Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rpgs with best gameplay?

Spacebadger

Barely Literate
What are some rpgs you guys have played that have the great game play? I've played Pillars, Witcher, dark souls 1/2/3,Kotor 1 and 2, and enjoyed the gameplay in those. Can't stand skyrim/morrowind/Modern fallouts, find them super boring.

Falksi

Arcane
I always really enjoyed Divinity 2:TDKS. It was rough as fuck around the edges, but the Battlemage setup was really fun to play, and it just had a nice platformy-esq feel to it.

Dragon's Dogma's assasin build was awesome too.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
The answer for the "best gameplay" is very subjective, and highly controversial when it comes to RPG's. I'e seen Fallout 4 and Skyrim in the top RPG's list with the best gameplay for many players. I'm not sure what would make an RPG to qualify in the category of "best gameplay" because it encompasses a lot of factors with many areas of gameplay for consideration that contribute towards a great exeperience. Some of the RPG's that offered the best ( overall ) gameplay experiences, even though not exceptionally good in other areas like story, music, characters, etc - Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex 1, Sacred 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Divine Divinity, Wizardry 8, Temple of Elemental Evil, and many more that I can't recall right now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A new quality poster has joined, who will surely be a legendary entry in the Codex anals.
The revolution is coming!It is time for the new and the progressive to take its rightful place as the rulers of the codex!Long live the newfag king!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are some rpgs you guys have played that have the great game play? I've played Pillars, Witcher, dark souls 1/2/3,Kotor 1 and 2, and enjoyed the gameplay in those. Can't stand skyrim/morrowind/Modern fallouts, find them super boring.
If you liked Dark Souls then play Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1.
There are also a few straight Dark Souls clones, though mostly not as good: Nioh, The Surge, Lords of the Fallen.
For an ARPG fan I also recommend Arx Fatalis (and Ultima Underworld, if you want to go retro).
If you liked KoTOR then maybe also Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect.
If you liked Pillars of Eternity then obviously you should play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and maybe IceWind Dale.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout/Fallout 2. No joke. They're not grindy or frustrating about combat (unless you want them to be) inspite their relative simplicity, nor are they rub-it-in-your-face heavyhanded with storyfaggotry, their gameplay is mostly lightweight and relatively harmless. You can pick them apart and point out flaws and bits shit here and there on individual aspects, and most everyone will probably agree with that and yet, as a whole, they still work like a dream and get replayed time and again.

Lurker47

Savant
I don't know why hybrid RPG's haven't adopted the "shoot a couple of times and then either of you are dead" philosophy that military shooters have been adhering to for the past decade. Bullet sponges are incredibly obnoxious in any game with real time elements. (FPS Fallouts.)

For what they're worth, I enjoyed playing Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex a lot. Though my strategizing sometimes felt like it devolved into abusing the limits of the AI.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wizardry (1981), Nethack (1985), Dungeon Master (1987), and Pool of Radiance (1988) should get you started.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I like Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas combat mechanics. The repair systems which affect damage, and DT/DR as well as the general combat itself is fun to me. The best combat mechanics are those that are multi-layered, where you need to deal with several systems for maximum output.

Lurker47

Savant
I like Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas combat mechanics. The repair systems which affect damage, and DT/DR as well as the general combat itself is fun to me. The best combat mechanics are those that are multi-layered, where you need to deal with several systems for maximum output.
3 and New Vegas are rather different in that aspect so I think it's important that you make the distinction. The AI is too dumb, the movement too sluggish, and the gunplay too simplistic for it to be anything but tedious for me.

Alkarl

Learned
With exception to the Souls games you've listed, those are all walky-talky storyfag games. I would recommend more of the same. Nwn/2, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate/2/TOB, maybe check out the Icewind Dales as well. Arcanum and Fallout/2. These are all par for the course for individuals with your particular taste. And all quite good in their own right. However, if you want a more refined pallette, hit up some of the Gold Box games, ToEE, Might and Magics, Wizardries, and some more stuff like Magic Candle, Wasteland, Bard's Tales, Dragon Wars, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom