Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rpgs with best gameplay?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I like Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas combat mechanics. The repair systems which affect damage, and DT/DR as well as the general combat itself is fun to me. The best combat mechanics are those that are multi-layered, where you need to deal with several systems for maximum output.
3 and New Vegas are rather different in that aspect so I think it's important that you make the distinction. The AI is too dumb, the movement too sluggish, and the gunplay too simplistic for it to be anything but tedious for me.
I liked the interactivity between skills/perks and combat that both shared. Additionally, I preferred Vegas gun or energy weapons skill improving accuracy, rather than damage that is used in Fallout 3 & 4. I also liked the more sluggish movement, and harder controls. Too many games have decided they need to be moving fast and perfect at all times. I preferred the clunky feeling and slower pacing.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know, I've played a little game called... well, you probably haven't heard of it, but it was popular a long time ago. It was called Ultima IIV. It wasn't all about killing some boss at the end, it was about finding a magic steering wheel, some rocks, and a bunch of words. Overall, not many finished it, but it inspired people with what it could do!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Best combat system i've played to date for a hack an slash arpg is probably still Severance: Blade of Darkness, pure.
Classical rpg wi turn based i'd plump for ToEE.
Strategy an tactics focused i'd go for Warhammer: Dark Omen or Shadow of the Horned Rat.

DemonKing

Arcane
Great gameplay without great design is a waste. TOEE had probably the best turn-based implementation of D&D rules ever, but the design was pretty horrible with a slavish devotion to the original module and lots of dull and repetitive encounters. I probably wouldn't rate Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale gameplay quite as highly but the design aspect was far superior meaning overall they were better games.

PST was probably the reverse of TOEE. Great design but the gameplay was so horrid I can barely bring myself to think of it as "A game".

Abhay

Augur
TOEE is actually quite better than BG2 design wise; esp. the mechanics, which kept the game very fun to play despite - lots??! Nope! - dull and repetitive encounters, which is something present even in BG2. Sure, TOEE was buggy and difficult to play for technical reasons, but a lot of the ( serious ) issues are now resolved because of the mods - Temple+ is excellent in this regards. I actually enjoyed TOEE more than BG2 for its unique gameplay, which still feels refreshing to play everytime. As an RPG, BG2 definitely scores better than TOEE, but gameplay-wise TOEE feels the most satisfying with so many combat options rather than the typical hack and slash BG2 design. Even the encounter design isn't really bad.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I thought it shows Aug 2 for me cause I'm in Eastern Europe, Steam says it's coming in 15 hours which is still Aug 1 for USA I think.

It will be outrageous if release date is pushed backward!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I thought it shows Aug 2 for me cause I'm in Eastern Europe, Steam says it's coming in 15 hours which is still Aug 1 for USA I think.

It will be outrageous if release date is pushed backward!
Hahahaha i am eastern too,so it is possible.

Ash

Arcane
I don't know why hybrid RPG's haven't adopted the "shoot a couple of times and then either of you are dead" philosophy that military shooters have been adhering to for the past decade. Bullet sponges are incredibly obnoxious in any game with real time elements. (FPS Fallouts.).

Get out. Bullet sponges are good. See: Doom 1 + 2. Barons of Hell, Cyberdemons, Revenants, Archviles etc. When it's all about instakills it's no longer so much about combat as it is who sees who and shoots/slashes first. Bullet sponges actually let combat AI go through their routines, let some enemy types that should be a threat actually be one (a big scary monster is not scary if you can just instakill headshot it), and combat lasts more than five seconds.

PrettyDeadman

You probably wanted to list another game that is released on August 1 2017.
I wanted to listed Redeemer, but if there are other good games which come out on august, 1st I would gladly buy them too.
What game were you thinking about?
Oh, its Steve's game. I am sure this too will have best gameplay as advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lurker47

Savant
I don't know why hybrid RPG's haven't adopted the "shoot a couple of times and then either of you are dead" philosophy that military shooters have been adhering to for the past decade. Bullet sponges are incredibly obnoxious in any game with real time elements. (FPS Fallouts.).

Get out. Bullet sponges are good. See: Doom 1 + 2. Barons of Hell, Cyberdemons, Revenants, Archviles etc. When it's all about instakills it's no longer so much about combat as it is who sees who and shoots/slashes first. Bullet sponges actually let combat AI go through their routines, let some enemy types that should be a threat actually be one (a big scary monster is not scary if you can just instakill headshot it), and combat lasts more than five seconds.
I'd like to say there's a happy medium. I don't think a standard enemy should take more than a clip to kill though boss enemies shouldn't be instakilled either. The problem that I usually see is that the AI is not built around the large healthpool so you just get a standard enemy that slowly walks towards you and shoots while you slowly whittle it down (again, FPS Fallouts) "Sponge" of course implies an excess of health and even if the AI is adept and interesting, if it has a "spongey" amount of health, I don't see how it wouldn't become tedious and frustrating.

harhar!

Augur
What are some rpgs you guys have played that have the great game play? I've played Pillars, Witcher, dark souls 1/2/3,Kotor 1 and 2, and enjoyed the gameplay in those. Can't stand skyrim/morrowind/Modern fallouts, find them super boring.

I'm pretty sure that you would like Gothic and Gothic 2 NOTR. They are a sort of antithesis of Bethesda games with their small but dense worlds, handplaced characters and loot, and gameplay that punishes you for your overconfidence (which is a slow and insidious killer).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What are some rpgs you guys have played that have the great game play? I've played Pillars, Witcher, dark souls 1/2/3,Kotor 1 and 2, and enjoyed the gameplay in those. Can't stand skyrim/morrowind/Modern fallouts, find them super boring.
  • Gothic 1 & 2 (specially 2 Gold)
  • Deus Ex 1 - this is a must, recomend trying it with the GMDX Mod
  • Arx Fatallis - you'll have to install Arx Libertatis to be able to play it
  • Wizardry 8 - also recomend 7 and 6, and if your not a pussy then play 4 after those three... :evilcodex:
  • Jagged Alliance 1 or 2
  • X-COM 1/2/3 - one of theese is ok, 2 is like 1 only more difficult and 3 has cool new mechanics but kind of buggy
  • Battle Brothers - this is just combat and unfortunately the pricks decided to abondon the game and because of that the sew content will start getting tiresome and boring at the 20-30 hour mark, still excelent gameplay
  • Fallout New Vegas. I would recomend you 1 but due the fact they had to develop their own system (and it was Tim Cain none the least) the game's mechanics are a bit (being nice here) broken.
  • Mount & Blade Warband
  • Realms of Arkania: Startrail.
  • Ultima Underworld.
  • Divinty: Original Sin Enchanced Edition
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
  • Severance: Blade of Darkness
  • Grimoire

Gameplay consists more than just combat, in fact a good RPG must have more than 1 or 2 ways of dealing with an obstacle (that's why recomend you Deus Ex 1 a lot). 1 thing I promise you is that all these games here have good Character Development System (and all around good gameplay) and good content (quests, level design, worldbuilding and atmosphere).

Also Dark Souls isn't an RPG, it's a Action Dungeon Crawler (or Metroidvania) with some light RPG mechanics.

... Gothic and Gothic 2 NOTR ... They are a sort of antithesis of Bethesda games with their small but dense worlds, handplaced characters and loot, and gameplay that punishes you for your overconfidence (which is a slow and insidious killer).

While I agree that every Betheseda game since Oblivion is shit (cause it's true) and every Elder Scrolls game always had weak to mediocre gameplay(at best) always with some (if not all) broken systems. What you just described is Morrowind.

Some RPGs with great gameplay:

NetHack with Vulture: great RPG gameplay (combat, item and world interaction, character development)
Gothic 1 and Gothic 2: great exploration and world interaction
Deus Ex: great stealthy combat and level interaction
Dark Souls: great action combat
Baldur's Gate: great combination of combat and exploration
Ultima Underworld: great intelligent gameplay (solving puzzles, obtaining and figuring out clues, figuring out how to proceed)
Arx Fatalis: same as Ultima Underworld but not quite as good
Risen 1: same as Gothics but not quite as good
Dwarf Fortress, Adventurer Mode: not even close to complete yet, but ultimate game EVA at some point

Jerker

Educated
First you must ask yourself what is an RPG.

harhar!

Augur
While I agree that every Betheseda game since Oblivion is shit (cause it's true) and every Elder Scrolls game always had weak to mediocre gameplay(at best) always with some (if not all) broken systems. What you just described is Morrowind.

Morrowind had a small world? Also my big problem with Morrowind is that the NPCs are shite. They just stand on the same spot and act like dialog vending machines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom