city map has populational statistics on the corner.

CwFPPAz.png

That is insanely cool imo, and a nice way to deliver background info.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the addition of the CYOA stuff. I'll be sure to travel between districts a lot.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is no grammar, is accent.

I was just going to go on a tangent about what accent uses the definite article that way, but after I said it to myself with a different accentuation I get what they mean. "With this rate" is still questionable, though.

Sizzle

Arcane

CwFPPAz.png

Tsk, tsk, not even naming the poor Godlike, but putting them into the "Other" category :D

Still, 2%, that seems a bit high (unless there are some other races, like Ogres, that are included in this).

Lacrymas

Arcane
2% of 150,000 is 3,000, so I wouldn't say it's that much. Also, yeah, "other" might refer to other races, although I don't know what these could be, except ogres I guess.

Sizzle

Arcane
Could be slave Xaurip (if those are kept in the Deadfire). Apart from those and Ogre mercenaries, can't think of anything else (doubt the Vithrack would be that welcome).

Colour Spray

Educated

CwFPPAz.png

Yeah, if they figure out more ways to add that kind of background information without having npcs tell you about it, the game will be a lot better for it. There's a bit in White March where you can overhear an ogre talking about how they looted the cannons from the battery which I also thought was a nice tangential approach to filling in the lore without a bunch of stilted dialogue or prose.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh that is one nice looking part of the adventure waiting for us to explore! that rainbow in Queen's Berth next to the water wheel is a fantastic light addition and I do no recall rainbows in Pillars but even cooler would be seeing people sitting at the tables inside the building even if you cannot engage them it would add a lot looking through windows of these multiplex buildings. haven't seen how such a building looks at night either and just how many of those window arches show off a soft illumination from within. I thought there would be more fishing nets and gear strewn about or hanging off the docks but it is still early and another pass for all the areas has yet to be done.

How about some cool sounding street names too. Road North next to the Bardatto Estate sounds like a highway between settlements, not a street connecting Queen's Berth to Periki's Overlook. Wibby Lane or the Narrow Slice maybe even Queen's Avenue. who is responsible for street names? Delver's Row not so bad for the Underbelly of the city but now we know to have 50cp to enter the Gullet or fight those shady folk. :argh:

The Dark Cupboard just brews Adventurer's Mart right? Right? RIGHT! omg it just flung me right back to Athkatla with all the sights and sounds and people and things to get lost in on all the streets but that is something else I need to address. Would have loved to hear the ambient sounds of Neketaka instead of the Pillars music as it really would have added much more to the video and showcase of the city.

The Luminous Bathhouse Inn in Periki's Overlook has some sweet looking mist clouds going I can already see the islands far out to sea having a misty shroud and odd flashing lights within luring ships and crew to their ultimate doom! :o or those shipwrecks surrounded by low hanging mist eerily swaying to the haunting sound of ship bells on the breeze! :eek:

Halls of the Conga Palace just reminded me of Congo Bongo in Costa Rica lol! but gosh lots of nice detail of vines and flowers hanging off the stone bridges which is what I meant about nets and fishing gear dangling off the docks in Queen's Birth. The fish in the ponds swimming under lily pads is a nice touch! good job captain! :salute: Hope they'll be fishing rods to use so we can go fishing!!

Adam promised cloud shadows and still no cloud shadows and maybe an engine limitation right because when it is night or day and raining shadows of buildings, placeables and npcs are still visible. if shadows had already been part of the weather system then there would be no sun shadows when it is raining so what then? cloud shadows rolling across the ground when it is raining too? This gots to be fixed. :cry:

Katrina needs to stop biting her nails.

Thanks,
Sherry

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My excitement over the tour of the main city hub is being balanced by the near-certainty that it will not contain "too many" quests, and "go overboard", which was Bioware's mistake with Athkatla... Or maybe, with Bobby Null in the lead, we may yet see a deviation?

Also, I hope they didn't show us every trick up their sleeve regarding scripted interactions during inter district travel. Hopefully, there will be a crazy amount of variation and consequences of choices will be catching up with the party regularly while they are moving between districts. Finally, if combat is not resolved on separate mini-areas a la BG, there will be rage.

Huh, stealing from shops results in game load combat game load if you are caught? Just like old times. I think this feature, stealing from shops, was on my wishlist for PoE 2 among lots of other things, most of them now implemented or soon to be implemented.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

CwFPPAz.png

Tsk, tsk, not even naming the poor Godlike, but putting them into the "Other" category :D

Still, 2%, that seems a bit high (unless there are some other races, like Ogres, that are included in this).

Storm people

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, I haven't forgotten I can do that there. But that was I think the single place where it was possible.

And it's a matter of asking Josh, but I think it was scripted to work just there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, I haven't forgotten I can do that there. But that was I think the single place where it was possible.

And it's a matter of asking Josh, but I think it was scripted to work just there.

Now I'm not sure what you're talking about.

PoE1 doesn't have "in-world store inventories" where you can steal an item from a container in a store and have it disappear from the merchant's list of items for sale. But it does have plenty of places where people will attack you if they see you stealing from a container (ie, "game load if you are caught"). That's not a thing that ever went away, even though they used that reasoning to explain the absence of pickpocketing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom