Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which genres do you want to make a comeback?

Apart from 90's fps (which will never happen so give up) I'd like to play:
a) moar western fighting games, most of them died with early-to-mid 90' Mortal Kombat hype, now all that's left is Killer Instinct reboot and Netherrealm (ex-Midway) MK and DC titles
b) moar fighting games based on simple attacks, specials and strategy rather than on 102928-hit combos, counters, breakers, juggles and all of this modern Tekken shit. Something Like TRUE successors of original NON-super-duper-hyper-turbo Street Fighter 2
c) solid 2D (!) RTS

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I'd like it if we had turn-based jrpgs again. It seems like all we get for jrpgs these days are these wishy-washy "kingdom hearts-esque" action rpg style.
I like that style of gameplay in Kingdom Hearts and I like it in Dark Souls too (I'm just generalizing, those two are quite different, of course) but I don't care for it being in most other games.
The most recent turn based RPG that I played and really loved was Lost Odyssey on the xbox 360 and I would adore it if that could be ported to the PC instead of being left to rot on a dead console. Thankfully, there are plenty of old turn-based jrpgs that can still be played, it would just be a little sad if we never got a new one that wasn't some anime trash.

I think they are still being made, mostly for hand helds and the japanese market though. For example SE somehow thought that westerners don't care about that kind of games anymore.

Like Bravely Default. I haven't played it but I guess it is enjoyed by people who are into that 90s Final Fantasy style.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Tactical shooters.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Adventure games just got dumbed down too much, and even the purists were fine with that direction. I know I am a contrarian, but all the ways the earlier adventure games could fuck you over as well as having interactions that were there just for flavor and fun was part of the appeal. Once they got streamlined to hotspot clicking and "good design" was worked out, one realized how hollow experiences they are compared to other genres which did better in the storytelling department as well.

And I feel like having too engaging of a story in an adventure game just doesn't work for majority of gamers, especially in an age where you want to be "done" with games and beat them as quickly as possible. I had this problem with Gabriel Knight. It got so interesting at some point that I just had to look up a walkthrough so I could experience the story faster, and not get bogged down by the puzzles. I know, it is degenerate, but that's also the reason why TellTale moved away from gameplay to interactive cutscenes. They know. Mind you, I don't really like that approach.

As for beatemups, there is Yakuza series.

Last edited:
Sandbox MMOs. The Holy Grail of game development, we have yet to have the one great one. UO and SWG in their prime came the closest, but were still very flawed. If the sandbox sub-genre ever got something equivalent to WoW in themeparks, people would literally never leave their apartments.

RTS - something deeper than just build/harvest/kill though. Deep supply chains, RPG elements, social and religious aspects. Something like CK but in RTS format.

Teepo

Scholar
I forgot about the Bouncer. I remember playing it for sure, but it's been such a long time I hardly remember the game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agree with proper MMORPGs like Ultima Online. WoW destroyed the genre for me.
Also make a Sacrifice 2 god damn it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
As for beatemups, there is Yakuza series.
Someone recommended that to me on another forum. I might give it a try when I have a PlayStation again. My second PS3 died two years ago. Yakuza seems to be more about the story and adventure elements, though. Streets of Rage gets right to the fun.

I tried the demo of Zeno Clash. It was alright. Might buy it when it's discounted. I also played a bit of The Warriors after someone recommended it on a previous page. I stopped during a mission where you have to tag walls, after accidentally aggroing the spray paint merchant. But I intend to give it another go soon. Seems like it could be fun. Edit: Oh, there is more than one spray paint merchant in the mission.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
as someone who is just playing yakuza 5 for the first time, its story doesn't get in the way of the action. matter of fact you can have too much of it because the game has random encounters

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I've been wanting a modern beat 'em up. Stylized and with almost non-stop action. Sadly, they seem to have died with the arcades. The weird thing is that I was never even into the old ones. So I gave Streets of Rage 2 another try. I enjoyed myself. Couldn't be bothered to learn all the moves, though. I only made it to the underground arena, level 4. I still want a 3D beat 'em up. In my desire for one, I wrote a simple concept.

As far as beat em ups go, double dragon 4 was released earlier this year and it's pretty good (something feels off with it though). DD: Neon was pretty good too (actually, it was pretty great for what it tries to be). The remake pack was shit though.

4: http://store.steampowered.com/app/528610/Double_Dragon_IV/
neon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252350/Double_Dragon_Neon/
remakes: http://store.steampowered.com/app/314150/Double_Dragon_Trilogy/

Severian Silk

I would vote space sims with stories except I suck at sims and cen never remember the controls. :(

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Turn-based tactical games. Jagged Alliance, X-Com etc, except maybe with a little less emphasis on realism. Lazer Squad and Lords of Chaos were loads of fun, and more modern versions of those would be awesome.

A good space game would also be welcomed. Think games like No Man's Sky with actual gameplay and content. Think someone trying to recreate games like Starglider (2) and Mercenary, where the game world is just one solar system instead of a whole galaxy or something oversized like that.

Sjukob

Arcane
I still want a 3D beat 'em up
Have you tried this ?
uUF9giS.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom