Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Some games keep themselves afloat on nothing but sweet sweet Whale bucks by selling pretty dresses and shit to people (GW2). SC just took the concept one step further and removed the "receive an actual product for your investment" part.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Really quite an impressive tool.

do not confuse the procedurally generating tech with that tool itself. the tool is a banal shit that can/must be improved
that was one of the most depressing live streams

that guy didn't knew what the fuck he was doing, like he spent 10 minutes with it before the streaming and the ending was a clusteruck of incompetency.

55:57 it seems that CR is the laughing stock of his own employees for the fact that anything he hears can become a feature creep

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
The tension on the forums slowly starts to get momentum as the release of 3.0 update slipped into September and backers now recount how Chris Roberts promised that 3.0 was supposed to go live last year in December. Also the 3.0 update was supposed to be an entire solar system but was greatly reduced in scope to only two barren satellites of a gas giant planet.
It's like people start to realize how out of touch Chris Roberts is while developing Star Citizen & Squadron 42.
Is this the beginning of the end?
Will Derek Smart finally get his pound of flesh? :)

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

that guy didn't knew what the fuck he was doing, like he spent 10 minutes with it before the streaming and the ending was a clusteruck of incompetency.
Nah, it was just a poorly planned demo. At the end he was just trying to do something the editor wasn't intended to do and had likely not been done before.

One thing I'm curious about he is rotation and speed. I.e., how are ships going to land on planets and stations if they are moving in orbit? I would think that'd require almost a complete rework of the flight system to be closer to actual Newtonian physics. Maybe that's why at the end rotation had been disabled - because maybe they will nix that feature.
Will Derek Smart finally get his pound of flesh? :)
Derek Smart deserves to lose again. I hope SC gets released if for no other reason that to lol at his butthurt over it and the wall being built.
TrumpSmug.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
some dev:"It’s also important to consider that what 3.0 meant a year ago is a shadow of what 3.0 means today. Back then, we didn’t have in mind Planetary Tech (or any of the numerous infrastructure updates going into it now) "

one's response:

:)

Last edited:

ore clover

Learned
55:57 it seems that CR is the laughing stock of his own employees for the fact that anything he hears can become a feature creep
This game's development reminds me of that joke about how Hitler got the Germans into the war, and then lost it for them too. I read articles like that behind-the-scenes piece by kotaku and have to wonder if Roberts has any idea what he's doing.

"We were working through crunch time to implement a working build of the capital ships, so that they could support more than two people onboard at once, when Roberts barged in unannounced and in a cold sweat. After taking a moment to mop his profusely soaked brow he informed us that he'd just spent the last thirty-seven hours (straight!) playing a game called The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

"Between fits of hyperventilation he told us that the game featured real-time soil erosion as well as realistic and flawless npc daily schedules, both of which allowing for a fully realized simulation of everyday life. After downing two pints of spiked seltzer he demanded that we tell him why we hadn't even drawn up prototypes for these vital components for our first-person-universe product. We tried to explain that we needed to prioritize the features we'd already promised, and that the engine couldn't support these new additions anyway, but he would have none of that.

"Striking the table twice for emphasis, he insisted that we sit our asses down and rebuild the engine from scratch, so that we could implement the features and build a more perfect depiction of life in a trillion solar systems. He then rushed out of the room in search of his lisinopril prescription."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Derek Smart deserves to lose again. I hope SC gets released if for no other reason that to lol at his butthurt over it and the wall being built.
TrumpSmug.png

You seriously entertain the idea that SC might actually get released?

The most expensive as well as the most useless tech demo ever.
I thought Grimoire was a worse scam and was released, on the case of Star Citizen, you can't sell people stuff for hundreds of dollars then say "See ya!" and don't have a legal shitstorm from people from many different countries, so huge that he would need to exile on China to escape persecution, I don't think they don't plan to release anything. Chris Roberts at this point isn't some indie hipster nobody that no one knows and can run away with the money, the shitstorm could ruin him and he knows it. He would be one of the biggest cases of fraud on history with all the media on him, he would be persecuted like a rabid dog.

Now, about the state of the game at release is another story, I suspect Star Citizen will have alot less hand made content at release than promised. The 100 systems figure is rubbish, they are relying alot on procedural generated content and "dynamic" quests and "combined arms" fighting if you pay attention to the latest development updates. They are focusing on player driven content, the game will release a beta with very little hand made content and a big space sandbox for players to grind, farm and shoot pew pew at each other, build their bases and etc like any third rate Early Access Survival MMO these days have, I don't think it is a hard thing to achieve. It will be like any MMO sandbox survival game but on space at release or, as they gonna call it, to avoid people calling them out ,"beta" version.

They are smart enough to know that releasing the game this way and naming it a beta means they can release something to make their player base happy while they buy time and have access to the huge new cashflow from people that were cautious to buy the game before as they rightly feared the scam suspicions. I really suspect they don't have the money to make those 100 systems and Squadron 42 is still on early stages, they focused all their money on Star Citizen and Squadron 42 was discreetly placed on the backburner, they will divide Squadron 42 on episodes and sell it as DLC for new buyers after the beta version is released so they can make more money and claim that is okay because backers will have all Squadron 42 episodes.

Mark my words, this will be a MMO No Man Sky type of game that actually works, with some hand made content on some strategic places and that is it. About Squadron 42, most mainstream casual people don't give a shit about single player these days so Squadron 42 could easily serve as sacrificial lamb. They only need to release "something" to avoid lawsuits, a so so, underwhelming and short single player campaign on Squadron 42, will only make a small section of their audience furious enough to ditch the game altogether. Why waste money making content for it if you can make content for Star Citizen?

TL;DR: People financed Chris Roberts luxurious lifestyle for a Multiplayer No Man Sky 2.0.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom