Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Struggling hard to finish Dishonored 2, every time I get to a Crack in the Slab I just get deflated, the time piece gimmick is cool and all from a technical standpoint but you have two versions of the mansion, one where there are alot of guards and another where the mansion is mostly empty with exception of a few dogs, why should I ever try to learn enemies patrol routes if I could just move with impunity for the most part on the empty mansion and just go back in time when really needed it? This is just boring gameplay, yeah, it is sorta of interesting the same way Prey hologram glass was but they don't add much in terms of interesting gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I am not sure but in HD you may change walking speed in town and global game speed by changing FPS in options (may not work this way, never tried get past 60 fps).
If HD mod is the one I've played, getting to Butcher is a bit tricky (a bit, I mean, really easy, but not just "open the door"). Don't grab all stuff that drops, just yellows, greens and uniques.
The peg legged boy gave me a quest to open town's portal once I reach the Butcher's floor, I think? It was some weird Yoda speech, hope I got that right. Wonder what will happen.

Krivol

Magister
I am not sure but in HD you may change walking speed in town and global game speed by changing FPS in options (may not work this way, never tried get past 60 fps).
If HD mod is the one I've played, getting to Butcher is a bit tricky (a bit, I mean, really easy, but not just "open the door"). Don't grab all stuff that drops, just yellows, greens and uniques.
The peg legged boy gave me a quest to open town's portal once I reach the Butcher's floor, I think? It was some weird Yoda speech, hope I got that right. Wonder what will happen.

Yep, that's correct.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
BTW, are there any secret areas in the town? I can see a bunch of named cows across the river, but I can't reach them.

Krivol

Magister
AFAIK there are none - well, there are 3 (?) new areas in town but those are quest realed and shouldn't be considered secret. Cows are probably some kind of easter egg (you know, that D1 "secret cow level" legend).

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Got to the third tileset in Diablo 1, i.e. floor 9 (out of 16). Think I'm gonna drop the game here. It's just getting way too repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I love Diablo clones, but I'd rather play something more modern than slog thru this. Not sure if this is the mod's fault, but in later levels there's hoards of archers and they shoot at you like from 2 miles away. Coupled with the horrible movement speeed this is a big problem. Basically I have to hide behind walls, kite as much as I can, exploit the AI when they're passing thru doors, etc. It's not fun.

By the way, turns out, there was a lot of cut content shipped on Diablo's disk. Lots of quests, complete with graphics and even voice acting for all the classes. The HD mod restores/recreates most of them. Some of these are very cool, like Horazon's Sanctum for example. Blizzard eventually reused at least half of this content in Diablo 2, though. Still, this mod is probably the most impressive work for a closed source game with no official modding tools that I've ever seen. It feels like you're playing a source port/remastered edition, but it's actually the original executable with tons of on fly patching. The author is either seriously gifted, or must have spent many years reverse-engineering and mapping the code.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
After almost a year, I picked up Resident Evil Zero again. Got off the train. Not bad. Inventory management is getting a bit tedious, though.

morrowind2017-08-0103s9s7s.png

morrowind2017-08-0103u4skm.png

It's that time again...

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer
I'm currently wasting my time between my developing title and modding Rimworld. While my coding skill is not as sharp as my numerical skills, I can balance hundreds and hundreds of variants of a given product or concept, but not create things really well from scratch. As such, the programmers are working on the substance, and I'll shape it to the required features and refinement.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Sherlock Holmes:Crimes and Punishments. I bought it during the last steam sale after reading recommendations in the relevant thread in the adventure subforum. It's the first Holmes game by Frogwares I played and I enjoyed it a lot,good detective mechanics and it allows you to be wrong which is always a big plus.Recommended

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Playing through the last couple of months of Playstation plus free games, finished game of thrones telltale the other day, now working through life is strange and then just cause 3.

deuxhero

Arcane
Should be finishing up my latest New Vegas play through relatively soon. Been trying to get all the remaining achievements simply because I had almost all of them anyways. Lonesome Road alone gave me a large chunk of Desert Survivalist and completed Love the Bomb (not sure if collateral from warheads is part of that achievement, but I used grenades to take out large groups of marked men and negate their cover a lot). It's amusing how getting to the strip and entering the Tops and Lucky 38 are supposed to be the mid-point (I saw some of my first playthrough saves before overwriting them, I was about level 16 when I first got to the Strip), yet on every playthrough but my first they're pretty much the end because of the pardons they trigger. Just need some Legion Assassins to come after me so I can kill them with the right weapon.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I finished my fourth playthrough of Max Payne 2. I wish other shooters had stories so well told. I'm now going through Max Payne 1 a second time, even though I didn't like it the first time. So far, I'm having a better time with it. What I disliked most was the platforming on narrow blood trails in the dreams. Dying in a dream is retarded. In Max Payne 2's dreams, you couldn't die. The dreams also had weird invisible walls, which I just learned can apparently happen when playing the game at 60 fps. I'm thinking that might also be what made the blood trails so oddly slippery. If it happens again, I'll look into somehow capping it at 30. I don't want to, though.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Max Payne 1 has a much better story. 2 feels like it was retconned in just to have a sequel. But yeah most MOVIES these days don't tell stories that well. Unless it's a story about grrrrl powa overcoming the cishet patriarchal evil white male.

sullynathan

Arcane
Playing Just Cause 3. Surprisingly it is much funner than Just Cause 2. Beat Shadow Tactics first mission, yea this is the stealth game I've been wanting for a while.

So, Dead Space 2.

Ueghh

Pros:
- The basic mechanics are improved. Game is much more difficult, enemies are faster and more numerous, much less (half) ammo on highest difficulty. Things generally feel smoother.
- There's a cool new emphasis on throwing stuff at enemies that impales them, which includes the arms and legs of other enemies. This might have actually been possible in DS1 and I was too much of a dumbfuck to figure it out without a tutorial, dunno.

Cons:
- Setting is now on a giant space station with lots of people. Everything is open, no claustrophobia-inducing environments. Very little horror. Space shopping mall is not a scare-inducing location.
- 100% linear. I don't think you could make a game more linear. I suspect they axed the ability to access a map of the game world to avoid showing off just how incredibly linear it is (remember FF13 being released the year before?).
- Your stasis now regenerates slowly. It's no longer a complete I-win button, but it flat out encourages people to just sit around a few minutes after every other battle to recharge. Similar to rest-spamming in RPGs, except even more boring. So this ended up being a game where I spent around half of the time alt-tabbed and shitposting on the internet. Wee. The final suit massively reduces the regen time and makes things much smoother, but you'll only have it for the final few levels.
- Two new added weapons, and both are awfully balanced. Both are also almost identical. The first is a sniper-like weapon that does 100 damage (enough to take out most enemies in one hit, even without hitting a weak point). The second is actually a sniper rifle that also does 100 damage and gets ammo drops in 5s rather than 2s, making it strictly better. Keeping in mind that the normal plasma cutter maxes out at 18 damage and only gets ammo drops in 6s, you can see how silly this is. These are basically magnum-class weapons that even bosses lose limbs to in one shot, and they are both cheap and drowning in ammo (the former makes up for smaller drops with incredibly cheap store prices). Also I lied and there's a third new weapon. It's a shitty minelayer that is shit.
- Added new enemies are almost universally shit. A new dog-like enemy that hides from you like the game is some tacticool shooter, then yells aloud and charges you. Problem is they are hard-scripted to only attack one at a time, so they are always incredibly easy and just boring to fight as they slowly come at you one by one. A small enemy that crawls to you with a bomb in it. A stationary creature that spits a bomb at you if you go near. Nothing interesting here.
- You now get to stomp enemies to get items, which is kind of satisfying. But the bodies disappear for no reason constantly, which completely fucks you over unless you immediately do it when they die. The limit of corpses that can be on screen at a time seems to be 2 in some areas.
- Game is even worse about enemies completely silently ambushing you from behind and killing you. The two-legged scorpion fucks are the absolute worst at this. Rooms constantly have invisible lines that when crossed spawn enemies (sometimes in a random position). So you'll just be reading a log or browsing the store and lose half your health from an enemy that came from a place you just cleared out.
- No real bosses. The first boss-like enemy you encounter in the game is also the only one. The final boss is just killing a few repeating waves of easy enemies while putting a few bullets in the Icon of Sin eye on a wall in between. Nothing memorable like DS1's bosses.
- Plot holes and characters acting stupid galore
The crux of the story is that they put Isaac in a mental institution in order to pick his brain and figure out how to replicate Marker technology. Except, they already know how to make markers. The twist of Dead Space 1 is that the Marker was man-made, not alien. So they just forgot or something? At first I thought that maybe the religious fanatics wanted to know how to replicate Earthgov's technology, but then it turns out that Earthgov is helping them or something anyway the whole time. So what the hell? It's like whoever was hired to write DS2 didn't even read the cliff notes of DS1. Also the dumb shit with taking along the mentally unstable guy for no reason at all. Also apparently there is no actual alien technology and its just a specific shape that causes mass zombie outbreaks or something. It's literally magic.

On the other hand
Pro: One of the new enemy types is children who attack in giant waves. The most efficient way to kill them is to take out one then use your kinetic throw to throw dead children at other children, which is always a OHKO that sends them flying. GOTY 2011.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
FUCKING COMMANDER SKYWALKER! 5* Luke, Ben and R2? dsfnhsdf kJSdhfoisef-S Njfgdghf

DO have a 5* Empire team, might be able to pull off a 5* R2 though (prays).

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished Ghost Trick for the Nintendo DS. Not a bad game by any means, although I think it went a bit overboard with the quirkiness of NPCs sometimes. The animations are pretty smooth and the plot is actually pretty good, especially with the twist at the end. A handful of the puzzles were a bit obvious, but overall, I think the difficulty was not too easy and not too hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom