Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise: Ascension - is anyone else here playing it?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Thanks for the replies!
I am not able to find an orc to kill, I cannot believe it. It is a guild quest and I am already pinned.
Any advice?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
The slave driver and his slavers have destroyed my Level11-15 party! What could I do to save them?
(besides hanging myself)

covr

Prophet
Patron
Grind more and escape when you are loosing the battle. I have not played Ascension though.

Zeriel

Arcane
The slave driver and his slavers have destroyed my Level11-15 party! What could I do to save them?
(besides hanging myself)

Wait for rescue/corpse retrieval button? Always works unless you are rocked (inside a wall), and the wait time penalty is really low at the upper levels of the dungeons, which is where you are.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Thank you for the replies! I has used the "wait for rescue" button at last. Do I need an alternate rescue party at lower levels or the time penalty will never be a serious problem?
I do not understand this joining multiple guilds thing. For example I have a Level16 Artisan now. I join the Thief guild. Can I level up the artisan too? Any enlightenment, please?

Zeriel

Arcane
Time penalty is most likely to be a problem if you are all humans. Different races have different max age, elves for instance will probably never have to worry about age. You DO find items that reverse aging, so it's manageable. I haven't been to the lowest levels, but the wait for party time passage started to become considerable around level 10+. Still wasn't a problem for me, but it is something to keep in mind, you probably don't want to chain die at that depth.

Multiple guilds is basically the way you are supposed to play the game to min-max. It's not necessary, but at least a little multi-guilding is how almost everyone plays. A standard setup is 2 to 3 guilds on a character. The more guilds you are in, the harder it becomes to level them, so if you try to level up every guild at once you'd have immense XP penalties as you switched back and forth. (It's not actually an XP penalty WHILE leveling so much as adding additional XP for every level you gain while in a guild to every other guild. So if you are in 5 guilds and just stay leveling in that one guild, it will level plenty fast. But the moment you switch back to another guild you'll find they have a massive amount of XP you have to chew through to get one level.)

"Mushpotting" is the practice of putting a ton of guilds on one character. It's the ultimate min-maxing in this game, but wastes a lot of time. Whether it's worth it to you to take forever to reach your "ultimate" character or just settle for a normal character who only levels a few guilds is up to you. At the end of the day, Demise is very much a "what do you enjoy" type of game. You could spend 5 years grinding out the perfect character, or just make do with a simple one. Speaking of which, some people don't use parties at all. And heck, most people never finish the game. It's like that project in the garage--you chip away at it because it's fun, not because you're trying to finish it.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
When this game is going to be discounted, ffs? $33 for 20 years old game is too much.

There is a free version available if you don't care about the Ascension additions (and other than attack speed improvement, those additions are pretty pointless, most people never finish the original game's content, new levels really aren't needed).

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've got two original copies bought 15 years ago, or sth. I want to play this with the Ascension, it adds new areas since level 5 or 7, if I recall correctly. My last playthrough was in 2007 I believe and I can't imagine playing this once again without any new stuff.
And yeah, I've played the free dojo version with unofficial expansion.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Which is better and why?
A robe with +2 Wisdom or
a white cloak with 22% DRA (resist drain)

covr

Prophet
Patron
Depends on dungeon level you're on - there are no draining monsters early on. Basically it's good to protect your weakest character (hope you're playing a party gameplay) with draining resist gear.

Dorateen

Arcane
Not to mention, you can boost your attributes with tomes, don't really need to get that from a robe. Stats should be maxed out by the time you are pushing deeper into the dungeon.

agris

Arcane
Patron
what kind of resolution options do we get? does the viewport enlarge / ui stay the same size, or does it all scale?

Zeriel

Arcane
Not to mention, you can boost your attributes with tomes, don't really need to get that from a robe. Stats should be maxed out by the time you are pushing deeper into the dungeon.

Items boost your stats over the tome cap, actually.

Zeriel

Arcane

Items boost your stats over the tome cap, actually.

Ah, for some reason I thought stats had hard caps, either class or race defined.

Yeah, they do, for their base value, which you can't raise further by stat-increasers like potions and tomes. But items go above this always.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Houston, we have a problem...
How can I kill the nastrums? They have been stoning my party.
I am following a party recommendation, but I begin to recognize it was a bad idea.
For example: Good Human Warrior 26/Ninja 131/Sorcerer, so I have no magic for 157 levels? Whoopie! :)

Zeriel

Arcane
High dex lets you attack first. Nastrums aren't strong at all, you just need to hit them first and kill them. The more party members you have, the easier that becomes. Ideally if you ARE running a party you want them to all have over 20 dex, and hopefully maxed dex, and you want multiple swings per character. Occasionally you'll still get RNG'd, but it's a one in 100 or 1 in 1000 situation.

You can also get high stone resist from spells eventually, but that's not an early game solution, and hence not a solution to nastrums.

covr

Prophet
Patron
For the last 10 years I have been fucking pissed at Demise v. much. You have to know that Demise has been my favourite game of my youth. Around 2000-2001 when I was a teenager, it was added to some crappy magazine and advertised as 'the game of 600+: more that 600+ items, 600+ monsters, 600+ hours of gameplay' or some very similar advert talk. Bought the magazine and boom! It's a fucking masterpiece. I have started a dozens of parties, got fucked up in so many times, killed Slave Driver a hundred of times and never passed the level 23 of dungeon. I've even bought the original boxed edition for 139 potatoes which was a fortune for a teenager... fuck, it's still much for a game. Played the shit out of the game with my best friend and even today we talk about Demise after 15 years! Fuck, even my wife knows what Demise is, and the only game she was ever interested was The Sims.
Then 2004 came, the expansion got announced. So I have waited, postponed my current game. I don't like playing unfinished release so I waited and waited for golden release version of Demise: Ascension, a version that never happened. The last version is something like 'silver release' which is basically a bullshit talk, wtf is silver release? And it cost approx $32 which is around 130 potatoes. I can afford this (probably) but I have bought the game TWICE and I don't want to do this again, especially for non-completed version. I know that asperger is strong with me and there is something like 3 weeks free trial but when I start playing this again I bet that those 3 weeks will pass quickly.
WTF is wrong with the world? What is wrong with me?

P.S. Does anybody knows how to change the Windows registry key? E.g. how to amend internal clock?

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Fuck my life. Just discovered that the game was on sale for $6 at Gamersgate in 2012 with some garbage games.

tindrli

Arcane
For the last 10 years I have been fucking pissed at Demise v. much. You have to know that Demise has been my favourite game of my youth. Around 2000-2001 when I was a teenager, it was added to some crappy magazine and advertised as 'the game of 600+: more that 600+ items, 600+ monsters, 600+ hours of gameplay' or some very similar advert talk. Bought the magazine and boom! It's a fucking masterpiece. I have started a dozens of parties, got fucked up in so many times, killed Slave Driver a hundred of times and never passed the level 23 of dungeon. I've even bought the original boxed edition for 139 potatoes which was a fortune for a teenager... fuck, it's still much for a game. Played the shit out of the game with my best friend and even today we talk about Demise after 15 years! Fuck, even my wife knows what Demise is, and the only game she was ever interested was The Sims.
Then 2004 came, the expansion got announced. So I have waited, postponed my current game. I don't like playing unfinished release so I waited and waited for golden release version of Demise: Ascension, a version that never happened. The last version is something like 'silver release' which is basically a bullshit talk, wtf is silver release? And it cost approx $32 which is around 130 potatoes. I can afford this (probably) but I have bought the game TWICE and I don't want to do this again, especially for non-completed version. I know that asperger is strong with me and there is something like 3 weeks free trial but when I start playing this again I bet that those 3 weeks will pass quickly.
WTF is wrong with the world? What is wrong with me?

P.S. Does anybody knows how to change the Windows registry key? E.g. how to amend internal clock?

i play it also.. to be honest this summer is the first summer that i didnt replay the damn thing.. hell i even manage to found tea room by my self once. Now, i forgot where it was AGAIN!!!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Did you know there's actually TWO Demise branches?

It's a confusing story, but the original dev gave fans the right to make a free expansion AND sold the game's rights to Deckling. As such, there's Demise: Ascension, the official expansion sold at http://www.decklinsdemise.com/ , but also Demise: The Revelation, a free fan-made expansion you can get here: http://www.dtr-dojo.com/

Of course, there's a fierce battle between both, as Deckling claims The Revelation is illegal, but it's not a clear cut issue and Deckling's business practices are atrocious.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, a pity that DTR is no longer being updated, I've played it a bit (150 hours max) a decade ago and it was fun and coherent with the original. MP server was working, I believe that some people still play DTR on multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom