Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Prime Junta

i am pleased that you are still so butthurt about that poe review i must say

And I'm amused that you continue to not engage with your critics, but rather go with clunky one-liners you believe to be witty or biting. Sadly, like your tastes, they also are mediocre.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
no, i just don't engage in discussion with you, for the simple reason that i even find conversations with andhaira more interesting and intellectually stimulating

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
i am pleased that you are still so butthurt about that poe review i must say

And I'm amused that you continue to not engage with your critics, but rather go with clunky one-liners you believe to be witty or biting. Sadly, like your tastes, they also are mediocre.

no, i just don't engage in discussion with you, for the simple reason that i even find conversations with andhaira more interesting and intellectually stimulating

i <3 u both but this is getting into

a451203c2e2f30585ce917551d5f352b.gif

territory

Did you just finish a 60 hours long game that you disliked from its beginning?

nah he just went through the Div:OS curve: "hey this is kindda cool" --> "MAN THIS IS HELLA AWESOME ALL DESE PUZZLES AND SECRETS AND INTERACTIONS AND ABILITIES" --> "a bit linear huh" --> "FUCK IT THIS ENCOUNTER DESIGN ROCKS" --> "ooookay you can stop with the copy-pasted fights and interactions now" --> "aaaaaanytime now" --> "fuck this shit" ---------------> "ok I guess it was kindda good"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
junta is trolling... right?
No, he just finished a game just because of diligence.

Also if he didn't use the DRM free version, and didn't updated it into recent version, he might fuck himself up. I finished it and I had zero UI response problems. Also shitty bug forced me to download another 10 GB data just because I though I'd be fine when I download it last year and play it when I'd have time.

Prime Junta

junta is trolling... right?
No, he just finished a game just because of diligence.

Also if he didn't use the DRM free version, and didn't updated it into recent version, he might fuck himself up. I finished it and I had zero UI response problems. Also shitty bug forced me to download another 10 GB data just because I though I'd be fine when I download it last year and play it when I'd have time.

I used the GoG version, and yes it is updated.

I liked the combat, and I liked the early game. It started to go seriously south once out of the Cyseal map. The fights were still good, but there was more and more tedious busywork.

---------------> "ok I guess it was kindda good"

When do I get here? 'Cuz that would be nice.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How in the name of Mog did you become some kind of arbiter of Codexian taste?
Remember, as soon as you invoke anything along the lines of "codex hivemind" you are most likely entirely wrong. Codex is full of opinionated cunts, who agree on very little, except perhaps the top 3ish games during the semifrequent voting sessions.

Roxor is a very eloquent opinionated cunt, and so people who dislike similar things like seeing him skewer them in his detailed fashion.

nah he just went through the Div:OS curve: "hey this is kindda cool" --> "MAN THIS IS HELLA AWESOME ALL DESE PUZZLES AND SECRETS AND INTERACTIONS AND ABILITIES" --> "a bit linear huh" --> "FUCK IT THIS ENCOUNTER DESIGN ROCKS" --> "ooookay you can stop with the copy-pasted fights and interactions now" --> "aaaaaanytime now" --> "fuck this shit" ---------------> "ok I guess it was kindda good"
I think I quit somewhere in the middle there around 40 hours in. Interestingly, that's very similar to my playtime in PoE.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When do I get here? 'Cuz that would be nice.

I got there on my second playthrough :troll:

My first playthrough was co-op... how people can stomach that shit I have no idea. Lots of kinks makes it a thouroughly despicabable experience despite the sound fundamentals. Example: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514251

(Basically, Co-op is set up so that you if you go around doing shit on your own for a bit, you are guaranteed to miss out on a lot of the specially crafted co-op dialogue where you try to win arguments against the other player, and the only way to not miss out on those is for one player to follow patiently in the heels of the other)

I enjoyed my solo playthrough more, but I was also steeled for the midway grind then.

Man AoD is overrated as fuck. Sorry Codex but that's the hard truth

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't even like it but I can acknowledge it's an impressive unrivaled achievement of choices and consequences.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My first playthrough was co-op... how people can stomach that shit I have no idea. Lots of kinks makes it a thouroughly despicabable experience despite the sound fundamentals.

meanwhile I finished it in coop twice

maybe you just have shitty friends? :troll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Actually playing it with a friend who hadn't played turn-based before but is really into game systems and has better intuitive understanding of them than I do was part of the reason we stomached it for longer than we prolly should have. It was fascinating experiencing someone getting into oldschool RPG design for the first time.

He went on to play a bunch of the classics, his favourites being Planescape: Torment (was surprised by that since he normally only plays mechanically heavy games) and Ultima VII. He didn't like Baldur's Gate or AoD (though he really enjoyed the character system of the latter). He's really into roguelikes now though I couldn't say which he likes because I don't really care much about them myself (like the concept, but haven't enjoyed many in practice)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I used the GoG version, and yes it is updated.

I liked the combat, and I liked the early game. It started to go seriously south once out of the Cyseal map. The fights were still good, but there was more and more tedious busywork.

I agree with pretty much everything Prime Junta wrote. Other then the terrible writing, theme park-setting and tedious repetition, I'd like to emphasize two points from his review: one dimensional, shallow, non-choice character building and development, as well as terrible random, tiered and level gated itemization.

Seriously, the game was also a massive disappointment for me, after being initially wowed by it's combat engine and all the little tricks you're free to do, like telekinetic stealing. Seems to be hugely overrated at the Codex, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
because I don't really care much about them myself (like the concept, but haven't enjoyed many in practice)

Anything in specific that's holding you back?

Dunno, really. I really enjoyed Sword of the Stars: The Pit for example and actually completed it. Just one of those ~*feels*~ things I guess.

EDIT: I think the actual combat gets too samey for me a lot of the time. I'm looking forward to the new DoomRL, I played the old one quite a bit

Prime Junta

I've been replaying some of the tougher fights in the game, and the things I've discovered are... not impressive. There's really not as much room for creative tactics there as it seems at first blush.

First off, Pontius Pirate. I took Darth Roxor's sage advice and started combat while one of my characters was still in dialogue with him. It trivialised the whole thing. Thing is, Pontius was entirely out of the encounter the whole time. (As was one of the character in dialogue with him.)

This isn't tactics. It's cheese. An obvious exploit of the way they set up dialogue and combat mode, which is a direct result of their choice to make this a co-op game.

I had snuck one guy to the magic arbalest, and just went pew-pew-pew. Then out of dialogue, and pew twice more. Fight over.

Second, Twins-By-Fire-Joined, that not-so-difficult but extremely grindy fight....

...because the idol raises the minions after you've killed them. I decided to try pulling them out of range of the idol. Guess what? The idol doesn't have range, or if it does, it's obscenely far.

I.e. the way to beat this is still the grindy way -- take out the boss first, then keep CCing the minions as they keep popping up, while somebody goes chop down that massive hitpoint mountain of an idol.

So yeah. The combat is good for what it is, but it's ultimately pretty thin gruel. Pillars mechanics are a lot richer and more complex, but of course take more time and effort to figure out so I suppose they would turn off a certain contingent of players, moreso if their vanity doesn't allow them to play at easy modes. This isn't a bad game. It's worse: it's mediocre.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
An obvious exploit of the way they set up dialogue and combat mode, which is a direct result of their choice to make this a co-op game.

Is it an exploit if it's working as designed?

(one of the things they showcased in videos was how you could distract people in dialogue to get another person to sneak into places you're not supposed to go)

Prime Junta

An obvious exploit of the way they set up dialogue and combat mode, which is a direct result of their choice to make this a co-op game.

Is it an exploit if it's working as designed?

(one of the things they showcased in videos was how you could distract people in dialogue to get another person to sneak into places you're not supposed to go)

Then I guess not. It just feels dumb and cheaty. Distracting someone in dialogue to sneak past is one thing, locking a boss down while you take on his crew is another.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then I guess not. It just feels dumb and cheaty. Distracting someone in dialogue to sneak past is one thing, locking a boss down while you take on his crew is another.

Oh in that case, he really ought to go hostile if you attack people around him. I only used the dialogue trick to maneuver party members into better positions and getting the first attack in, which would make him go hostile against everybody.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom